“Fantastic!”

Wingate by Wyndham Calgary South
Ranked #32 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 8, 2012

Great hotel, extremely clean with nice big rooms. The continental breakfast was big enough and had a huge variety...pretty much didn't have to eat for the day! Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Undisclosed_12
Robin A, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Calgary South, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2012

Thank you Undisclosed_12 for taking a moment to review your recent stay with the Wingate by Wyndham Calgary. I have passed on your kind words to the staff and we look forward to your return.

Thank you!

Reviewed March 5, 2012

Stayed at the Wingate in Calgary at the beginning of March. Got a fabulous weekend rate on their web-site and got my money's worth and more. Our family was received warmly by a nice gentleman who offered helpful information about the hotel's amenities and then offered suggestions/directions for some nearby dining options - all without any prompting from us. We had a room that was clean & toasty warm on our arrival with two comfy Queen beds with wonderful linens and warm duvets - I slept like a baby! Their was a compact area near the bathroom dedicated to the microwave/refrigerator and coffee maker. The room was spacious and had great lighting - I counted 6 lamps in total which were all strategically positioned near the beds, the chair, the desk or the large mirror. The heating/air controls were easily manipulated to keep the room comfortable for sleeping and water pressure during our showers (both morning and evening) was abundant - loved the adjustable massaging shower head!! The only negative was waking to the sound of a snow removal truck scraping the driveway and parking lot of the hotel in the middle of the night. I realize the hotel was trying to make sure guests were not inconvenienced by the snow that had accumulated overnight but the noise was disruptive and unnecessary at that early morning hour (4 a.m.).

Having said that, this really is a great pet-friendly property at the south end of Calgary just off McLeod Trail and is close to great chain restaurants (Boston Pizza, Hudson's Taphouse and EastSide Marios to name a few).. A short drive will take you to the Southcentre Mall or Chinook Centre for some awesome shopping. Traffic moves quickly and smoothly on McLeod Trail so you can easily get anywhere without the stress of navigating the Deerfoot - why stay anywhere else? We will definitely be back...probably in April!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators - it is also the location for the pop and snack machines. Th...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Bonbon242
Robin A, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Calgary South, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2012

Thank you Bonbon242 for taking the time to write such kind words about your recent stay and the service your received. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to your return in April.

I am sorry for the noise from our snow removal company. I have passed on your comments and spoken with them about starting at a more appropriate time the next time it snows. Hopefully we won't have to worry about that until next winter!

We appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed February 26, 2012

We stayed here for one night as a little "staycation" for the kids when our trip out of town was cancelled due to weather. The staff was great, the waterside made our kids' dreams come true, and the room was very comfortable. The breakfast in the morning was simple but good, and it was well-stocked and monitored. (One small thing I enjoyed was that they keep coffee available all day and evening...a very nice little touch for someone like me!)

The beds were very comfortable, the rooms spacious and clean. Everything was just great...until 2 a.m. when a huge snow grater started cleaning out the parking lot, and woke me up out of a dead sleep. It took me over an hour to recover from the adrenaline rush from the initial crash of the scoop hitting the pavement right under my window, until the machine got far enough away that I couldn't hear it anymore.

Other than that incident, we enjoyed every minute of our stay. We'd stay again, and hope for no fresh snow!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank ki-tonjones
Robin A, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Calgary South, responded to this reviewResponded February 29, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Wingate by Wyndham Calgary. I am glad you were able to take advantage of our pool and breakfast!

I apologize for the noise disturbance during the night. Our snow removal company seemed to be too eager to tackle the snow. I have passed on your comments to them and they are also sorry for the disturbance.

We look forward to your return. Hopefully you can stay with us during the 100th anniversary of the Calgary Stampede. We shouldn't have snow then (hopefully!)

Thank you.

Reviewed January 13, 2012

I stayed here mid week in January 2012. The hotel was fairly busy which is always a good sign. The interior is well taken care of and spacious. The rooms are also very spacious and includes fridge, microwave, room safe, Internet and a comfortable bed. If you like to swim the pool and waterside look amazing. The breakfast was good and included with the room rate. Overall a very nice hotel worth visiting again.

• Stayed: January 2012
3  Thank Mortaric
Robin A, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Calgary South, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to complete such a wonderful review of the Wingate by Wyndham Calgary. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed January 3, 2012

I am super picky about where I stay, but I LOVE this place. We stayed at this hotel two times, once for a wedding and once for New Year's Eve this weekend. The rooms are super clean and modern, and the staff are really professional. It is not the least expensive hotel, but the breakfast more than makes up for that! Sausages, cheese omlettes, toast, bagels, waffles, yogurt, muffins, juice, cereal... Factor in what it would cost to eat out for 2 for breakfast, and the room rate is pretty decent.

When we were there this weekend, it was 10:50 a.m. and the warming tray was out of omlettes and sausage. I figured they wouldn't make any more, but then a staff member came out with more!! SO many places just leave things empty once they are gone, they are gone and you are outta luck. Not here!

Beds are really comfy, our room had a microwave and a minifridge in it. There is a pub in the parking lot too, so if you want to head out for a beer it is not far away. Lots of amenities in the area too for shopping or if you need to run out and get something.

Room Tip: Rooms on the main floor have another exit into the front parking lot, handy if you have lots of lugg...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Ilikebighuts
Robin A, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Calgary South, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2012

Thank you Calgal013 for your kind review of your recent stay. I have passed it on to our staff and they are pleased. Reviews such as yours make us proud of the service we offer and we look forward to your return!

Reviewed December 4, 2011

I stayed at this location the last weekend of November 2011 while on business. This hotel is kept up very well. Upon entering the lobby to check-in, I thought it was a brand new facility, the check-in clerk informed me the hotel is close to 10 years old. The floors and carpets are immaculate and the entire interior was absolutely spotless. I had a spacious room with a KING BED, I must say, in all of the places I have travelled to, it was probably one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. The decor in the rooms was impressive with a newer model flat screen TV. The hotel location is on the corner of a very busy McLeod Trail and Sun Valley Blvd, but it is situated far enough back from the street that road noise will not be a factor unless a moron with a hole in the muffler of his Harley decides to drive past at 200 KMH!!! The continental breakfast was better than most typical breakfasts at other locations. I didn't use the pool, but I did go and check it out, it looked to be small, you won't be doing any olympic laps in the pool.

The Wingate is walking distance from shopping and restaurants. The Darby Arms is across the parking lot and if you like a great steak, try the Cattle Baron which is also near by. The Wingate is a great place to stay if you are travelling through Calgary, you won't regret spending your money to stay at this location.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank CommanderRyker
Robin A, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Calgary South, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2011

Thank you for your kind review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us during your recent business trip and hope you will stay with us again on your next trip to Calgary. Your recommendation is greatly appreciated!

Reviewed November 24, 2011

Very spacious King room, clean, comfortable and bright. I always hate when hotel rooms are lacking on lights, this one definitely was not. There were lights everywhere. The pool was a little small for swimming in but was warm and has a nice waterslide. The hottub was clean, what more can you ask for. Breakfast was adequate with the usual toast, waffles, coffee, juice etc. Overall I had a great stay accept for on my second night in the hotel the service was a little lacking, this one incident is the only reason I didn't rate it higher. I had gotten left overs from a resaurant the night before and was wanting a plate and some cutlery to be able to eat if from. I called guest services and asked if they had any paper plates and cutlery I could use to eat my food with, the person on the phone seemed a little annoyed? but said he thought so and asked what my room was in, I offered to come down and get it but he said that is fine. I never heard from him again and those kinds of things are just unacceptable to me.

Overall great stay.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank traveljunky81
Robin A, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Calgary South, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2011

Thank you for your kind words about our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay for the most part and would like to apologize for the occurence on your second night with us. Your comments have been passed on to our front desk team to avoid the same type of situation from happening again.

Thanks again and we hope to see you in the new year!