“So sad. Frozen Salmon.”
Review of Ajisai

Ajisai
Ranked #1,904 of 3,537 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Northwest Calgary
Description: (403) 457-3802, http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/15/1559752/restaurant/Northwest/Ajisai-Japanese-Cuisine-Calgary
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“So sad. Frozen Salmon.”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I had such high hopes for Ajisai. It's only a few blocks from my home.

I went one evening when the craving hit. It was a weekday, regular dinner time. The restaurant was somewhat busy, and we had no trouble getting a table.

Miso soup was great, as were the California rolls.

My trouble came from frozen tuna and salmon, which I had a plate full of. This is a huge problem - the taste and texture of the entire meal is thrown off. The staff were not concerned when I brought it up, so my wife and I paid the bill and left.

We have not returned.

Visited February 2012

Calgary, Canada
“Good food close to home”
Reviewed July 24, 2012 via mobile

It is always a steady flow of people. I gave been twice and both times the food and service were good

“Go somewhere else”
Reviewed April 18, 2012

Ordered soft shell crab roll and the crab had gone bad. The server took the price off our bill but insisted they have only the freshest seafood. She only needed to taste it to know it was NOT fresh. It's great she took it off our bill and it's really not a big deal. Sometimes these things happen but she basically accused us of lying. Won't be going back there.

2 Thank LovesFood2012
Calgary, Canada
“Japanese food in NW”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Convenience location if you want
Japanese food in NW Panorama Hills location. A bit expensive but food quality is ok. Always busy. Service is acceptable and serves are friendly. Variety choice in menu include sushi, hot food and noodle.

1 Thank sasa99
“Great sushi in an out-of-the-way location”
Reviewed October 28, 2011

It often seems, in Calgary, that the farther from the core you travel the lower the quality of sushi you find. This is not the case with Ajisai. For me, one of the measures of a good sushi place is the size and quality of their salmon sashimi cuts. The chefs at Ajisai give a generous portion and it is very tender and flavourful. Their rolls are as good as any other and they do have a number of unique rolls catered to our Western Canadian tastes.
We have not tried their hot food yet, other than tempura, but I would expect that it is just as high in quality and freshness. The day we visited, they had a special on where every table got a free order of lobster tempura! Talk about a treat!
The service was friendly and prompt and the atmosphere was modern with dark wood table tops and white chairs. The cost is reasonable for a sushi place, but I wouldn't say that it's entirely budget-friendly depending on how much you want to eat.
We will definitely return to Ajisai, especially considering it is the closest sushi to where we live. It's nice to know we don't have to head all the way downtown anymore when we get the craving.

• Visited August 2011