“Think this might be my new favourite pub in Calgary” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Libertine Public House
Ranked #844 of 3,497 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Bar, Canadian, American, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 1st St. SW
Transit: C-Train 3rd St West Station
Aberdeen
“Think this might be my new favourite pub in Calgary”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

The Libertine is on Stephen Ave in Calgary and has an excellent selection of beers. The staff were very friendly and efficient and the place felt very welcoming. There's a small patio area out on the street and much more room inside. Stopped in for a couple of pints and ended up spending the whole afternoon / evening here just watching the world go by. Good quality food available, but the beers are the real stars here for me.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank rxpell

London
“Good food & atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2012

Good honest pub food with good beer selection. Staff friendly, helpful and efficient. We went twice during our two night stay in Calgary.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank MQandMK
Denver, Colorado
“nice and lively”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2012

nice pub and some good beers - you can sample and paddle to.

Free roast hog on Thursday and you can have an event and pre-order you own hog to!

Visited May 2012
Calgary, Canada
“Great for drinks - not for food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2011

Had a friend take me out for lunch and I chose Libertine to try since the food looked good when I was there for drinks on the patio a couple weeks ago....ummm...I was wrong. I ordered the soft shell crab sandwich and it first came under cooked then the next one was very fishy tasting. I will give high praise for the server Jen though. She immediately took away and ordered another one that was cooked and noticed that I didn't eat the other so took it completely off the bill. My friend had the special and said it was good. Nothing spectacular but good. So as my title says - go for the drinks and the service - not the food.

• Visited September 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ncmigas
Calgary
“Great renovation, but food does not standout.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2011

Dinner was alright. The space is very nice, lots of well placed TV's if there's a game on, but food is average. Mind you, prices aren't bad either, but I'd rather pay couple bucks extra for tastier. We were on the patio, which was lovely, but we were sitting on plastic patio furniture that was not kind to my behind. Some form of cushioning would have been nice. At dinner time, Stephen avenue is sketchy. Libertine is unfortunately right across from the dirty McDonald's. We were approached by panhandlers/homeless drunks twice during our meal. One of them wouldn't leave. The server was quick to take action and ask him to move away, and when he didn't, she then got one of the larger male staff members to go outside to speak to him. It was funny when she threatened to call the police, and he said "go ahead, let's see how long it takes for them to respond". He has a really good point. Although there were officers patroling Stephen avenue, and we saw them pass at least 4 times during our 2 hour meal, just not when we needed them.

Good selection of beer, I had a white grape lychee martini that was refreshing. We started with the drum and wings appy. We had all drums and they were small. I think it was $12 for 10 pieces. Not great value. Flatbreads were good, and the dipping sauces were a nice touch, but at 1.75 for a sauce, it wasn't quite worth it. I had the soft shell crab sandwhich. Innovative and tasty. A nice lemon aioli. I would recommend putting some more tomatoes and lettuce in there as it looked a bit plain, but otherwise good to try. For those who aren't adventurous, be aware that it actually is a bunch of softshell crab legs served in a bun, not a soft shell crab formed into a patty. Expect to spend $30pp after a couple drinks.

Service was average, though she could have been a bit speedier in taking our order after she served us our wings. They probably could have used 3 servers that night instead of the 2 that I saw in that area.

• Visited August 2011