“Great food but not for kids”

WURST Uberkitchen. Wunderbar
Ranked #213 of 3,756 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: German, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Combine great food, 20 hand-selected beers and the old world camaraderie of Munich's famous beer halls and you get WURST Überkitchen. WunderbarWhether it's a casual drink and a meal in the lounge or a few beers and shared apps at our always-boisterous communal benches. WURST is always best
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We visited the restaurant on a Thursday night without a reservation. We haven't been down to this area for supper for a very long time and my husband was anxious to try this German Restaurant. We were seated promptly by the friendly hostess and were waiting for one more person to join us. Our waitress came over and introduced herself and filled our water glasses but we were not offered a drink from the menu until the third person arrived. Our teenage son (14 years old) was with us and was having a hard time deciding from the limited menu. He ordered the Fondue but when it came, it definitely was not "kid" friendly, more adult fare with lots of bread, parboiled veggies, cured meats and pickles. He was thinking that he should of ordered the Wurst Burger, which in hindsight, would have been a better choice for a teenager. I ordered the Boar Chop which was delicious with the exception of the jelly that accompanied it, it did taste a bit off but I pushed it to the side. The mushroom and creamed spinach was delicious. My husband ordered the Schnitzel Chop and the Spätzle that came with it was mouth watering. The food quality was excellent for all the meals; the fondue was not to the taste of a teenager. Our total bill with tip and tax was around $140.00 with NO alcohol beverages. Add to that the $12. parking for two vehicles and it was a very expensive dinner for three people.

1  Thank Katy365

Reviewed March 19, 2013

4 of us had the pleasure to dine at WURST before heading to the Bob Seger concert. I had asked for recommendations from their menu and I think we ended up trying ALL of them. The stuffed wings were enormous and full of flavor. Chicken wings, stuffed with sausage meat, wrapped in pretzel dough and tossed in hot sauce, served with a creamy Dijon for dipping. Spicy, hot and filling. Our second appetizer was the schnitzel tacos, again, a wonderful suggestion that we all enjoyed. About this time our phones started going off informing us the concert had been cancelled till next Monday. We were enjoying the ambience and food so much, we didn't really mind. (I absolutely love the trees in the restaurant)! Our main courses came, I had the schnitzel chop, OUTSTANDING. There are not enough good things I can say about this dish. The spatzel is to die for! We passed tasters around the table, the scallops were cooked to perfection, seasoned perfectly, and were moist and delicious. The giant prawns and rabbit were both, mouthwatering and succulent. Our server was extremely attentive without being intrusive and kept our drinks full, table cleared, and all our needs met. I would not hesitate to recommend WURST to anyone looking for above average fare at very decent prices.

1  Thank Creekbragg
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Cool vibe, nice space and great selection of beer on tap. The food was enjoyed by all in our party. Would return on next trip back to Calgary.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Our first time at Wurst was in October, we didn't really know what to expect. We were in the restaurant area, it was alot more quiet than the beer hall. It was really nicely decorated, and the music wasn't overbearing.

Our server was friendly, and offered my boyfriend some great beer suggestions. We ordered the schnitzel tacos and east and west coast oysters. I can't speak for the oysters (I'm allergic) but the tacos were great!

For our main meal we ordered the cheese fondue, and Thuringer Bratwurst to share. It was definitely more than enough. Their portions are pretty big, and if you have appetizers to start, you'll be more than satisfied. Our dessert was white chocolate, and rhubarb, I don't remember exactly what it was called, but it was really good, we shared that too.

1  Thank Nikita_Grai86
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We enjoyed the ambiance, food and service was great. It is a refreshing experience of German delight. The scnitchel tjop was huge. If anything serve less food and charge less. We will definately go back.

1  Thank 1234AGS