“Nice supper with a very knowledgeable & friendly waitress”

WURST Uberkitchen. Wunderbar
Ranked #209 of 3,625 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: German, Bar, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Combine great food, 20 hand-selected beers and the old world camaraderie of Munich's famous beer halls and you get WURST Überkitchen. WunderbarWhether it's a casual drink and a meal in the lounge or a few beers and shared apps at our always-boisterous communal benches. WURST is always best
Reviewed January 28, 2013

My husband and I do enjoy going out for supper a lot. This was our first supper at Wurst upstairs. I had previously enjoyed a few drinks with friends in the basement bar. When we went, we decided that we should try some of their beer, but were unsure of the selection. Our waitress was very knowledgeable about all of the beer selections & gave me some tasters to help me decide. When it came to ordering our food, she again was able to help me to decide on a main course & gave very thorough descriptions of a number of dishes. I'm sorry, but I've forgotten her name) In the end, I had to compliment her, as it's not often that you receive such knowledgeable & friendly service anywhere. If all of their staff are as good as her, they won't have difficulty maintaining a good reputation.

The food was decent, but with the 'open' concept to their basement bar, the restaurant is fairly loud, and cannot be considered intimate. They had a silly "oom pa pa" band in the basement playing, and they made a round upstairs (I think it was unnecessary, considering the clientele upstairs are there for a much different reason than the patrons downstairs).

1  Thank Joanne O
There are newer reviews for WURST Uberkitchen. Wunderbar

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Of course weather permitting! And the main level is very comfortable
and atmopheric--down stairs, a german pub fest! Picnic tables so you can slosh your beers elbow to elbow! And of course can become very congested if you
aren't already a part of the festivities.
Main level and patio--gourmet german-salads, soups, fondues were excellent.
It was explained to us that a signature appetizer--"Bratwurst stuffed wings"
were a "must-try"--and then were told by the server they could not be available
upstairs, only in the downstairs beer hall! One of the executive chefs had told us
to be sure to try them--so for fun, We asked for the manager and requested
just a sample! Impossible! He said--"We have 2 separate kitchens--which we
already knew better. Our guests were first timers, not impressed.
Service was excellent, until the room got busy. Price per item--too expensive.
Wine selection--thin. Beer selection--above average.
Definately worth a try!

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Wurst has to be the most under-rated restaurant in Calgary. After three visits, with fabulous food and serving each time, I can confidently say that this is the norm at this restaurant. Jennifer was our waitress this evening, and she ranks with the best (and I've dined in a few restaurants!). Her knowledge of the menu and the wines was extensive and professionally offered. Everyone I have encountered at Wurst seems to be exceptionally well trained. The decor is dramatic and upscale yet comfortable. It has fantastic food, service and ambience. Expensive, yes, but not excessively so. And well worth it.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

I've had great expiriences here with food. hearty, delicious. Depending on how biz it is, it can be hard to track down a server. The basement isnt necessarily my thing, its a bit gloomy but It works for what they are doing. Great food. Upstairs looks very nice, have yet to try it out, but on the 2013 to do list.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Mix of classy but affordable restaurant upstairs with a German beer hall style downstairs. Love the beer. Food is good. Must be comfortable sharing tables with strangers... unless you make friends; then they won't be strangers anymore. Fun atmosphere.