“great beer, food and a fun night out”

WURST Uberkitchen. Wunderbar
Ranked #210 of 3,625 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: German, Bar, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Combine great food, 20 hand-selected beers and the old world camaraderie of Munich's famous beer halls and you get WURST Überkitchen. WunderbarWhether it's a casual drink and a meal in the lounge or a few beers and shared apps at our always-boisterous communal benches. WURST is always best
Reviewed November 18, 2012

When I went out with friends for dinner I wasn't expecting such a fun, rowdy night. We spent the whole time in the beer hall downstairs. Food was great but be warned they're huge portions - we got the large schnitzel to share for two- which ended up feeding 4. The choice of beer is great and if you're up for it, try the 2 litre 'boot' of beer. There was a roaming band, games, dancing on the tables, etc. It was very loud downstairs so I wouldn't recommend it if you want to carry a particularly deep conversation. It's a bit on the expensive side but I would definitely recommend it for a fun night out.

1  Thank CelloOnWheels
There are newer reviews for WURST Uberkitchen. Wunderbar

Reviewed November 11, 2012

Sure you could go here for dinner, but that's so old school. Head down to Wurst on Sunday morning for the best brunch in the Beltline, if not the entire city. The Broke Back Benny (yes, you read that right) will send your tastebuds into overdrive. Tack on a mimosa and you'll find that 11am brunch turns into a 3pm chill with drinks and friends. Why leave?

The service is prompt, the food delish, and the atmosphere is just what you need on a lazy Sunday start to end off the weekend.

1  Thank David A
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I visited Wurst for a birthday party. At night on the weekends the basement turns more into a pub/bar that can get quite rowdy. There was a polka band going around and playing at the different tables, which I thought was a great unique idea. I had a lot of fun here.

1  Thank Matt B
Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

We ate dinner here on a Saturday night in late October. Our party of five ws seated in the upstairs dinin room which had a great atmosphere. It was busy and our table was rebooked again at 830, giving us a 2 hour window for our dinner. Luckily that party never showed.

We had ordered some great German Pinot Gris and appies to start. I loved how the German fare was served with a twist. My husband ordered steak tartare and generally you would have this served with some sort of baguette or other bread. Here it is served with house made warm blue potato chips. So good (and gluten free). I had oysters to start and I cannot stress enough how well they were shucked. I can't stand when a restaurant butchers oyster shucking. So the oysters were fresh, juicy and tasty...with no unpleasant shell crunching!

For mains I ordered spinach spaetzle with rabbit and a mustard sauce. My husband ordered their wurst. Both were so good but as dinner was served we heard what sounded like a burst pipe downstairs in the beer hall. Then the alarm went off with strobes and all. Soon enough we were told the toilet had burst downstairs. That was not correct. Staff later apprised us that someone had hung something from a sprinkler, setting it off. They shut off the water for a while and our dinner came in the midst of it all. But, it appeared that everyone was having a great time, as we're we. Staff brough everyone a glass of champagne to apologize and soon enough the restaurant owner was on site making personal apologies at every table.

So after all that, my dish was super rich an I couldn't finish it all. I did order the black forest cake (oh so good with liquor infused sour cherries). Our friends had ordered chocolate and fruit fondue. It was impressive, gooseberries and all!

After dinner we headed down to the beer hall where we enjoyed some authentic brew an worked off some of the calories dancing!

Awesome night. I would come here again any time! Hope I make it out to Calgary again soon.

1  Thank NorthVan83
Reviewed October 13, 2012

How does Oktoberfest all-year round sound? We got to experience this on our recent visit to Calgary. After a long afternoon of sightseeing we decided to stop at this great restaurant which had been advertised in a tourist magazine. It was very German. Upstairs it is a quiet and peaceful atmosphere with a very good menu, and downstairs is a rollicking beer-hall type venue, complete with Bier Steins. There were more choices of beer and wine than you could ever hope to try - but the beer drinkers in our party all found one they liked on tap and enjoyed that....I had a lovely sparkling fruit cider which was a great complement to our meal. We ordered the appetizers first. This was really delicious - you MUST TRY the Bavarian chicken wings - huge chicken wings that have been deboned, and stuffed with sausage meat, then rolled in crushed pretzels, deep-fried and then coated with spicy sauce - you get three in a serving and they are delicious and filling! We shared a platter of German specialties among our group of three, and could not finish it! So many wonderful things to try. If you love German food, drink and a fun atmosphere you should come to Wurst! Fair warning though, it does get a bit noisy as the evening wears on and people start to really get into it. Expect to pay $50-$60 per person for food and beer/wine with tax and tip.

1  Thank sistersofhope