“Great service, below average food.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Halo Steak Seafood & Wine Bar - MOVED

Halo Steak Seafood & Wine Bar
Cuisines: Bar, Pub, American, Steakhouse, Seafood, Canadian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Cozy and comfortable casual fine dining with a separate lounge. Diners can enjoy House Made Sauces, Soups, and Potatoes to accompany a delicious AAA Alberta Beef Hand Cut Steak or Prime Rib, or of course our Fresh Seafood. Join us in the Lounge for a full menu as well as Pub fare made from the finest ingredients. And don't forget choose a great wine or cocktail. Finish off with a great dessert made in house with love and care.
Calgary, Canada
“Great service, below average food.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

We went to Halo because we were craving Steak and Seafood and the website advertises those as their specialities. This is unfortunately far from the truth. The steak was dry and well below standards for Alberta beef. The seafood was far from fresh. When I pay $50 for Alaskan King Crab I expect it to be tender and cooked properly, like it is so many other places in Calgary. At Halo it was fishy and rubbery. A huge disappointment from what we were expecting! Its a tough call because the service and atmosphere were spectacular. It is just obvious that halo does not focus on stocking the kitchen with Quality ingredients. The "butter" they served with the bread was the same used as the drawn butter with the seafood and was over seasoned and salted. There really is no excuse for poor steak in this city, especially if you are going to charge fine dining prices. We will not be back.

• Visited February 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank kwatt_232

Calgary, Canada
“A Pleasant Family Night Out”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

Eight of us showed up, some looking for great beef. We were not disappointed with the food or the service. The Greek cheese appetizer was to die for, as were the mushrooms and shrimp appetizers. And we are pretty sure they use butter with their sourdough bread (either that or the margarine is outstanding). Five different steaks, some ribs, and a rack of lamb were ordered for the main course and all were done properly. The only complaint would be that the plating was slow - almost 5 minutes from the time the first dish arrived to the last, meaning the first plate was cool. The evening was completed with peanut butter cake (huge portion size), a fluffy chocolate mousse, and Christmas type baklava. Everything was was nicely done. Thanks.

• Visited December 2013
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“Just Very Odd Place”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

I had been wanting to try Halo for some time so we went there for dinner last night in a group of seven. I can't quite put my finger on why, but the whole experience was bizarre. The restaurant is noisy with chatter and music so we couldn't have a normal conversation as we couldn't hear anyone else at the table. Our waiter didn't seem to want to stay in one place long enough for us to order - even though we knew what we wanted when he came over to the table. He took half of the order then ran to the other end of the table as I was trying to order my entree, to take their order before coming back. Once he did come back he was so fast that once I placed my order he ran away before I could ask for a beverage. I also had to ask (after some time of trying to catch his eye) to have my water refilled.

There seemed to be enough staff for the number of diners in the restaurant and the food didn't come quickly so I don't understand why he was in such a rush.

Despite this, the menu looks excellent with a great variety and the creme brûlée was delicious. There are much better places in Calgary for steak though.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jayne600
AIRDRIE
“Excellent fine dining”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

I went to this place with my family to take my mom out for a special dinner. A couple points on the place first off the service was fantastic our waiters name was Sergio and he was very attentive and looked after our every need the tables were spaced far enough away we didn't feel crowded. Our food was served hot and ready. My wife loves a good steak and she ordered the best in the house. She said it was cooked perfectly my mom ordered a salmon steak served on cedar plank that was really good. The portions were large and meals filling. We topped it off with a variety of desserts and they were all really good. The price was very expensive but is to be expected for this type of fine dining. Over all our dining experience was very good and we will be back but I very highly recommend that you make a reservation we did and were glad we did as this place is very busy but it was well worth it...

Visited November 2013
2 Thank dudelee
Nanton, Alberta, Canada
“Great food, great service, will be back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

I thought we'd try something different from the normal and was pleasantly surprised. I had the lobster dinner, my husband the filet and lobster - both dishes were superb. We started out with the seafood stuffed mushrooms, excellent, and finished with the bailey's creme brulee.
The service was fantastic, we will be back!

• Visited November 2013