“Great for Calgary”

Tu Tierra
Ranked #594 of 3,682 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Southeast Calgary location. There are 2 in Calgary.
Reviewed March 16, 2013

So it's not the best Mexican food in the world. But it's good if you are in Calgary and want a fix. They have recently made some changes, improving service but changing the recipes of some dishes, some better, some not. It's no over-priced, there is a vegetarian menu and you do no need a reservation.

2  Thank Poppiesandchevre

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Sorry couldn't avoid the horrible pun.

I was in the mood for Mexican food, so we decided to give this restaurant a try. The decor was very bright and cheerful, and my wife and I really enjoyed the atmosphere. It all reminded us of our recent trip to Mexico which is always a good thing in the cold and gloom of February.

The food was fresh, warm and felt like a great care was put into it. Unfortunately we weren't overwhelmed with the taste, but we may have just ordered the wrong things. We will be giving this place another try and go for something else on the menu. Also, the magaritas and atmosphere are worth it alone.

I reccomend

1  Thank northernlight_247
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have been to Mexico several times and hope I know
the difference betweeen authentic Mexican food and the
homogenized north of the border food that is so prevelant.
This food is made with care and by someone who obviously
'doesnt want it to taste like a chain/franchise from here.
Visited with my husband and two teens several times
and we are always glad we came to Tu Tierra rather than say,oh,
you know what places Im talking about : )
I'd rather give my bussiness to these very hard working immigrants
that produce real flavour than some cardboard,unimaginative corporation.
The restaurant itself as you probably have read earlier, is home where
a now deceased Chinese restaurant sat for many years.
Its livened up by sunny colored paint and trinkets from Mexico, but
thats as far as it gets. Hopefully the ownners will be able to invest
in some new window treatments, carpeting and a new bar area.But,
its clean, cheerful and the festive music adds to the atmosphere.
People come for the amazing food that is priced reasonably.
The owners and staff are pleasant and seem glad that your there.
They could do with more serving staff however.
Having been in the service industry, both waiting and management,
I can see the staff they have are pulled thin however good and friendly
they are. The restaurant would be up in sales and have a higher turnover if
more front of the house staff were working.
For example, I would have easily had a Margarita and my son's another pop
as well as some more complimentatry chips and salsa. Our waitress was just too
busy, I could see that. She was very efficent, but there is point where one person
has too many customers.
The burrittos are fresh and quite large -- the seafood, chicken and carne
all great. Stuffed jalepenos are delicious --full of avacado, smothered in white cheese and a
tomato sauce. Good for someone who wants something not too large to eat.
The tortellia soup is fantastic, also great for someone who doesn't want a larger meal.
Prices are very reasonable for Calgary --what you cant finish they cheerfully
provide a take out box for you.
Its not a huge restaurant and they dont stay open late (9 pm closing)
so plan to get there fairly early if you can, especially on a weekend. Its always busy then,
which is a good sign.

1  Thank Calamariqueen66
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I've been to Mexico many times and eaten an embarrassing number of tacos. Almost regardless of region, they have a few things in common. Small amounts of slow braised or grilled meats (innards are the best) a freshly warmed corn tortilla, a sprinkle of onion and cilantro. Simple. Fresh. Wonderful.

Admittedly, at Tu Tierra we only ate tacos, so the rest of the menu might be better, but we came for tacos, and left disappointed. Tortilla. Yes. Sprinkle of braised meat? No. Instead a vast glob of highly (oddly) seasoned meat. Too much to make eating with hands (as is the way) possible. I had tacos that were listed as a special of the house. I chose those because the variety of tacos on the menu is oddly thin. Cooked in orange juice, said the menu. Yep. I can replicate that recipe - braise meat, shred it and pour in a litre of orange juice. Serve. Not at all appetizing.

Interesting take on the cuisine, but not to my taste. And, not genuine Mexican fare, unless there is a secret region of Mexico where ravenous carnivorous pour orange juice on everything.

Service OK. Decor OK. But I'll pass on the food. Sorry.

3  Thank voegelin
Reviewed November 4, 2012

My husband and I visited Tu Tierra for lunch. There were a few other customers present at the time, so we didn't experience any feeling of being crowded at all. We had chicken entotomadas. The meal was hot, fresh-tasting, appropriately spicy and mouth-watering delicious! In our opinion, this is the best, most authentic Mexican restaurant in Calgary; relaxing and fun. Prices are reasonable and service is friendly. The facility is clean and welcoming. The location is also convenient, being just off of Heritage Drive. There is free parking available.

1  Thank Moochie-La-La