“Great smokehouse food.”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I have to be honest, I love this place... and go frequently bcs its in the core and you'll find everyone from the business crowd to the construction types here. The patrons are as eclectic as the interior decor - its great!

The service is speedy, the menu is reasonably priced, portions are great, the food is tasty and the beer is cold. What more could you ask for?

I recommend the pulled pork poutine, but anything coming from the smokehouse will put a smile on your face.

Frequently you'll find live bands playing on Friday nights, which can crowd the place, but generally speaking you should find a table without too much difficulty (excluding The Stampede - its beyond busy then with general public and private functions).

See yah there!!

Reviewed January 10, 2013

It is an eclectic place: old wooden floors, antlers at the bar, mismatched tables and chairs but it smells like Barbeque. Lots of options on the menu: pulled pork, brisket, ribs, chicken all from the giant smoker.

I went for the two-meat plate: Kansas City Pork Ribs and Alberta Beef Brisket w/ slaw and garlic fries. Ribs were tasty but maybe a bit tough for my liking. The Brisket was outstanding. Would definitely do that again. Sides were a bit disappointing though. Slaw wasn't creamy and sweet but spicy and vinegar-based. Garlic fries were "meh." Waitress brought cornbread because I was disappointed with slaw. Cornbread was better but not over-the-moon.

My wife had the White cheddar, smoked cheddar n’ blue cheese Mac & Cheese with pulled pork mixed in. This MUST be their signature dish. They hit this one out of the park. Amazing.

Portions are large. We brought some home which meant no dessert so I can't give you any feedback on that. Good food, honest price, big portions. Will be back again.

Recommendation: Mac & Cheese with Pulled Pork. Oh yes you must!

Reviewed November 21, 2012

Our convention had booked the Palomino for our opening reception. The day before I went over to have some lunch. The pulled pork was as good as it gets. The Palomino is an eclectic bar with all over the place decor. My first visit featured fast and very friendly service. 6 good beers on tap.The kitchen is open and the range hood is decorated by many stickers

The second visit was our opening reception the next night. There were about 250 of us that night. The bar was well staffed and once again excellent service. We had a choice of pulled pork, Alberta Beef brisket or ribs, plus corn and baked beans. The brisket was outstanding.

The convention ended at noon a few days later, and I went over once again for lunch. I wanted to try their chili - which is competition grade. The chili is not for the faint of heart - but if you like it hot this is the place. The chili has really tender beef chunks in it. They served it with a piece of cornbread to put out the fire afterwards.

The Palomino is not a family place by any means. It's a really neat sports/music place. They have a downstairs stage and have events through the week.They also have a patio in the rear.

They are located in downtown Calgary right across from the 1st Avenue
C train stop..and just down the street from the Center street stop.

1  Thank azrundfunk
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Upstairs atmosphere was great, the smells from the kitchen were intoxicating, as was the beer. Service was very good and fast, food took awhile but it was busy. we were a big group and had no problems. Wanted to go downstairs to see the band but they wanted 15/head, there was 18 of us..........that woulda doubled the people downstairs if we went in, but they wouldn't make a deal for that big of a group so we chilled upstairs and headed out after some of the best nachos i have ever had, hot as hell but tasty.

1  Thank mwheaty
Reviewed October 15, 2012

the staff was very friendly and it was an awesome place good atmosphere. i loved drinking there! there was an awesome dubstep dj upstairs and a rockin hardcore metal band downstairs. i would definitely go again.

1  Thank Ryan M