“Good pasta but cold!”

Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Delivery
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Kensington Road NW
Transit: Dolce Sapori is only a 10 minute walk from the Sunnyside C-train station, and there are many city buses which pass through this popular and lively area just outside of downtown Calgary. For a detailed map of our location, please follow this link: http://mapq.st/htr3UW
Reviewed April 6, 2012

My daughter and I decided to eat here for dinner today as we were in Kensington and I just read about this restaurant in Avenue magazine and the review was positive. We arrived early without a reservation but there was no one dining so it wasn't an issue to seat us. We wanted to eat quick so we just ordered pasta. I had the butternut squash ravioli and my daughter had the sausage pasta with tomato sauce. The food came timely however we noticed on the first bite that both of our dishes were a touch cold.

I told the waiter that the food was cold and he said he just saw it plated. I told him the food was tasty, just a bit cold but that it was fine (I didn't feel like waiting for it to be warmed up). As we ate we noticed that the middle of the dishes were hot so I'm guessing the plates were really cold. Although the food was very good, the low temperature made it slightly less desirable. The butternut squash ravioli in particular was divine. I also had the cheesecake which was pretty good but a tad too creamy for my liking.

I guess I was a bit disappointed that we weren't compensated anything on our bill for the cold food. I didn't feel that the waiter was all that concerned about it or maybe didn't believe us. Served on a warm plate, I wouldn've given this experience a better rating. I'll try this place again, if only to return for the ravioli.

1  Thank FluffyBunnyFeet
There are newer reviews for Dolce Sapori
Reviewed January 4, 2012

We waited to the last minute on New Years and then decided to go out for dinner.
There was not a lot available for reservations but we decided that this restaurant sounded like it was worth a try! On OpenTable.ca we saw that the reviews for the food were positive but that there were some questions about the service. I would agree whole heartedly with this.
Upon being seated we were given 3 menus: a New Years set menu, a sharing menu and an a la carte menu. A bit confusing... when asked about the New Years menu the waiter shared that it was all on the menu... We then asked about the sharing menu and his opinion on portions and dishes. He replied that he "didn't really know as he normally works in another part of the restaurant." We found this funny more than anything but it definately showed a lack of training and awareness.
We were very pleased though when our dishes came out. We had a Seafood Antipasti to start, a gorgonzola pasta and lamb two ways. The first two were excellent; far better than I was expecting based on our experience to that point. The lamb however was very overdone. When our waiter checked the quality we told him this and he did not know what to do. He then ran away, when he came back he said that "it was no big deal" and that they would buy us desert "or something". We are pretty laid back so were fine with this, and even overcooked found the lamb to be quite good!
It is unfortunate that such good food will be missed by most as the service will prevent people from recommending and maybe even returning. It was awesome food but at the price I feel it needs to be a comprehensive experience.

1  Thank Hammy_Teare