“I enjoyed my breakfast!”

Patisserie Du Soleil Bakery and Cafe
Ranked #6 of 35 Bakeries in Calgary
Cuisines: French
Alberta, Canada
“I enjoyed my breakfast!”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

I had breakfast with a friend on a weekday. The place was not yet busy so it was easy to have a conversation. The service was polite and professional. I enjoyed my breakfast of eggs, 'real' ham, breakfast potatoes and great toast. The coffee is good. When we were leaving, a group of 12 people were on their way in for breakfast, so I'm sure it would been a loud restaurant at that time. I'm glad that we have this restaurant in the Woodbine area.

• Visited July 2014
5 Thank wbsAlberta

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“Great food!”
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

We've eaten here a few times - the food is great! I love the eggs Florentine.
The atmosphere may be lacking, but the service and the food make up for it.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank Wayne L
Calgary, Alberta
“A Neighborhood Nook”
Reviewed December 16, 2013

This cafe is is a big surprise in Woodbine. It is not a place you rush in and rush out but a meeting place to share with family or a good friend. The food is excellent and the choices are great. Nothing goes too fast but this is not McDonalds it is pleasant dining. The bakery take home items are just great. The prices are fair on the food and the baking.
Yes the atmosphere could use a little help. It is noisy and feels a little cold because of the concrete floors but bearable.
We have held our staff Christmas party there two years running and had only the very best of food and service for a very fair price. It is usually packed. Take a good friend. Relax and enjoy

• Visited December 2013
3 Thank Myrna90
“Reality cheque, please!”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Some background: We live 2 blocks away from the Patisserie Du Soleil. Three years ago, when it first opened, we were excited to have an independent little cafe in Woodbine.

Fast forward 3 years later: the Patisserie is nothing but a disappointment. The food is consistently good, but the service is consistently terrible. We have turned around and walked out on more than one occasion. Like today. The poor teenage girl trying to hostess could not keep track of guests arriving and had to apologize that "They'd run out of menus". On other occasions, we've been told they were not serving a certain item, only to see it brought out to the table beside us. Another time, we were told that the restaurant closed in 20 minutes, so we'd have to eat our dinner quickly. We saw a sweet old couple being told to leave on Valentine's Day because they did not want to order the expensive set menu. They will forget to bring your drink, or the side salad, or cutlery. Furthermore, in 3 years, the portions have shrunk by 1/3 but the prices remain the same.

The atmosphere is cold and sound bounces off the floors and window. Chairs screech against the floor. The smaller baked goods are buttery and delicious, although you're taking a chance with their cakes, pies, and loaves.

It astounds us this business is still around. Although this review may seem harsh, it is born out of our frustration with a restaurant that has potential to be so much more. We've given up on the Patisserie Du Soleil.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Withingmann
Calgary, Canada
“Great Dining Experience”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

After working around the house all day we decided to treat ourselves to a casual dinner out. We Googled casual dining in Calgary and found this restaurant. We were not disappointed, it was a real treat and priced very fairly.

My wife had Beef Bourguignon and I had the special of the day, salmon with a saffron sauce.
We both enjoyed our meals and the serving sizes were outstanding. The sauce on my salmon was one of the best I have tasted and the piece of fish was larger than what I serve when we cook salmon at home, Same for the Beef Bourguignon,it came in a large bowl with plenty of veggies. I found the beef to be a little smoky for my taste but my wife loved it.

For dessert we shared what looked like a chocolate covered pretzel but in reality seemed to be some kind of chocolate cookie covered in chocolate. No other word to describe it but delicious.

We will go back, no doubt.

However there were a few minor irritations.
1. the server really rushed us to order our food. We were there at 17:30 and the place was not busy.
2. my diet coke was delivered in the bottle and I prefer when it is a fountain service and you can get refills. The price was the same as in restaurants that do have fountain service.
3. I never did see the bill. You go to the cash register to pay and she told us the amount and that was that!

By the way the total bill for 1 glass of wine, 2 meals, an expensive coke and 1 dessert was only $43.00; a great bargain, despicably since the food was excellent.

• Visited October 2013