“Pleasantly surprised!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
“Pleasantly surprised!”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I stayed he for 2 nights in September 2012! Totally exceeded my expectations. The room was so clean, especially the bathroom. The breakfast in the morning was one of the best free breakfasts I've ever had. The pool and hot tub are also great! Al the staff are friendly and efficient.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Tatum P
Kim R, General Manager at Best Western Premier Freeport Inn & Suites, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
It is wonderful to hear that we exceeded your expectations for cleanliness, breakfast offerings and service. I appreciate you taking the time to post your review and comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I would give this hotel six stars if I could. This will be the hotel I always come back to when I'm in Calgary from here on out.

Admittedly, the hotel is in an odd location and is definitely not downtown or close to much of anything. However, it's SUPER easy to access the airport and the Deerfoot Trail, which means it's quick to get just about anywhere around Calgary. The bypass to the mountains is the next exit from this hotel.

However, short of being in an odd location, this hotel overperformed and outperformed almost every single one of my expectations. The rate was insanely reasonable - the best of all the hotels I checked. The hotel was spotlessly clean (I'm I'm a stickler for clean0. I couldn't find a single spot that wasn't clean - even the area behind the bed was spotless - no hair, crumbs, etc. The room was well decorated, comfortable bed, great having the fridge and microwave, the TV was stellar and definitely large enough for the room.

The bathroom was great, awesome water pressure, and the bath supplies were great. The shampoo and conditioner didn't turn my hair into an unmanageable mess! Wow! I will agree with a previous reviewer who mentioned that the towels were bad. They are. They were so rough they scratched me as I dried off.

The breakfast was one of the best "free" breakfasts I've ever had - amazing waffles and omelette bar (although the weekday omelette chef was much more friendly and outgoing than the weekend chef), complete with good potatoes, sausage, bacon, toast, bagels, muffins, cereal, fruit salad, etc.

Where the hotel really shone, however, was in its staff and customer service. I've stayed at the "big name" prestigious hotels around the world, and the staff here did more to make me feel like I was a valued customer to them than any other hotel I've ever stayed in. The first time I checked in, they didn't have a regular room for me (I got there late), and rather than turn me away, they upgraded me to a King suite (complete with sitting room and a fireplace between the rooms... swanky!) for no charge. The check in was efficient, pleasant, and the staff had lots of smiles for me.

The special moment happened on the day I checked out - as I was leaving the city for home, a cab hit my vehicle and my car was totalled. I called to see if they had room for me for another few days so I could get my rental, get over my concussion, and deal with insurance people. At first, I was told that they were sold out and couldn't help me, but after a few more seconds, the amazing clerk told me that no, they were able to find a room for me. Same amazing rate that I paid earlier, even though they were completely full.

When I checked in, the person behind the desk remembered me from my check out that morning, asked how I was doing, if there was anything the hotel could do to help with the insurance and car rental stuff, and then upgraded me to a jacuzzi suite for no charge so that, "my day would end up better than it began." It was such a small gesture, but just knowing that someone at the hotel cared enough to even think about what would make my day better made such a huge difference for me. My day was so improved with this little gesture, and I was able to soak away the aches and pains of being in a car accident thanks to the amazing jacuzzi.

The hotel is beautiful, quiet, and very soundproof. The amenities are great and better than your average "airport" hotel. Where this hotel really shines, however, is in the freedom its staff are given to treat its customers as people and as valued guests. Words cannot possibly hope to share how impressed I have been with this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Beth A
Beth, thank you so much for this wonderful review about your experience at our property. We are continually coaching our staff to be empowered and look after our guests in individual and unique ways. This is a great story of how our coaching is paying off - thank you for sharing it. I hope you have recovered from the accident and will be able to visit us soon. We look forward to your return
Grande Prairie
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I understand that conducting reno's while being open can be very difficult. During my stay of three nights there was two days when I was unable to have a shower in the morning before heading off to my meetings. I read the announcement saying the water would be back on at 6am but when I jumped into the shower at 7am the water was still running ice cold. I will be back but hope the water renos are done.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank JENNIFER C
Kim R, General Manager at Best Western Premier Freeport Inn & Suites, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Jennifer, Thank you for your review and I want to apologize for the hot water issues during your recent stay. In answer to your questions, Yes we are done with the installation of new hot water tanks and now have more hot water than we know what to do with! I appreciate your understanding and we look forward to your return visit.
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed December 2, 2012

The hotel property is located near the Calgary Airport. It is a nice looking, newer property. We stayed in the King Suite with fireplace. While the room was clean and nicely decorated, we were a bit surprised that the hotel wasn't better insulated to muffle the noise of planes taking off and landing. The aircraft noise was annoying and interfered with sleep. The bed was comfortable but be careful when running the fireplace! The room heats up quickly and we were sweltering. A few items were also missing from the room including a bar of soap for the shower and coffee mugs. We advised the front desk and while they did provide an extra bar of soap and the coffee mugs for our second night, they forgot to provide a fresh shower cap and replace our water glasses - little minor details to be sure, but annoying all the same. A complimentary hot and cold breakfast is included. In terms of variety, it was better than most free continental breakfasts offered by comparable hotels but most items were pretty bland. For Calgary, the price was quite reasonable at around $150 per night.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Monica H
Monica I am very sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay and will not be back. I'm surprised that you could hear the sound of airplanes from your room as we usually receive comments about how quiet it is from guests. I want to thank you for your comments about the missing items as I will review with our housekeeping team to ensure attention to detail on these items. I am also disappointed that you only had our continental breakfast and missed out on the made to order omelette station. I hope that you will give us another try and experience all that we have to offer.
Campbell River, Canada
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Stayed here for a business trip. Fantastic service and comfortable rooms.
The breakfast really made the stay unique. A FULL breakfast...unheard of, I thought. Included in the room price. Simply amazing!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Rum48
Thank you for your Wonderful review about our your stay with us at the Best Western Premier Freeport Inn and Suites. I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed our Full Complimentary Breakfast, the service and your room. I hope you will return in the near future.
Humboldt, Canada
Reviewed December 1, 2012

My daughter Starla and myself stayed at this hotel, before our departure to Cuba on Nov. 9th.
Service was great at the front desk, however what really stood out for us was the gentleman, with the accent that took our luggage from the shuttle, upon arriving from the airport to our rooms. I wished I could remember his name, he was the best, and I even commented to the front desk, that he really made my night. The room was all one could want in a hotel, stayed at Best Westerns before, however this one tops them all. The free breakfast was good, Would highly recommend this hotel to anyone, and wouldn't hesitate to return.

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor, and was quiet, and peaceful
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank lovingcuba309
Thank you for taking the time to post your review and comments about your pre-vacation stay at our property. It is great to hear stories about how our staff are making guest feel special and welcome.
Alberta, Canada
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Stayed for one night on a shopping trip. Room was spotless, bed was very comfortable. Staff was very friendly on check in and check out. There is a free hot/cold breakfast which wasn't great, but it was free. Didn't have a chance to check out the pool or hot tub. Since it's close to the airport I did hear the planes in the morning, but wasn't bothered by them during the night. Really close to Cross Iron Mills shopping mall.

Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank REETZ18
We really appreciate you taking the time to post your review and comments about you visit to our property. We are the closest hotel to Cross Iron Mills and have numerous visitors that stay with us because of how convenient our location is to shopping. We look forward to your next shopping visit and stay.