“Disappointing food at West”
Review of West Restaurant & Bar - CLOSED

West Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 8th ave and 2nd St SW
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We had heard that West's patio was fun but it was too cold to eat outside, so we sat inside near the bar for dinner. I ordered a California burger, which had guacamole and pineapple and should have been very tasty. It was not. The meat was overcooked, the guacamole was tasteless and the thing was too thick to eat without being disassembled. The side salad was better, with just the right amount of dressing and cheese. My girlfriend's chicken was also disappointing. Service was passable if not exactly friendly. We likely won't be back.

1  Thank selmer

Reviewed July 31, 2012

CREDIT CARD FRAUD AT WEST - I am so disgusted by the "customer service" at West. I went there on Friday June 15th and was told I needed to open a tab at the bar just for 1 drink (even though I told the bartender it would be the only drink I would be purchasing). I had an emergency and needed to leave before I could grab my card at the bar. I called them and listened to their voicemail and it said West would be open the next day Saturday June 16th. I went at noon on June 16th (during their apparant hours) and found the whole place was closed. I waited for an hour and no one came. In the meantime, I called my credit card provider and they said there were unauthorized charges being made on my card. Meaning, AN EMPLOYEE FROM WEST EITHER GAVE MY CARD TO SOMEONE WITHOUT VERIFYING THEIR IDENTITY OR AN EMPLOYEE STOLE MY CREDIT CARD. I e-mailed West on Monday June 18th about the situation and was e-mailed back promptly saying the office manager would be in touch. A MONTH later (July 17th) I e-mail them again as NO ONE has contacted me. I get an e-mail from the office manager saying they "lost my e-mail" and asked for my credit card number and information in order to try out what happened, and that they would get back to me the next day. That was 2 WEEKS ago and still no response. I cannot believe that any establishment would steal/giveaway a credit card and further more that they would take 6 weeks to get back to a customer about a FRAUD issue. Beyond unnacceptable.
I will never go back here, and will continue to contact the company until someone explains to me why my card was given away/stolen and also why the restaurant was closed with no notification on a Saturday afternoon.

DO NOT GO HERE

2  Thank Jess T
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We were visiting the city and friends made a reservation at the rooftop patio. Since there are very few such places in Calgary, we were excited to go there and it was right downtown. However, getting there was an adventure. As other people have indicated, you are directed to the second floor when you finally find the restaurant (it's inside a mall!) and then it's almost impossible to locate the patio unless you get very specific directions from the staff.
It is intended to be very trendy but only for Calgary - it resembles what I used to see in Toronto five years ago and they are clearly marketing to a different crowd than we were (middle aged) so I didn't really pay much attention. The music increased significantly after 5 p.m. but we were, fortunately, near the back so were still able to hear each other. That being said, our waiter was very friendly, chatty and helpful and she did come by often to check on our food and drinks and to make sure we had everything we needed. The food was actually very good and I would return if the weather was good enough to be out on the patio (the restaurant had two tables filled when we left about 9:30 p.m.).

1  Thank Bonnie G
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Upon arrival, you are greeted with a sign that says, enter on the second floor. Problem was that I was already on the second floor. Has walked by a number of times and wanted to try West. The food is good, but the service is slow. Our booth had several tears in the seat, and the menus had leftovers on it. Took 10 minutes to get a drink. Don't think I'll be back anytime soon. There are too many restaurants downtown with more...

1  Thank Terceratops
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Slow service, food very ordinary. I had the crab mac & cheese ... It was so salty, i drank water all night.
Choose another restaurant