“Great rooftop patio, but food and service so-so”
Review of West Restaurant & Bar - CLOSED

West Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 8th ave and 2nd St SW
Reviewed March 2, 2012

The West rooftop patio is a large outdoor serving area nicely nestled amongst the towers in the heart of downtown Calgary. In nicer weather, there's no better setting to enjoy some drinks and food at lunch or after work. The food and service, however, are just okay.

1  Thank BruceCalgary

Reviewed February 5, 2012

We go to West quite frequently for lunch and absolutely love it. They accept reservations, the service is quick (if that's what you want over lunch) and the food is delicious! They have the best patio in Calgary (...just not in February!)

1  Thank Tara M
Reviewed January 26, 2012

this place was more conserned with being trendy and catering to the younger crowd then they were about serving a quality product. The food is on par witha poor earls meal, serves were more glitz then knowledge and far too loud. They run a night club in the evening and it smells of it. I wont return.

1  Thank chrisk1323
Reviewed January 23, 2012

Had an unfortunate dining experience Saturday night. It was my friend's birthday and we had reservations at 7:30. Our waitress was marginally OK at best, certainly not worth the mandatory 18% tip. I have no problem tipping well, in fact for great service I normally tip 20-25%, however when the service is non existent I should have the option not to tip. We are a fun group who are not demanding or overbearing, she could have had some personality. Once we were finally able to order food, my tuna tataki was served FROZEN. I am talking hard core still frozen. The waitress didn't really apologize for it, and just informed me it would be a 5 minute wait for another order. The next plate of tuna was flavourless and I'm pretty sure had been microwaved. Needless to say I didn't eat that plate of food either. The waitress didn't bother to ask if there was anything wrong with it, she just took the still full plate off the table and billed me for it.

Another complaint was the "bouncer" who stood behind our table pressing his fat belly into the glass wall staring at our table while we ate. Very unsettling to say the least. I do not care to have to look at an older overweight bald man with a pony tail, let alone while I am trying to eat and enjoy our evening out. The music was only ok as well, could have heard better music on the radio.

2  Thank travelladyAlberta
Reviewed January 14, 2012

Basically OK food at high prices and slow service. I have been to West a few times for lunch with a work group of 3 to 12 people. It's not the place to go if you only have one hour. If the outing was on my own dime I would not go. It has been requested from our office administrator to arrange lunch at a different location. They do have a nice patio for the few days a year the weather allows it to be used.

1  Thank out4goodtimes