“Great Restaurant”
Review of Tango Bistro

Tango Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Tango Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #122 of 3,756 Restaurants in Calgary
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Southeast Calgary
Cross street: 69 th Avenue
Description: Smuggler's Inn originally began in 1967 as Bar X Steakhouse, an American company. The current owner, Frank Krowicki, bought out his partners and went to work developing a brand new concept to Calgary. His vision included a mix of casual, late night fine dining and live piano bar. Over the years, the building expanded around Smuggler's Inn, with the addition of Winelite dining room on the west side, and Backstreet lounge and dining room on the north side. As the dining scene in Calgary began to change, Frank too saw a need to change and adapt. The first endeavour was the conversion of Backstreet lounge to Open Sesame in 2000. Open Sesame has been serving fresh, Pan Asian cuisine to happy customers ever since. The conversion of Backstreet dining room to Bolero was complete in 2007. As Calgary's first Brazilian style steakhouse, Bolero continues to satisfy meat lovers with its unique and interactive style of dining. Our latest addition is Tango Bistro, on the west side of the building, which once was Winelite dining room. At Tango Bistro, we bring together fresh, locally inspired comfort dishes with a focus on cold, sustainable seafood and top quality steaks. In May 2013, Smuggler's Inn celebrated 40 years of serving mouth-watering Alberta prime rib and steaks alongside many original items, which have made us famous around the world. Four restaurants under one roof keeps us busy, but we wouldn't have it any other way. And the rest, as they say, is history! Smuggler's Group Rewards is a unique program that rewards you every time you visit us. For every dollar you spend, you earn points towards FREE Loyalty Certificates from Smuggler's Group Of Restaurants. Whenever you make a purchase, simply present your Smuggler's Group Rewards Card. We will automatically track your purchases and assign points to your membership. For every 200 points you accumulate, you will accumulate, you will automatically receive a $10 loyalty certificate to redeem on your next visit. There is no charge or fee associated with the Smuggler's Group Rewards Program. Just fill out the application, turn it in to us, and start using it right away.
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Food was excellent. Portions were to share. Waitress was very nice. It was nice to be able to sit outside

Reviewed August 4, 2012

We took my wife's parents to this "new" tapas experience located in what used to be the most northern part of Smugglers' Inn. In fact, Tango Bistro reverts to being part of Smugglers for Sunday Brunch. We were surprised by how few customers there were for what should have been prime time - 6pm on a Saturday. There was a table full of ladies likely celebrating a "Stagette", one other couple and us. As the evening grew longer, not only did no one else show up, the staff were setting most of the tables for Sunday Brunch. The atmosphere and decor is pleasant but the ambient music was irritating to the point of infuriating. Fortunately, our server was so attentive and polite one would almost tolerate anything unpleasant just because his genuine desire to ensure our dining experience was superlative was backed up by the best service we've had almost anywhere. Now for the food. The cheese plate was not exeptional in terms of selection but the taste and presentation was very good. They were very stingy with the crustini-toasted baquette but we asked for more and got as much as we wanted. I had the roast beef - it wasn't tapas-sized but my appetite wasn't either so I really appreciated the "full meal deal". I found it very flavourful and the roasted potatoes really tasty. My wife said the meat was tough but I couldn't have been more satisfied - well prepared and perfectly done! Trios of Dips was not very tastful (my wife didn't like it very much) The Pear and Gorgonzola Flatbread was quite tasty. In summary, our tapas expectations exceeded what we experienced. We wouldn't go back for tapas but we would likely go back and try the Sunday Evening menu which looks inviting.

1  Thank Marco_Island_Canuck
Reviewed May 4, 2012

This was my second time at Tango, and the first time about a year ago was really good. This time, the food was still good but the service was unbelievably bad. He was nice enough, but not at all professional and appeared to lack even basic training at his job. We ordered a bottle of pinot gris, and when he came with it he did not show us the bottle, nor did he pour a taster. He just poured 2 glasses and plunked the bottle in the wine cooler. After a couple sips, I knew it was not the wine we ordered. It took him about 15 minutes to come back to our table. I told him it wasn't the wine we ordered, and he said "it's a pinot grigio". Yes I know, but it's not what we ordered! He seemed to be suggesting it didn't really matter and we should just drink it. Anyway, we got the correct bottle, no taster again, and ordered a few dishes. The yam wedges were good, as were the scallops, and the baked brie was really delicious. The server never came back to refill our glasses or anything, and only asked us how everything was after we had finished the scallops and most of the brie. We then ordered three more dishes and he seemed to write them down. However, one of the three was the wrong thing and it took awhile to get the right one. We had the gnocchi, which was alright, the spring asparagus, very good, and the pork lettuce wraps, also pretty good. We then had the dessert sampler, which was excellent. It took the server about 20 minutes after we finished our dessert to come back, and then another 10 or 15 to come back so we could pay our bill. He was just hopeless, I can't believe that this fairly upscale place has someone working there who has no idea what he is doing. I might go back for the food, but in a city with tons of great restaurants, why go back to one where the service is so bad?

1  Thank emilyfoodie
Reviewed March 28, 2012

Well, don't eat here if you are expecting a low cost meal. The atmosphere is great - lovely high ceilings and lots of space with a fireplace to add ambience. But the food is vastly overpriced. An example is the Bison bacon wrapped tenderloin - six small pieces for over $14 - that is ridiculous. The food is quite good, but not outstanding. The servers are on the casual side, I would suggest a little more professionalism in the way they serve.

1  Thank VicsmomCalgary
Reviewed February 24, 2012

Its a very trendy spot, absolutely everything was delightful, not for the big man appetite lol more of a place for a date or girls fancy lunch I'd say - which is how I did it --- but service was some of the best I have had in Calgary, and the food was presented very artistically and tasted as good as it looked. I'd be impressed if it was a date - lol been married 20 years so no hopes on that haha - but its south of Downtown, in a section of great restaurants, evening spots and shopping :) - Love to try it for an evening but I've only had the lunch menu -- oh so pretty -- reminded me of the food at the marvelous Holts Cafe in Montreal which I adore but at a much more reasonable price.

My friend was a vegetarian and she found lots of wonderful items and I am not and was delighted with everything I had.