“I really wouldn't bother with this place...” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2,418 of 3,490 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Bus Stop right in front of Spur Gastropub. C-Train station on 1st Street and 7th Avenue.
Calgary, Canada
“I really wouldn't bother with this place...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2011

Just visited this restaurant last night. Originally heard of this place via GROUPON, we had a GROUPON for dinner.

Reservations for 2 for 8pm. Walked in, there were only 2 other tables seated. 1 table of 4 and 1 table of 2. No one to greet us at the entrance. Walked around the restaurant, nothing, no staff. Finally I decided to call them, and a waitress from the other side of this place, which is a pub/bar finally noticed us. Another server came and seated us. The floor is nice, but lighting is a tad bright.

Ordered appetizers, nothing really special, brushetta and a Mediterrean salad. Once again, nothing special, you can throw this together at home with very little effort and it would taste the same or better.

Wine was good, I ordered a Shiraz, my wife had a Zinfadel which she said seemed a little sparking. Also ordered Granville Island Maple Cream Ale which was very good but should be served much colder.

Our mains were not bad at all. My wife had the Penne Pollo, I had the Farfalle. Both were not bad at all but similar to what you'd make at home. Not the pasta that fascinates with texture, doneness, heavanly sauce from a really good Italian place. (I miss Venice and Rome :) )

Dessert was the nightly special, a chocolate pate on rasberry coulis with whipped cream. Nice texture, very chocolately. I think it was a mix of dark and milk chocolate.

Service was a bit lacking at times, nothing speical to write home about.

With only 3 tables being used out of probably 20 or so, the place was DEAD. No atmosphere at all. 1 waiter who was hardly there. I think he spent more time on the other side, where the bar is with his friends.

Probably will not visit here again. Too many other really good places in Calgary to choose from.

• Visited October 2011
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank rc51cgy

Calgary, Canada
“Small selection...OK atmosphere”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

You can tell this restaurant is trying to be a classy place (high prices, small specific menu). Although the decor is inviting and contemporary, the table settings were underwhelming at best, and we had to wait a long time to be seated although the entire dining room was empty. We went here on a groupon and our waiter was quite friendly and prompt after the initial delay, our experience was only so-so. The mussels appetizer was not very authentic ( we had just gotten back from Italy) and the pasta choices were limited. Too pricey for the average quality of food.

• Visited September 2011