“Good stay”

Sandman Hotel & Suites Calgary South
Ranked #57 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed March 30, 2012

Stayed here march 2012 for business.
Check in was smooth and eventless. room had a king bed, very confortable. room itself was small, but all i needed.
moxies was a great spot for supper that evening. good services and good food.
location was easy to find, no issues getting there, or out of the city

Room Tip: room away from the elevator
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Aaron_kristen
There are newer reviews for Sandman Hotel & Suites Calgary South

Reviewed March 24, 2012

Imagine walking into a nice lobby and then being humiliated by a really "dumb" and lazy front desk clerk. She took my credit card and within a few seconds advised me that the card was refused and she would not be able to give me a room. "Would you please call Visa so we can clarify the situation - my card has a $40,000 limit, so there must be some mistake?" NO - you have to deal with it - I'm not calling, I'm too busy. So I reached over her and grabbed the phone and called Visa - sure enough my credit was good - sorry for the trouble - let me talk to the clerk. "I told you I was busy". "I appreciate that, but I don't want to sleep in the lobby - please just hear what the Visa person has to say".

Finally settled - but she gave me the worst room in the hotel - room 103 to be exact.What a mess - never again will they see me and I have to go back to Calgary in a few weeks and then once every month after that. Marriott here I come.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else - the Sandman is terrible
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank George K
gm_calsouth, General Manager at Sandman Hotel & Suites Calgary South, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2012

Hello, without a guest name and date of check in, this makes it very difficult to assist with this review. If I can get more information, it would be very helpful to assist. We have recevied numerous guest service awards along with being nominated for the prestigious White Hat Award for excellence in guest service. If the Reviewer is able to provide more infomration, that would be helpful. We have nothing to go on. Thx

Gm Sandman Calgary South

Reviewed March 14, 2012

Stayed one night in february 2012 at the Sandman to watch a Flames game.
Very nice and helpful staff at the reception, nice and clean rooms. Hotel is situated next to the city rail, which takes you easily around downtown and around in Calgary.
The Sandman is a good choice for an affordable down town hotel in Calgary.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Thodin
Reviewed March 11, 2012

Now with the pool open and soon to open Sharkclub - this is a great place to stay. Room are clean, staff are friendly plus Denny's and Moxie's restaurants attached. I stay here 2x month.

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank familyfun10_9
Reviewed March 1, 2012

My husband came to Calgary on business and the kids and I tagged along. We were in for 4 nights in a 'family suite'. The kids, 4 and 1 stayed in the bunk beds -- both bunkbeds had a safety railing so we were confident they weren't going to fall or roll out. (they didn't, haha). Can I add the beds were SUPER comfortable too? The kitchenette - standard microwave and minifridge with the not so standard toaster and dishes were fantastic. Just what we needed to keep lunch stuff in and snacks for the kids. Separate TV's for us and the kids was amazing and they really enjoyed the beanbags provided to sit on, although it did make it a bit squishy in the room. My only concern was that the bunkbeds were right by the hallway door. Made me nervous that if someone were to come in, they were right there, and we were in the back.... a better set up would have reversed that. As well, for hallway sound, it would have been better to have the kids closer to the back. On the other hand... I enjoyed the big window and being able to make the kids room DARK for naps. The sliding door and king sized bed made the 'adult' room exceptional. Because the set up of the room, it didn't leave much floor space... which is asking for a lot, I know, but we made do. The bathroom was pretty standard and again a bit squishy, but nothing that couldn't be handled. The furnishings were modern and comfortable. It was a very comfortable stay. The location was amazing... with Ikea, Walmart, Starbucks, Micheals and a Gap Outlet all within walking distance... what more can a girl ask for? There were plenty of other stores - google deerfoot meadows for a complete list.

As far as amenities in the hotel, we loved having the two restaurants... especially with the winter storm going on outside, it was super convenient. The pool was fun for the kids, they loved the changing colors. Pool was a bit cool though and the hot tub was very warm, but nice. The high speed internet wasn't very speedy, but worked and the business center was NOT free... kinda disappointed there too.

My only complaint was cleanliness. While everything looked clean upon arrival, we later found (while looking for a lost slipper) that there were toys, food, papers, etc. under the beds between the skirt and frame as well as in corners and under the bunks. Also, the cupboards in the kitchenette hadn't been cleaned in a while either... with crumbs from the toaster and leftover foods left behind. That part really disappointed me because I loved everything else.

All in all, a great stay and I'd definitely be back if we were to stay in Calgary. Totally worth it.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank truth123
Reviewed February 24, 2012

Excellent room, excellent service and a good meal in Moxies.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank walneybill
Reviewed February 7, 2012

My husband and I stayed here in November 2011 and I wouldn't recommend this hotel. We were looking for a hotel that was reasonably priced and located in this area for a seminar we were attending. Even for such a laid back trip I wouldn't stay here.

They say this hotel just opened and yet all the furniture in the rooms looks recycled, the doors are beaten up and the closets don't even close. We had to get someone to come in and fix the furnace since it was so cold. The only good thing about this hotel is that Moxie's is right there.

The pool is alright but don't plan on warming up in the hot tub, you can run a warmer bath is you tiny tub in your room. The floor in the pool room is so unlevel you can stub your foot on some of the tiles. Horrible work!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple