“Loved it.”

Ranked #72 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Alberta
“Loved it.”
Reviewed March 1, 2012

My husband came to Calgary on business and the kids and I tagged along. We were in for 4 nights in a 'family suite'. The kids, 4 and 1 stayed in the bunk beds -- both bunkbeds had a safety railing so we were confident they weren't going to fall or roll out. (they didn't, haha). Can I add the beds were SUPER comfortable too? The kitchenette - standard microwave and minifridge with the not so standard toaster and dishes were fantastic. Just what we needed to keep lunch stuff in and snacks for the kids. Separate TV's for us and the kids was amazing and they really enjoyed the beanbags provided to sit on, although it did make it a bit squishy in the room. My only concern was that the bunkbeds were right by the hallway door. Made me nervous that if someone were to come in, they were right there, and we were in the back.... a better set up would have reversed that. As well, for hallway sound, it would have been better to have the kids closer to the back. On the other hand... I enjoyed the big window and being able to make the kids room DARK for naps. The sliding door and king sized bed made the 'adult' room exceptional. Because the set up of the room, it didn't leave much floor space... which is asking for a lot, I know, but we made do. The bathroom was pretty standard and again a bit squishy, but nothing that couldn't be handled. The furnishings were modern and comfortable. It was a very comfortable stay. The location was amazing... with Ikea, Walmart, Starbucks, Micheals and a Gap Outlet all within walking distance... what more can a girl ask for? There were plenty of other stores - google deerfoot meadows for a complete list.

As far as amenities in the hotel, we loved having the two restaurants... especially with the winter storm going on outside, it was super convenient. The pool was fun for the kids, they loved the changing colors. Pool was a bit cool though and the hot tub was very warm, but nice. The high speed internet wasn't very speedy, but worked and the business center was NOT free... kinda disappointed there too.

My only complaint was cleanliness. While everything looked clean upon arrival, we later found (while looking for a lost slipper) that there were toys, food, papers, etc. under the beds between the skirt and frame as well as in corners and under the bunks. Also, the cupboards in the kitchenette hadn't been cleaned in a while either... with crumbs from the toaster and leftover foods left behind. That part really disappointed me because I loved everything else.

All in all, a great stay and I'd definitely be back if we were to stay in Calgary. Totally worth it.

3 Thank truth123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Walney, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2012

Excellent room, excellent service and a good meal in Moxies.

1 Thank walneybill
Camrose, Alberta
Reviewed February 7, 2012

My husband and I stayed here in November 2011 and I wouldn't recommend this hotel. We were looking for a hotel that was reasonably priced and located in this area for a seminar we were attending. Even for such a laid back trip I wouldn't stay here.

They say this hotel just opened and yet all the furniture in the rooms looks recycled, the doors are beaten up and the closets don't even close. We had to get someone to come in and fix the furnace since it was so cold. The only good thing about this hotel is that Moxie's is right there.

The pool is alright but don't plan on warming up in the hot tub, you can run a warmer bath is you tiny tub in your room. The floor in the pool room is so unlevel you can stub your foot on some of the tiles. Horrible work!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank court_39
Edmonton, Alberta
Reviewed February 3, 2012

Stayed at the Sandman South from Feb 1-3 and booked the King/Kitchen suite (regular tub not the jacuzzi tub) for approx $170/night.
What a GREAT stay!!! Checking in was so easy and all the reservation clerks were so friendly!
The lobby looks like a show home suite and the facilities are incredibly clean!
My room was a perfect size, again very clean and comfortable. My kitchen had a stove top, microwave, small dishwasher and fridge. There was a set of dishes, pots and pan, and cutlery. They did have dishsoap, but no dishwasher soap or paper towel which would have helped a bit. (They are having a few issues with head office not providing the supplies they need since they are such a new hotel, and that's why they are short of these supplies.)
The living room had a nice sized flat screen TV and there was another flat screen in the bedroom as well.
The bed was very comfortable and the room had a walk through closet to the bathroom in it.
The location may seem a little far from the downtown area, but honestly, that's where I was working while I was in Calgary, and it only took me about 15 minutes to get downtown. It was great to be so close to so many restaraunts as well (Moxies, Denny's, Walmart, Ikea and LOTS of other shopping).
Overall, this was a fantastic stay and I will definately be staying there again when I am back in Calgary!
Thank you to all of the great employees at the Sandman for doing a fantastic job!!

2 Thank kartrite
Medicine Hat, Canada
Reviewed January 23, 2012

We were at this hotel for a business meeting and the room and food for that was good. Our hotel room we upgraded to the family suite and it was great because it had a separate room that had bunkbeds for the kids! They loved that part! I would have preferred the king bed closer to the door instead of the bunk bed though!
There was a slight water trickling sound that could be heard all the time, but otherwise very quiet (even with the hotel booked with hockey teams). Our door looks like someone had it locked with the pull over bar and someone tried to get in. The door frame was damaged and hardly holding on. I left a note for housekeeping to fix this, as well as the squeaky bathroom door. Other than those things, the room was clean and very modern.
Lastly, we mostly like to stay at hotels with 'heated' pools for the kids to swim. Well, we went to get in and it was freezing! I went to ask at the main desk about getting it turned up in there, and she promptly paged maintenance to come have a look. A few minutes later, the maintenance man showed up, stuck a thermometer in the pool and said, yup it's 80. Well to me, 80 is barely a heated pool...especially when there is an exterior door within the pool area to the -15C outside! The hot tub was warm, definitely not hot. The kids did like that the pool changed colors.
Overall good stay, and nice to have Moxie's and Denny's connected to the hotel. Thanks.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Aquae
Emerson Park
Reviewed November 17, 2011

Arrived at Calgary Airport on the first leg of our Archers trip through Canada. The airport itself had a stunning sculpture in the foyer of horses. We were met by our representative and taken by coach to the Sandman Hotel. Very comfortable rooms, a little old fashioned but we were only staying one night. The meal we had at the hotel that night was beautifully cooked and very reasonable.
The following morning we all boarded the coach en route to Banff. Our guide Linda Brown, took us on an impromtu trip of downtown Calgary taking in the Olympic medal site, Municipal Hall and being a Sunday Morning, it was very quiet so we were able to disembark and take lots of pictures. We then went on to the Calagary Stampede Park which was amazing, again we had plenty of time to take pictures. From there we went on to the Olympic Park and stopped for coffee. Seeing the Ski Jump that Eddie the Eagle won his acclaimed fame from was an added bonus. Once back on the coach, we headed for Banff and I will do a review of that hotel next. Our first sight of the rockies was breathtaking - wasn't sure my camera would stand up to all of the pictures I anticipated taking - Banff was an amazing place.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank JudeEmersonPark
New Delhi, India
Reviewed September 29, 2011

It's a new property located in the south east area of Calgary at Deerfoot Meadows complex where IKEA and Walmart Super Store areat walking distance from the hotel . The hotel has sufficient parking space. The rooms are spacious and clean. The Denny's 24 Hour Restaurant and Moxie's Classic Grill serve great food and drinks. The wifi was also good and very usable. The hotel offers a very peaceful and relaxing experince, though my reason to choose it was the good price it offered.

Room Tip: rooms to the east side may provide better view from the room.