“There are better choices in Calgary”

Days Inn - Calgary South
Ranked #86 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Vancouver
“There are better choices in Calgary”
Reviewed December 28, 2009

This was our third year to Calgary in March, and although our travel was arranged by someone new in the office, this was our first and last stay at Days Inn. The check in was fast and efficient, and the folks behind the counter were helpful, but the first room we were given smelled of stale vomit, so we asked for a new room. How the maids missed that I have no idea. Our request was met with a room over the hotel bar. Loud and annoying ‘til 2 am is how I’d best describe it, with no room change for the three nights we were there. The included breakfast is weak at best. Any speed internet, did not work in our room. I unfortunately left an item in my room and contacted the hotel from the airport. I made arrangements for this item to be sent to me in Vancouver and it took their staff eight phone calls and three weeks to put it on a bus at my expense. There are a lot of better choices in Calgary and Day Inn is not on my list of recommendations.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank themoneyman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Surrey, BC
Reviewed November 30, 2009

I stayed at the Days Inn Calgary South recently for a business meeting. Wasn't sure about the place after reading the reviews, but I found it to be great! Comfortable beds, clean room, and the front desk staff was extremely helpful. Apparently there is a new manager there so perhaps she is helping them improve their image. There were some renovations going on (not disruptful) which are going to really improve the look of the place as well. The rates were great and I had no issues at all. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Calgary
Reviewed November 16, 2009

Check-in went well but on my way up to my room (over the bar UGH) there was empty beer bottles on stairs and what looked like dried spit on the railings. The bottles were cleaned up 3 days later and it was a sunday night check in. First glance the room looked good but on closer inspection the dishes were filthy ( I had a kitchenette suite for my 2 week stay). The great wireless internet didnt work, I had to go buy a signal booster and then it was very spotty. The Business centre was a frickin joke the computers wouldnt even connect to the internet. The walls were paper thin I could hear the couple in the next room............ When I spoke to the front counter about the issues I was politley blown off.... we will have maintanace look at it. I then switched rooms (thanks to the one lady that actually seemed to care) the garbages were full and there was someones yukky flip flops under the edge of the bed and the fridge was gross. I had no housekeeping for 3 days even after asking still nothing there was also a horribly strong odor of curry at times. I would have been more comfortable in my car but it was in Ontario and my rental was a dakota. All I have to say is STAY AWAY and look for another room somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank cocky76
Daysinncalgary, Manager at Days Inn - Calgary South, responded to this review, December 17, 2009
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to inform us of the problems during your stay. I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible.

Please know that your comments and issues will be addressed. Our hotel is in the middle of a major renovation to the exterior, pool, and public areas and we are working withour staff to ensure every guest receives our very best service and hospitality. It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit.

If I can provide any assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Charlotte Cronin
Assistant General Manager
Days Inn Calgary South

Travelers are raving about these Calgary hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 13, 2009

Let's start from the check-in part.

When I asked the young lady at the front desk if the parking lot was safe enough for me to leave some things (very large items) in the back of the car her response was "as safe as Calgary can be"...

In the room when I wanted to take a shower before going to bed I was unable to get any hot water, I tried and tried to reach the front desk and after 1 1/2 hour I finally reached them only to be told to let the water run and I would eventually get some hot water. No jokes I let the water run for 3 hours without getting any hot water.

Check-out comes 2 days later, before I could leave the hotel the front desk held me there for a room inspection. This was a first for me and I was really insulted.

Finally back home after a long week, I filed a complaint with Days Inn only to receive the following response:

We are sorry to hear about the problems you encountered, however that location being a franchise we are unable to go forward with your complaint. The location has its own complaint department and you should direct your complaint to them.

You think I did?

• Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank tomden
Lacombe, Canada
Reviewed September 20, 2009

We just got back from an overnighter at this hotel. Let me first say that the first impression is really good. You walk in and it's all nice and new and looks great. Reservations were through expedia and that process went great. Then we took the elevator to our room. On the surface it looked okay, however as I was standing by the night table to make a phone call, my foot hit something soft under the bed, so I raised the skirt and found a pair of shoes and a bunch of garbage. Disgusting. We could write our names in the dust on the fridge and tv. We went out shopping for a couple hours, on the way I asked that they have housekeeping revisit our room. The guy at the front desk, said he would, no problem. Came back after 3 hours of shopping - guess what? The shoes are still there. What's the point, now?

The continental breakfast was not impressive. Oranges and apples were the only fruit, no yogurt, nothing but bread for the toaster, it was okay at best.

On the plus side, there is a pub attached to the hotel called the Atlantic Trap and Gill - which was great. We went there for dinner before the concert and came back to hang out later. It was a wonderful little spot!

All in all, we got an okay price, but would not rush back again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank MustangGirlAB
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed September 17, 2009

I stayed at the days Inn south from the 31st Aug until the 8th of september. For the worldskills competition as part of a supporters tour. The PC in our room was not working for the ENTIRE stay even though every day I went downstairs and asked for it to be fixed or at the very least looked at. Now 8 days and no one even looked at the computer come on. I found the people at the front desk all but Roberta, to be unprofessional and at times rude. Sometimes it felt as if you were interrupting when approaching the front desk. Whilst the hotel itself was relatively clean i would not stay there again due to the fact that the staff were rude. ONe night it was 11pm and a staff member was happy to send us, me and another 21yr old girl on a 15min walkdown the street instead of ordering a cab like we had asked. Another of the staff member was VERY VERY rude when other supporters on the same tour were enquireing into a possible double booking mistake. He rudely told us it was not his hotels problem and that they were only benefiting from the double booking as his hotel was renting the double booked room out to other people and therefore getting paid double. He was very defensive and rude. The walls were very thin and there were many nights that the people in the room next door came home and turned on their tv at 1am in the morning and it woke me up. I understand i sound like a bloody whinger but for a place that i was staying for a week and paid a great deal of money to stay in it was not worth it at all. I have travelled overseas 3 times now and this is by far the worst place i have ever stayed in.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank TennilleandAndy
edmonton
Reviewed July 24, 2009

I have never seen this kind of hotel. This is the worst I've ever seen, even worse than the $50 range motel. The bedsheet and blanket cover were so dirty and have yellow stains. The maintenance was so bad. I even stepped into their renovation time in the hallway. Wow so scary, no carpet, and smell extremely bad, even in the room. I asked the reception if they could change the bed sheet. He was gonna give me to bed sheet and change it myself. I asked for housekeeping, but there's none. (probably cuz it was night time) Finally he took out some so-called clean bed sheet which has stain on it. I had to ask for another one. The good thing was that the receptionist actually changed the bed sheet for me.

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple