“would never stay here again old dirty digusting hotel”

Days Inn - Calgary South
Ranked #86 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed September 10, 2012

staff was rude at check in to start things off by the time i hauled all of my things up the stairs because they had no elevator to that floor we got settled in went to the desk to ask where a store was adn was told it was right outside yes it was right outside but down a city block. went to use the bathroom found hairs from i assume the last person that stayed in the room ( short and curlies GROSS) on the walls of the shower and on top of the toilet tank was going to bath my 2 kids but decided it was gross enough to not even bother. went to have breakfast in the little closet of a space they call a breakfast room and had to walk through a lounge area that was under construction not very good for children to to running around in an area like that.
upon checkout i had asked the front desk staff where the zoo was and was told they didnt have a clue but there were brochures on the wall to look at , i complained about the hairs in the bathroom and the front desk lady called her manager who told her to get a housekeeper up to the room for proof of it being dirty after telling her i had already wiped it down she said well im sorry no proof i cannot do anything for you but you can call the manager if you would like hes not in town right now but if you leave a message he will get back to you i said no thanks and walked away.

1  Thank danam995
Sampej, Director of Sales at Days Inn - Calgary South, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Dear Guest

Let me take this opportunity first and foremost to tender an unconditional apology for you and the family having a not up to par stay with us. All your concerns have been brought up to the relevant heads of departments and will be addressed and remedied. Your letter was read aloud in the meeting this morning by the GM making sure each head of department is made aware of the concerns expressed by you.

Do call me directly at 403 243 1959 x 7163 at your convenience, I will do my best to reassure you that these issues will not occur on any future stay with us.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

Arrived at 2am after long trip, front desk person very friendly and helpful. Rooms are small, more than 2 ppl will be a bit crowded, but clean and the beds are super comfortable! Breakfast simple but good. The hotel is doing renovations in the lobby/breakfast room - looks like it is going to be very nice when finished. The renovations do not interfere with hotel use, and are not noisy or dirty. My only - very minor -- complaint is there is very limited parking. The lower level/underground parking has a door, but you need your room key. So if you havent checked in you have to walk all the way around and up a stuper steep driveway - so check in first, THEN park!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SusanAndrusBlanchard
Sampej, Director of Sales at Days Inn - Calgary South, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2012

Dear Guest

Your time to review our hotel is appreciated, to bring you up to date the renovations for our restaurant are now complete and as of Sept. 15 the restaurant is open. I am sure you and all our guests will appreciate the up garded breakfast, (the continental breakfast is still and will remain complimentary)

A hot breakfast will also be available to guests at a nominal charge. The restaurant and bar will also serve lunch and dinner and will be available for room service.

I trust on your next stay with us, you will find our new additions well worth the wait.

Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is ok if your a travelling salesman and just staying one night, I wouldn't recommend staying with a family, corridors, rooms and bedding didnt smell fresh at all, just air fresher like they were trying to mask something, corridors very dark and a but scary, that goes for the rooms aswell, pool and hot tub was ok. The staff are very friendly and very informative. Glad we only stayed 1 night.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Sarahjayned

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of our property, your comments and concerns are very important to us and help us to identify where we fall short. However, I would like to mention that our corridors are very well lit and guest rooms and bathrooms also do have adequate lighting, as required for hotel rooms. At no point are our corridors and rooms dark and scary.

regards

Reviewed August 24, 2012

We arrived a little too early and was told to come back at 3pm for check-in. During check-in, the staff was very polite and although they were very busy answering the phone non-stop, they maintained calm and smiling. The breakfast included was good very filling, with a variety of breads, bagels, cereals and boiled eggs, coffees, juices etc. No bacon and sausages though, but for the low room rate that we paid, considered very good indeed. Our check-out was equally pleasant and without incident. We are very happy and will look forward to staying in Days Inn again on our next trip.

1  Thank billkhoo
Sampej, Director of Sales at Days Inn - Calgary South, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Dear Guests

Your letter is one great way for me to start the morning, we all at the Days Inn Calgary South are proud of our property and are grateful to you for appreciating all our efforts.

We are in the process of opening a restaurant on-site (should be ready by mid late September) and will be serving up a HOT BREAKFAST for all our guests.

Best regards

Reviewed August 20, 2012

This hotel is the best budget I have ever stayed in calgary. I felt I get an amazing bargain for clean room and cozy king size room. The Hotel is less than two blocks from the train stop thereby making me to save money from the downtown parking. The only negative thing was a loud guest in the room next to me. I called the night person who came up twice before the noise stopped. I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel and hope to be back soon. Thanks a million to the breakfast lady and Baba the evening guest agent.

Room Tip: Ask for the King size on the fourth floor
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank John M
Sampej, Director of Sales at Days Inn - Calgary South, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Dear Guest

I thank you for choosing the Days Inn Calgary South as your preferred hotel of stay while in Calgary. Your comments are valuable and i will pass on your comments to both Janet our "breakfast lady" and to Baba at the desk.

Osman

Reviewed August 19, 2012

My family stayed at this hotel in early August and booked through hotwire. We were given a room with two beds which we found clean. My younger son enjoyed the view of the C-train from our window so it kept him amused while we were resting back at our hotel. We found the bathroom tiny which made bathing the kids difficult. Some of the other reviews commented about having no hot water but we found it came after running the water for 5 minutes.

Continental breakfast was provided in the downstairs breakfast room run by one staff. If you look at the number of people eating there in the morning you'll notice that isn't enough staff to keep the place clean. The poor lady was too busy keeping the food stocked and didn't have time to clean the tables. One thing that did annoy me was the state of the bathrooms in the breakfast/lobby area. There is a bathroom in the breakfast room area but the lights did not work, toilets were clogged, no toilet paper, so we weren't sure if they were even functional. There is a bathroom right in front of the front desk but the ladies bathroom was 'Out of Order' for the three days that we stayed there. I have young kids so not having a bathroom nearby was annoying and I wound up using the men's bathroom each day downstairs!

On one of my outings to Telus Sparks, I wound up going to the old Calgary Space museum by mistake. Drove back to the hotel to meet up with the rest of my family and inquired with the front desk if they could tell me where Telus Sparks was located. She had no clue and pointed me towards the stack of flyers on the wall! And to rub it in, the next day I noticed they had a brochure of the attraction right at the front desk. Seriously, the front desk people work in the tourism business so shouldn't they know where the attractions are? Both my husband and I felt like the staff was disengaged, except for one asian front desk person and the poor ladies that ran the breakfast room. Also, I think it's very unprofessional to be checking your personal phone when someone is checking in.

My husband found the need to use their internet for a business meeting. The internet connection was not fast enough for a Skype call and it also cut out a few times during his meeting. Needless to say he was not happy with their WiFi connection.

Overall, I don't think my family would stay at this hotel based on our experience and would consider other options around the city.

1  Thank Luv2Trav3l

Dear Guest

Your comments are invalueable to us and the management and staff have been appraised of your review, it will help us to improve all aspects of our property.
All the short commings noted by you will be/have been addressed and will be improved for your next stay with us.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

We stayed 5 nights for a national swimming competition at Talisman Centre. The hotel is only 15 minutes walking distance to the pool and it can absolutely save lots money on car rental. There is also a train station nearby, about 3 minutes walking, and it is only one stop to the pool.
The room is quite roomy and clean, but the airconditioner is very noisy and hard to adjust the right temperature at night. There is no microwave in the room which is different from what their website disclosed. It's very inconvenient that I had to bring my own food down to the lobby and bring it back up to my room. On the third day, our toilet was flooding. It was quickly fixed after we called the front desk.
The breakfast was served well, except the area that was partly closed for renevation during that time. Overall, the stay was pleasant.

Room Tip: ask if you need a microwave in your room
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MaxineChen
Sampej, Director of Sales at Days Inn - Calgary South, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

Dear Guest

Thankyou for your review, it was a pleasure for us to host all the guests visiting the Talisman centre for the swim meet.

The few short commings mentioned will be taken care of and we trust your next stay with us will be even more pleasent.

regards