“Concerns and Issues...”

Ranked #90 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Lethbridge, Canada
“Concerns and Issues...”
Reviewed July 5, 2012

There are a couple of pluses and more negatives. Checked in, medical stay medical discount given. Got into the room. Immediately after getting in the room. We got a call from front desk to ask how the room is. Good. Well found no bottom sheets on the beds. Only top sheets did not cover mattresses completely so had exposed mattresses on the beds. Health hazard. As far as the pictures on the website and all new stuff. Well that is just plain false advertisements. The actual hotel at this address looks nothing like the pictures and what is advertised. Also the internet kiosk I was told they have to charge for it. Every other hotel been to they do not charge for internet usage. It was sitting there empty the whole time. Breakfast was okay but not good. Ended up eating bad spoiled cream cheese. Yummy right, mentioned that right away and they apologized. We had a do not disturb sign on our door. Several times starting at 9 am we had somebody from house keeping kept knocking on our door because they were ready to clean the room but we were not ready to leave yet. Sent our concerns and comments in, and they were forwarded to the general manager. My concerns fell on deaf ears. We were told that in order to keep perks and many things free we have do practice cutting back on other things like real bed sheets bottom and tops for the beds. Did not by into that excuse. Then they said they were going to do some more training with house keeping. To make sure that issue does not happen again. The internet costing money, apparently they contract an outside company to provide access. Cough cough. Also was told that i should have mentioned everything right away. The thing is when I was checking out the only question I was asked is do I want a final receipt. No how was your trip. No nothing. Thank you very much...

Also sent a reply letter to the manager, to tell her that her letter and explanations to me do not hold water. Have not got any response back. Obviously they do not really care about customer service only about saving the mighty dollar.

If they are so cash strapped maybe they should close the place down.

Room Tip: Do not chose any room here. I will not, nor my family be coming back to this location.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
TravelLadyGTA, General Manager at Travelodge Calgary South, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Thank you for once again letting us know about your positive and negative experiences at our property. As in our previous correspondances, we pride ourselves on good customer service. At anytime during ones stay, if we are notified of any issues, we quickly respond. As noted in the emails sent to yourself, we were unaware that anyone had knocked on yoru door and we would address this with housekeeping .

We are happy to offer many,many, many free items at the Travelodge including free wireless internet , free local calls and free breakfast.. Some items though will have very small charges attached to them.

We want to thank you for all your suggestions and certainly, in moving forward, we will keep them in mind when deciding which items we should purchase for the rooms. In the meantime , we are glad that your room, including the unfitted sheets and mattress, were clean and comfortable.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
melbourne
Reviewed May 24, 2012

Whilst the beds at the Travelodge South Calgary was quite comfortable the room itself was very tired and the bathroom floor needed a good scrub. The hotel has a good pub next door where the meals were OK however the general area would not draw you to the hotel. On check in the front desk staff did not appear particularly competent and on check out the staff appeared as if they had come off a very long night. Breakfast is provided however it is the typical cheap continental breakfast in a very unappealing room.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank aussietraveller1960
Thank you for responding to our property. This property does not have any pubs within walking distance of the property, We would love to hear from you directly in regards to the location that you stayed at so that we may forward the comments to the correct location. Please contact the property direclty so that we may assist you further
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed January 22, 2012

This Old Travelodge is a decent place. I beleive that is is a bit on the pricey side for the quality, Although it is on the more economical price scale, For $10 more, you can easily find a far nicer hotel room in town. I have stayed here twice, mainly because of its great location, and that it still has smoking permitted rooms. The rooms are not the cleanest(but not horrible), and a bit on the worn down side, which is why I think it is a bit too much for them to charge $95+tax for a room, when nicer hotel rooms can be had for a few dollars more, however I had no problems, Staff are pleasant and it is convenient. I would stay again, but would like to see the prices dropped a few dollars.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank M C
North Sydney, Canada
Reviewed September 14, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for the Calgary Folk Festival, I was greeted in a warm manner by the front desk agent and GM.

The GM, Monica was nothing short of marvellous, she was attending the same festival, gave me plenty of good tips which enhanced my 2 day stay at this hotel.

I was pleased with the room, the room had more amenities than I expected such as a small fridge and microwave.

The coffee in the room was great and the bathroom toiletries were a nice touch, I especially liked the make-up remover, it's a personal preference.

I worked in a hotel, so I noticed a few things such as how the towels & bed were presented, very nicely done.

The only problem I've noticed was the toilet needed to be cleaned more thoroughly as it was evident it's not being properly scrubbed in a long time.

Also, the breakfast was sufficient, It's in a small room, my second breakfast was ruined by a nagging mother of three, it was almost painful to listen to her whine as I was trying to enjoy some peace, it was evident to other guests as well, none of the hotel's problem.

I would recommend this to other travellers as it's close to Chinook Centre and other restaurant and other amenities too.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank pastelpinkgirly
Thank you for the wonderful comments and suggestions. , Wanted to write a quick note, that we missed you this year at the Folk fest

We look forward to seeing you again.
Salisbury, N.B
Reviewed June 9, 2011

Choose location to be near mall during last two days of my 8 day journey. MISTAKE. Booked on line at $78 per night - good sale, main floor since no elevator, non smoking.
If I had vehicle would have left upon arrival --and no refund available. As I walked down hall to room it was evident there were smoking rooms all around mine and hall reeked of smoke. Continental breakfast acceptable in tiny room. The rubber door sealer of fridge was the most filthy item I have ever seen. Windows filthy and covered in bird poop. Staff non caring and when I spoke to someone about the smoke smell in room coming around door to hall (opening at bottom) and that clothes I had put in closet reeked of smoke ---only response - open outside door to air out room. I had kept the outside door to parking lot open and chained during entire stay except when sleeping.
Bad experience.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank shirl19
TravelLadyGTA, General Manager at Travelodge Calgary South, responded to this review, June 21, 2011
Hello Guest

Thank you for positng your response regarding your past stay. We appreciate all positive and negative comments, We welcome responses so that we may improve the property, it is unfortunate that as the manager, that you did not take the opportunity to discuss your concerns while staying at the property.

At our location, we still have rooms that are both smoking and non smoking. We do not allow smoking in the hallways.and personally I have never smelled smoke travelling through the hallways from one room to another., under the sealed doorway.

However, the unfortunate part of being on the main level, is that all the rooms have an outside door and large window to the parking lot. I have found that if individuals are smoking outside in the parking lot or if there any outside smells such as the restaurants next door cooking, the rooms are subject to taking in those smells very quickly. I certainly will take your comments back to my staff and encourage the staff to move guests away from the main level in a effort to try to eliminate the outside smells from affecting future guests

Thank you again and I look foward to hearing from you in the near future.

Travelers are raving about these Calgary hotels

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed February 14, 2011

The fire alarm went off on both nights during my stay. The staff told me this happens in the winter when freezing air gets into the hotel. They didn't think it could be fixed and apparently most guests just accept it. If you stay here in the winter don't be surprized if the fire alarm goes off in the middle of the night for a couple of minutes before it gets silenced. Not a good idea if you're expecting a good night's sleep.
They do have a good continental breakfast and the hotel is clean. If what the staff told me about the fire alarm is true, it shouldn't be a problem in the summer.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank nystay
TravelLadyGTA, General Manager at Travelodge Calgary South, responded to this review, May 24, 2011
Thank you for responding both about the postive and negative aspects of your stay. You are right, we have had issues in the past with our fire alarm system, and it only happens in extreme -35 temps . We have had our professionals in and they have fixed the problem with the highly sensitive alarms

Thank you for the positive comments regarding the cleaniness of the property, We pride our selves in keeping the location very clean

We look forward to seeing you again, summer and winter
Cranbrook, Canada
Reviewed May 1, 2010

we have stayed at the hotel two times at weekly stays and i can tell you the staff are great and they go out of their way to make sure you are happy while you are staying there.we were their on medical reasons but i will stay there anytime they are great people .

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sharosexx
Thank you for your positive remarks, it is nice that someone takes the time to say nice things about our staff

Hope to see you again