Travelodge Hotel Calgary Macleod Trail
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Hotel Blackfoot(Calgary)
View Hotel
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 26, 2010

Take note to which Travelodge you book at on Macleod Trail, because there are 2 only a couple blocks apart from each other. I had accidently booked at one, and arrived at another to check-in. The Guest Service attendants at the front were absolutely useless when it came to helping me figure out the problem. I had to practically beg the Guest Service Representative to call the other hotel down the block to ask if I had made my arrangements there. They made me feel like I was a complete idiot and a waste of their time. I finally arrived to the correct Travelodge hotel very late in the evening, only to wait 30 minutes before someone would even respond to the door. So if you have the chance, do not waste YOUR time with their company.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank Becks25
CalgaryManagement, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Calgary Macleod Trail, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2010

We do have two Travelodge Hotels on Macleod Trail, and we both sometimes get guests at the hotel they didn't reserve at. I am sorry to hear that the service you received was less than you would expect. We strive to always provide friendly and helpful service to all our guests. We will review our scheduling for that evening and discuss with all staff. In this situation, the staff will call the other hotel to confirm the reservation is there, and then give directions on how to get to the other Travelodge.

Reviewed July 25, 2010

The overall experience tarnished Travelodge's reputation. I would value this hotel at $60 a night and that is being generous. Please find another hotel on the Macleod strip there are many.

Cons

• Internet photos are very generous – did not represent the condition of hotel at all
• Room was grimy – Walls, furniture, headboard, lamps, carpet, door
• Walls need new paint – faded, chipped and stained
• Bed linen worn out, stained, frayed - Need new bed linen
• One lamp was loose at the base of the light bulb and sparked when turned on
• Room 229 next to the electrical room sounded like hydrological press all night
• Furniture was very old and scratched
• Fridge was wheeled in after reminding them we needed one
• AC was falling out of the wall
• Toilet would continue to run after flushing every time (had to open up back to stop it)
• Exterior of building was old, cracked everywhere and paint was faded and peeling
• Terrible customer service upon check out

Front desk charged us $123 when we confirmed at $98 online. They did change it to $98 when challenged but gave serious attitude and tossed the invoice to us in a displeased manner.

Pros

• Didn’t charge us for the $10 fridge fee (yes there is a fridge fee)
• Didn’t charge us for the $25 pet fee
• Did honor the online price of $98 (after we didn’t cave to the bullying CS rep)
• Continental breakfast good (cereal, muffins, bagels, eggs, fruit, juice and coffee)
• Maintenance man and breakfast clean up lady were the really nice
• Location was convenient but so were the other hotels along Macleod trail
• Let us check in at 9am
• Allowed pets and children

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Dean/Caroline
CalgaryManagement, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Calgary Macleod Trail, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2010

Thank you for your comments, both the negative and the positive. I am sorry to hear the room did not meet your expectations. We encourage you to make us aware of any short fall with your room while you are at the hotel so we have the opportunity to make it right. We strive to make every guest comfortable during their stay and appreciate hearing if we have over looked something. I will also pass along your comments about our breakfast and maintenance staff. We are pleased to have them on board with our team. Thank you again.

Reviewed July 21, 2010

Good: basic breakfast, staff in breakfast room very nice, observant and helpful. Asked for main floor and got it and appears main floor is non smoking, a plus. Also our room didn't have a fridge and microwave but after asking there was one brought in by the time we returned in the evening
Horrible: beds as hard as the floor; room too small for my mom to manouver around in her wheelchair; impossible for her to get into bathroom with wheelchair; no handicapped room at all in this facility; carpets in hallway filthy and stained; sheets were either threadbare or oily stained - the lighting in the room was so dark it was hard to tell. The bathroom had obviously been painted but they didn't bother to tape or remove items so paint splatter everywhere; water damage in bathroom ceiling; lever to make shower work the knob was missing so really had to struggle to get the shower to flow. The top ledge of the tub surround had not been cleaned in a while and was filthy.

All in all not a great experience at this facility. The only reason we stayed both nights is that we were unable to find something else in the area with a handicapped room or we would have left after the first night.

1  Thank 3gmom

Thank you for your comments, both the good and the bad. I will be sure to let the breakfast room staff see your comments about her service. It is great to be recognized in that way.
Our rooms can be on the small side for manouvering a wheel chair, which is why we choose not to convert any to be handicap accessible. We will look into your other concerns with the room and have maintenance repair any short-comings. If you do find something less than you expected, please let us know while you are on property so we can correct it for you. Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed July 14, 2010

Found this hotel through priceline.com. After getting an ok price on the hotel, I phoned this hotel and let them know that I would need a spaceous room (two double beds), a playpen and a fridge in our room as we have a small child. I was told "No problem". I phoned again the night before we were due to arrive to confirm things and, again, was told that we would have what we needed.

Upon arriving in our tiny room, we found a single bed, no fridge and no playpen. The person working at the front desk said he didn't even know if they had playpens to begin with!! I mentioned that I had called ahead to confirm these things and that we simply could not stay in the hotel if we didn't have a playpen for our child. They said they would try and find one.

Our room was the worst i've ever been in. The entire hotel smelled like dirty feet, as did our room. The word "outdated" is an understatement. There was a material chair in our room from the 60's and it was honestly greasy! The floor (carpet) was almost damp, there were stains on every single lamp shade, a good layer of dust on the furnature and when I tried to pick up the phone...it was stuck to the desk (not by an adhesive either).

I phoned the front desk and informed them that the room was beyond unacceptable. The man told me nothing could be done (as it was the Calgary Stampede weekend) and they would deliver a fridge and playpen to my room. The thing is...the room was so small that there was nowhere to put those things. There was hardly room for our 2 pieces of luggage. So I asked to speak to the manager and, again, was told that nothing could be done. I did not want to keep my child in an unsanitary room, so I tried phoning priceline directly. I spoke with someone, told them the condition of the room and that the staff was offering no help whatsoever. I added that if THIS was the type of hotel that priceline promoted...that I would not be using priceline again in the future. The representative said he would speak with the manager and try to get me a refund.

That representative was on hold for 15 minutes!!! He came back at regular intervals, finally saying he was surprised at the lack of reliable service. Finally, after almost 20 minutes on hold, someone came to our room saying that a double room was available. The new room didn't smell AS bad as the first one, but it did smell damp.

The Travelodge Macleod boasts a free continental breakfast from 7-10am (9am on weekdays). What the advertisement SHOULD say is "Free breakfast from 7am until the food runs out or 10am...whichever comes first". On our first morning at the hotel, we went down around 9am (on a weekend) for breakfast. There were a few measly end pieces of bread, one cup of yogurt and the remains of a container of cereal. My husband asked if breakfast was already over and the woman working in the breakfast room said that once the food is gone, they do not restock. I had a problem with this of course. If someone shows up for breakfast at 9:55am, they should get the same spread as the people who arrive at 7am. I asked if some sort of reinbursement would be offered for people who went to breakfast at the designated time but after the food was gone and was told no.

The swimming pool was super (over) chlorinated (i'm a lifeguard, I can tell) and the hot tub was too hot to enjoy. The rules on the side of the hot tub say not to use the tub at a certain temperature...however there was no thermomater available for anyone to check! Before going to the pool area, I asked the front desk if there were showers and a change room near the pool and was told yes. After arriving at the small pool, we found no showers. At our second visit to the pool, there were no towels available. When my husband went to the front desk to request 3 towels, he was given 1. When he repeated that he needed 3 towels, the clerk rolled his eyes and two more towels were shoved at my husband.

On our second day at the hotel, our air conditioner stopped working. I figured it was a blown fuse. We phoned the front desk and they said that someone would be right up. After waiting 10 minutes, nobody came. I phoned once again and added that we were waiting to go to the Stampede. The front desk staff said that we could go about our day and that someone would come and fix the A/C and turn it on so our room would be cool when we returned. After returning that evening, sure enough...nobody had come to fix the A/C. I phoned the front desk and asked why nothing had been done. They said no note had been left and sent someone up right away. He confirmed that it was indeed a fuse problem and fixed it within seconds. However, by that time our room was too warm to sleep and it was a very uncomfortable night. The windows only open around 4 inches so that didn't help much.

While our beds were made each day, I don't think any dusting nor vaccuming was done. I know this because I had dropped a chip near my bed on the first night. At the time of check out, the chip was still there (and it probably still is!). The same layer of thick dust was on our furnature from the time of check in to the time of check out. As for noise, the hotel is located across from a popular bar. The loud music and hollering didn't stop until around 1:30am each morning. As well, there is a comedy club located in the hotel and visitors to the club take away from parking near the hotel. Finally, the free wi-fi was SO slow that I could not even log on to check my email.

I do NOT recommend this hotel to anyone, especially anyone with children. This was my family's first visit to Calgary and I can honestly say that this experience at the hotel put a huge damper (and stress) on our trip. I understand that it was the Calgary Stampede weekend and they were busy, but that it absolutely NO excuse for poor service, unsanitary conditions and pure neglect. Needless to say, we will never be returning.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank The_Travelling_Mommy

Thank you for your comments. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations on this visit. Unfortunately once extras start to get added into a room, like the playpens and fridges, they can feel small.
We strive to make all our guests feel comfortable, but when this doesn't happen, we do appreciate the feedback. It is used by Management during training sessions and staff meetings as a training tool to ensure we continue to improve.
Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed July 12, 2010

I recently staid at this travelodge with my boyfriend and sister to attend the Calgary Stampede. I booked this hotel through the hotwire.com site to get the best. Despite reserving a room for three people, and three of us standing at the desk with our luggage they checked us in to a room with only one queen bed. I went down to the front desk where the agent tried to get into an argument with me saying she confirmed one queen bed with me. Obviously she didn't, as there were three of us and one bed wasn't going to do the job! She told me that hotwire.com only sends them through a reservation for one room or two rooms, not the number of people the reservation is for. I find this extremely strange as the number of beds required for a reservation is pretty important information. If that's how their system works, it's not good enough, and the hotel should be confirming the number of guests prior to arrival. Next the front desk agent offered to change us to a room with two beds which I thought was fantastic. However, she then informed me that they were booked out for the weekend and no other room was available, so I really don't know why she offered in the first place. I then suggested we put a roll-a-way bed in our room, she said that could be done at a charge of $10 per night. I found it extremely disappointing that after I made a reservation for three people I was having to pay extra for a roll-a-way bed, when she was going t give me a room with two beds for no extra charge had on been available. In the end I had to agree to this charge because we had no other option. When I returned to the room a member of the housekeeping staff brought an infants cot to our room. We then had to call the front desk and ask them for the roll-a-way bed rather than a baby cot. When the roll-a-way bed arrived I asked the staff member if he could bring us an extra towel as there was only two in the room. The towel never showed up during our 2-night stay.
Overall, my check-in experience at this hotel was extremely frustrating and I would urge anyone booking this hotel to confirm their reservation directly with the hotel to avoid the disappointment that we did.
Would I recommend this hotel to a friend? No. The customer service offered by the front desk staff was not up to standard and was definitely a dampener on my evening. Having disappointed guests did not seem to be of any concern to them.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank LL1985
CalgaryManagement, General Manager at Travelodge Hotel Calgary Macleod Trail, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2010

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry to hear that you were unable to get the preferred room type. When reserving a room with an on-line site, have a look at the room type you are reserving. Rates vary with the room type selected and the number of people entered. The room type they register as being purchased is was is put through to the hotel. It is done automatically through the internet systems. The Calgary Stampede is one of the busiest times for Calgary and the hotels, so room type changes may not be possible, based on availability. I would recommend calling the hotel directly if you need to try to make changes to the room that was purchased as we will be able to tell you right away if the new request is available. Thank you again for your comments.