“Friendly staff...But needs alot of work...”

Travelodge Hotel Calgary Macleod Trail
Ranked #96 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Staff was very friendly and they have a good breakfast in the morning but rooms were not clean, beds sagged, found a nice sock under the bed from a previous guest, black hairs in the bathtub. Really need alot of training for the housekeeping staff. They need to put some money in the prooperty, looks nice from the outside but the rooms need alot of help.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank amtiii
CalgaryManagement, Front Office Manager at Travelodge Hotel Calgary Macleod Trail, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Hello Traveler,

First let me show my deepest apologies for the cleanliness of the room, this is not the standard we provide and I’m happy to say since your departure we have spoke to our house keeping management and they has given additional training to every room attendant. Our staff takes great pride in delivering excellent service and it is my pleasure to share your comments with them.

We appreciate your recognition and look forward to hopefully seeing you again soon.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

stayed for 1 night after a concert in Calgary with 2 teenagers. Yes, I was able to get a room without reservation at 11pm at night, but otherwise nothing to get too excited about. Everything about this hotel is worn and in need of renovation. This is one of those places built quickly 40 years ago to serve as moderately priced, convenient lodging. However, if they don't start upgrading their hotels with major renos, they need to charge less for the room rates. Room was clean, but carpets old and nasty, beds too soft, bathtub had holes in the sides, no mini fridge, stained bedspreads etc. The staff were all right, and the breakfast was much appreciated, and same quality as other continental breakfasts. But I would not stay there again. Had very much the same experience at the airport location once before. Travelodge needs to either downgrade their hotels and make them really cheap (if the room had been $70, I would not complain, but it was $120), or renovate.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Hello Traveler,

I would like to offer my apologies for your accommodation experience. I am disappointed that you were provided with a room that was clearly not maintained to our satisfaction or standards.

With our preventative maintenance programs in place all of our rooms are visited at least three times a year which we believe keeps them in good condition. All hotels from time to time need to upgrade their furnishing and our new ownership is currently addressing this issue.

Again, please accept our apologies for a less than perfect stay and we hope that you will return for an experience that exceeds all of your expectations.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

As previous guests have said: The lobby was okay, but as soon as you walked down the corridor - (our room was on the main floor) - it was very shabby looking & smelled awful. We had asked for a non-smoking room. As soon as we walked into the room we could smell the smoke. Receptionist insisted it was a non smoking. If so, it was obvious that this particular room had only just been turned into a non smoking as all the front end rooms had the no smoking sign on the doors where as ours and the other in our location didnt. We had booked a smoking room for our daughter and her partner on the 6th floor and that of course smelled of smoke which you would expect but our was just as bad a smell as hers. In fact ours wasnt as nice a room as theirs.
Both rooms were grubby, the bedspreads had stains on them and the bathroom well thats another story.
The pool area and hot tub were just as bad. Very dirty place.

Our rooms cost $103 cdn and $117 plus taxes...if I'd have paid $58 Cdn like the other reviewer said I wouldnt be writing this complaint. I dont know where he got his deal from?

However, no matter how much it costs...I would never stay here again. Also the wall fan didnt even work - we had to keep the window open all night. The only nice thing I can say is that the staff were nice enough.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 24, 2013

You get what you pay for. $58.00cdn a night and thats what we got. The room was clean, the staff was nice. T.V. worked as did the heat. Clean towels everyday and the bed made. The breakfest was more than alright for this type of place. Would I stay here again? Yes, as all I do is sleep and shower there.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Hello Traveler,

We are delighted to hear that you were able to overlook some of the negative reviews and experience Travelodge Macleod trail for yourself. We appreciate you sharing your experience on Trip Advisor and hope you will visit us again in the future.

Many thanks for sharing your impressions of our hotel and the team and myself look forward to welcoming you back in the not to distant future.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Well, I've stayed in a number of hotels, and this I would have to say was one of the poorer ones I have stayed in. The lobby was ok, nice enough, but our "suite" was on the "lower" floor, meaning the basement... As soon as we hit the elevator, we could tell how dirty it was, and I had a bad feeling. The door opened to the first floor, which is below - and the smell was overwhelming... smoke, BO, not really sure... But it was really bad. The ceiling had water stains everywhere and the carpet looked like it hadn't been vacuumed in a long time.. The room was better than the hallway, but still not great. It was "ok." There was not much we could do about it, or to upgrade, as we think we had the upgrade, and were only there for a few hours. But, this was not good, and I would not recommend this hotel. Needs a lot of cleaning. I am not very high maintenance, but a clean, nice smelling hotel isn't too much to ask for. not recommended.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank lmcalberta

Hello traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review for our Hotel. We do respect your opinion and are distressed that the cleanliness of the hallways and your room was not to your satisfaction.

We set very high standard for our housekeeping department and are consistently performing quality check in our room through guest feedback. We would like to assure you and all of guests that cleanliness is a priority at our hotel.

Again, please accept our apologies and we hope you’ll give us another chance to earn your trust back.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

My Mom and I stayed at this place during our travels through Alberta. We stayed at this place for two nights. Overall, this was a nice place to stay. It was fairly close to the public transit...and there is a great restaurant across the road. It was clean and the staff were friendly.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Hello Traveler,

It is very much appreciated that you took the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor so that others can be assured of the level of service they will receive when they visit our hotel. On behalf of the Travelodge I would like to thank you for your kind words and I will be sure to pass them on to our members of staff. We look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

I orignally booked this hotel online a week before New Years as it was in close proximity to our New Years Eve Event. By the day before, I noticed that I had never received a confirmation via email so I called to double check my reservation. The lady said they had no record of my reservation which left me in a bit of a scramble seeing as it was a day before NYE. I went back online and rebooked as there was luckily space still available. I received my confirmation this time and all seemed well. Upon check-in, the front desk lady informed me that I had two rooms booked. I explained the situation and at first she seemed like she was going to charge me anyway. I was under the impression the misunderstanding was conveyed and off we went. The room was small but clean - you get what you pay for and for us we just needed a warm place to sleep. A few days later, I see I had been charged for both rooms. I was so frustrated as this had just been a major pain in the butt and now I had been double charged due to their mistakes. I called to request a refund on one room and am still waiting on the refund to go into my account a week later. If it wasn't for this mix-up, I would have rated it ok, but due to this inconvenience, I'm not impressed at all.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank liltravelbugns

Hello Traveler,

Firstly, let me sincerely apologize for the billing error you encountered upon your departure to the hotel. We are truly regretful that your stay with us was slightly tainted due to this error and I can surely understand your frustration in the matter. i have spoken to my front desk team and voiced your concerns to them to ensure billing errors such as yours will be made a thing of the past.

I thank you for bringing your concerns to my attention and hope despite this confusion your faith in our property will be restored on a future visit.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you are still uneasy regarding our billing.