“Stay away - tiny nighttime visitors”

Travelodge Hotel Calgary International Airport South
Ranked #99 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Brooks, Alberta
“Stay away - tiny nighttime visitors”
Reviewed September 29, 2007

The Calgary hotel business must be rolling in the bucks - as it is difficult these days to find a vacancy anywhere on any given night... The economic boom may be great for many - but it is not so great for travelers. Hotels of all shapes and sizes are having difficulty finding good workers (whether maids or desk workers) - and this is reflected in the Travelodge.

Case in point, a colleague and I booked two rooms for a single night at this hotel as we were picking up a large group at the airport the next morning. Both rooms being the same, we divvied up the keys and settled for the night. Unfortunately for my co-worker, at 2:30 in the morning, she spied an insect crawling towards her across the sheet (lucky she was up reading!). Crushing it, she found it full of blood - so took a quick look and found another bug near her pillow.

Well, the fact that she remained non-plussed is simply amazing, but in meeting her in the morning in the lobby, she showed me both bugs (dead in a plastic bag). Sure enough, they were very certainly bedbugs. Not wanting to make a scene (although if it were my room, there would have been fireworks around 2:45...), I waited until the front desk was clear, then showed the two women at the desk the bugs and suggested they take immediate and severe action.

Their response was "oh, I always wondered what one looked like"... Astounding! What kind of fools work at this place ??? No "sorry", no offer to adjust or eliminate the room charges... What a joke! In researching bedbugs - they are a many thousand dollar home expense just waiting to hitchhike with travelers. The poor response to this just adds to the reasons not to stay here...

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Bedbugs
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Acemeister

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Prince George, Canada
Reviewed June 29, 2007

We stayed here two nights, before and after our mexican trip.
The room was very small , but clean. There seemed to be a lot of men staying here, ( maybe workers from nearby ) . We had an early rise and found in the elevator a drunken man, laying on the floor. The front desk staff was trying to wake him, as we were leaving for the airport. We had free breakfast in the morning, ( on our return flight ) but you have to be seated in the restaurant . We ordered tea and toast and juice, but they also brought two lovely fruit salads. If you were interested in a bigger buffet style breakfast than you have to pay. We are unsure if other items were available for free.

The free internet in the lobby was not very good , since I tried to do a web check in for our flight , but it was locked. The girls on the front desk were openly talking about customers who werent paid up, and anyone sitting in the lobby could hear.
I will only stay here again if I cant find another hotel with a vacancy.

• Liked — shuttle service
  • Disliked — small rooms
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank justafemale
Harrisonburg, VA
Reviewed May 31, 2007

We booked this hotel through Hotwire for three adults in need of a hotel room before our pre-dawn departure from Calgary (via Banff and Jasper National Park).

The front desk service was desultory at best -- they had problems locating our reservation, so it was good to have a hard copy of our booking; the room layout was problematic (the coffee maker was on a desk that had no access to outlets); the internet access consisted of
one terminal in the lobby and no directions in the room of how to get
into the wireless system (we eventually figured it out on our own). Finally, arriving in the lobby at 4;20 am to gather a luggage cart, we were told all were being used by other guests (presumably, those leaving on the first airport shuttle) and that "one would be available soon".

For what we paid and what we needed, it served its purpose -- it is easy access to the airport, after all. However, we wouldn't go out of
our way to stay here in other circumstances.

• Liked — location and price
  • Disliked — lack of instructions re: wireless access
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Nondumblond
canada
Reviewed March 9, 2007

Travel Planner booked the Travelodge as no other hotels available. I can see why. I stayed here years ago, when it was under another chain ( I'm talking 13 years ago) It is in dire need of renovations or better yet tear it down and build another hotel. I felt like I was staying in a hostel with a bunch of backpackers. Never felt comfortable sleeping. My rooms cement floor was heaving.......everytime I got out of bed I felt like I was drunk as the floor was crooked. I was on the main floor I could never keep my window open or blinds open. Right outside my window the kitchen staff or whomever would always be outside smoking or talking. Literally right in front of me ! The air conditioning sounded like a freight train. It had to have been the original air conditioning unit. Bathroom could not get any plainer.....but it was clean. I did not have a choice as nothing else available during stampede. Would I personally book this..........Absolutely NOT!! I think I would cancel my trip if this was the only place to stay.
It's simply just seen it's days and some money needs to be put into it.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank okop
Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed July 23, 2006

Of course it was a little run down but what do you want for the price. You already know going into it that you aren't staying at a Hilton so what is the problem?

Front desk staff weren't friendly but everyone else was.

Rooms were small but clean.

Food was excellent in the restaurant.

My family had to stay there for a few nights as our house in town was flooded. I would recommend staying at this hotel to friends that were tired of paying the high price of hotels and everything else.

Our room even had a fridge and microwave.

Thank you Travelodge!

• Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank LikeToTravel1975
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 20, 2006

Property was run down. Had three rooms, first room to small but seemed ok. Second room on 2nd floor, lampshades all water stained, walls had sweat stains running down walls. Bathtub needed to be replaced. Dust and dirt stains on furniture. Holes in walls not properly fixed. Carpet full of holes. Window needed cleaning. Ceiling in bathroom stained. Really needed renovations. THird room still had problems but better than 2nd. Hotel just needed a good paint job, replacement of carpets needed throught out and more attention to cleaning . Manager was rude. Would not recommend anyone to stay

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 25, 2006

I travel a lot and I've stayed in many hotels, from 5 to 3 stars.
Services are good. The room is a little small for the price but ok, no smell and clean. All the rest is ok.
Never been to their restaurant or used the pool.

• Stayed February 2006