“This hotel is an average to above average hotel for the...”

Calgary North Thriftlodge
Ranked #93 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Reviewed August 7, 2013

I booked my room with Roomstays (which is a whole bad ordeal its self and never will be dealt with again) but I called the hotel after I did my reservation, and asked if my husband would need his own credit card upon arrival for security funds. they employee I spoke with did not even answer saying "thriftlodge" or anything and he told me that his room was paid for and he did NOT need a credit card when he gets there. well my husband arrived at 230am and called me (430am) and complained because the employee at the time said that his room was not paid for. my husband showed him his confirmation email and the employe still argued. finally after a while the employe realised where he mistake was made and that it was paid by roomstay. he then wanted a credit card number for the security funds, which was said previously that he did not need one. well I gave my husband my mothers number over the phone and the employe accepted it, (which he was not supposed to),, but im happy he did because my husband would have slept on the streets. and he had almost no more money left because "roomstay" said he was within 5 miles from the airport, but he was 19kms away so his taxi was 60$$...

I was not impressed with roomstay and this hotel. they both agreed to no security funds and they both screwed up. I have that their customer service can be fixed

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Ashley L
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Clean room. No bugs crawling in my bed. Bathroom fine and soap provided. It definitley is not a tip top modern establishment but just fine if you are looking for a place to sleep. I found the man at the front desk to be service minded. I have seen a few bad reviews of the motel and maybe its just a matter of luck with the room you are given and with the neighbouring guests, but i have no big complaints.

Normally i would write that you get what you pay for, but to be fair i did find the price of this motel to be steep. This is more a comment on the fact that Calgary is a very expensive city. This place was definitley a budget option relative to other hotels.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa C
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Les M
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Reviewed July 20, 2013

I stay at this property often as I use it and their sister property in the South West part of Calgary, as my base while I am in Calgary. Yes, this property is old (I first stayed here over thirty-five years ago) and it would be disingenuous of me to not say that there is wear and tear in some of the rooms. I have never had an issue with the cleanliness nor have I ever stayed in a room that did not have the remote control for the air conditioner. I have stayed in a lot of their rooms over the years and if I felt that the property was unclean, unhygienic or uncomfortable, I would simply move to another property however, I have never been required to do so. This is a very reasonably priced property for a city that is known for expensive rooms. In all fairness though, the age of this property reflects in my overall rating as I believe it must be taken into account.

Forgetting the age for a moment, this property is part of Calgary's well known Motel Village that has long anchored what was once the last traffic light before travellers headed out Highway 1A (today's Highway 1 also known as the Trans Canada, was not constructed at that time). Leaving your room, the intrepid wanderer will be in Canmore in an hour and Banff in a mere fifteen minutes further west. Bordering the Thriftlodge parking lot is Phil's Restaurant and a quick one minute walk brings you to Denny's, Boston Pizza and McDonalds. This Thriftlodge is close to Calgary's wonderful Children's Hospital and you are within easy walking distance of McMahon Stadium (Go Stamps GO). You are also very close to the University of Calgary (U of C), Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT) and Calgary's Light Rail Transport (LRT) system. The world renowned Calgary Zoo is a short fifteen to twenty minute drive east down 16th Avenue though, allow yourself a full day to explore. The funky Kensington district with its multitude of eclectic shops and fine restaurants, is a five minute drive south down 14th Street and is well worth exploring.

Yes, the continental breakfast nook is jammed into a corner of what is already a very small front lobby but, it is well stocked with juices, pastries, local newspapers and more hot coffee then anyone would like to drink in a morning. I have made several trips to the lobby, to fortify myself as I slug through the paperwork from the previous day. I enjoy waiting as young families mill around filling plates to overflowing as the kids wait impatiently for permission to hit the salt water pool one more time before they leave. Personally, as a professional traveller, I will always pick a property that appeals to young families. It makes me feel closer to my own family's adventures on the road when I can hear excited children racing for the pool for just one more quick dip! I recommend this property as a comfortable place to stay, when you are working with a budget yet, want to be close to the action!

Room Tip: The west facing rooms near the pool can be a little noisy in the early part of the evening but are v...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank baudley
Reviewed July 19, 2013

This hotel is probably to be as expected given the name, however, I think the price is high considering the condition of the rooms. It's very old and sketchy on safety. There is no way to turn on the AC without climbing up on a chair. Most of the night I felt like I had bugs crawling on me although I never saw anything. My son did get bit on his leg. I checked in late and left early. I would not want to spend more than a night.

2  Thank Lori K