“Decent Hotel”

Super 8 Calgary Shawnessy Area
Ranked #74 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 24, 2014

My son and I stayed at this hotel after a Flames game on a Friday in January. We planned on attending the Flyfishing expo at Spruce Meadows on the Saturday. We chose the hotel because if was virtually the furthest south and provided the easiest access to Spruce Meadows. The was definitely nothing fancy about the hotel; however, the room was clean and the front desk clerk was very friendly. When we returned from the game, the night desk clerk took the time to ask us how we liked the room. I appreciated the fact he took the time to ask. Normally this question is not extended until checkout at other hotels.

I would not hesitate to recommend the hotel to anyone that is looking for an average room with no frills, at a decent rate.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Monica S, General Manager at Super 8 Calgary Shawnessy Area, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Thank you for your honest and truthful response

The staff were excited that you had a great experience and that their effort s to make your stay special were successful

We appreciate your feedback

Reviewed January 24, 2014

We found this hotel to be very outdated and not at all sound proof. We could hear everything being said in the hallway and the shrieking of children using the hallway for a playground. Calgary may be known for the Stampede, but huge murals of bucking horses etc. and Calgary Stampede Logos serving as headboards carry it a bit too far. Everything in our room and in the bathroom especially was in need of renovation. Location is good if shopping is a priority but all in all the hotel was only fair value for the cost.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Super 8 worldwide has introduced a brand new look to their rooms which is using local black and white pictures as the headboards. In Calgary , we use the Calgary stampede logo as well as other very popular local attractions.

I certainly will pass on your critique on the updates renovated rooms to our brand decorators

Reviewed January 17, 2014

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 12, 2014

Great hotel! Great location! It is near tons of shopping and restaurants. There is tons of parking as well.

The front desk clerk was very friendly and helpful. Check in and check out was very fast. Our room was very clean. Our beds and pillows were very comfortable.

We did not have the breakfast because we slept in.

We have stayed here before and we will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Monica S, General Manager at Super 8 Calgary Shawnessy Area, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Thank you for taking time to respond to our site, We are so happy that you had a fantastic super stay.

Our staff makes every effort to ensure that your staff was a good one. We are proud from housekeeping to front desk to make you our number one priority

Thank you for recognizing us and we look forward to your next stay in Calgary

Reviewed December 4, 2013

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 2, 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Super 8
Monica S, General Manager at Super 8 Calgary Shawnessy Area, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Reviewed December 2, 2013

I booked this hotel through booking .com for its location price and as I had stayed in super 8 hotels before and always had a positive experience was expecting the same.
When I booked with booking.com it said that this was a non refundable and no cancellation policy to this booking and that my credit card would be charged previous which I didn't have a problem with as this happens a lot.
When we were checking in the desk clerk asked for a credit card IMPRINT for incidentals, which also is expected but I asked for which incidentals as the local calls and wireless were to be free and as I had already paid for the room was curious as to what incidentals could be charged to my credit card. The desk clerk, Iris his name, said for damage to hotel like a wall being punched in or something and I thought well okay but then my travelling companion asked if there was an actual charge for this he stated yes 75.00 would be put on the credit card right then as a hold.
I was shocked by this as I have never heard of such as thing and I've stayed at many hotels in all price ranges all over the world including other super 8's and I told him this and he was extremely rude saying he didn't care where I had stayed before and if I wanted to check in that I would have to pay this as this was the hotel policy. I asked to see this policy in writing and he was digging through all these papers and couldn't find it and then gave me this one sheet that was titled Credit card authorization form and he had stroked out the top line which had said this was to be used if a third party wants to pay for the actual guest staying, not by actual staying guest and basically it said the guest would have to leave a credit card IMPRINT which makes sense ,no where did it say anything about taking a 75.00 fee. I wanted to talk to the manager and he said she wasn't there and wouldn't be until Monday and pointed to her card on the desk but said "Don't call her on the weekend" . He was so rude we asked for his name and he stuck out his chest and pointed to his name badge not even saying his name, and his whole attitude was pay the deposit or leave and as I had already been charged my credit card, I was basically blackmailed into staying there by either agreeing to the 75.00 deposit or losing my 337.00 hotel cost.
So by this point we are tired and just want to go to sleep so we go to our room and one of us goes to use the bathroom and closes the door and notices a baseball sized hole punched in the back of the bathroom door!!! I call down to Iris and say there is this big hole in the door and I want him to come up to see it so I am not charged for this upon check out and he sounds like his is unaware there is a hole in the door and I him to come up immediately to have proof in front of witness and him that this was already here when we checked in so he says okay. We wait for him to come up and instead of coming to the room he calls the room and says he talked to the manager and she is aware of it. I told him I thought the manager wasn't in and available so how did he talk to her and he said he didn't talk to her but everyone at the hotel was aware of it.Lie after lie. I still wanted him to come up personally as his credibility was zero with me and he wouldn't but said he would make a note on my file about the damage already being there.
I went to check out of the hotel a day early as a blizzard was coming into alberta on Monday and didn't want to get stuck in Calgary and when I went to check out the front desk person said I couldn't until I contacted booking .com and they contacted the hotel to cancel and to confirm because of any cancellation refund or something and I said it was already paid to Monday and was told it was non refundable so why couldn't I check out? He was saying it was booking .com policy of no refund and it was actually the hotels I later found out which was another lie by the employees there. I said I didn't care about the refund I just wanted to get out of this hotel by this point and I told the clerk I wanted it on my receipt that I had not damaged the room so I wouldn't be later charged for that and he says "What you Damaged the room?" So obviously Iris had not put anything on the file regarding this and the whole hotel as he claimed was not aware of this as this clerk was unaware of any of this and he said he was going to go up and check the room out. I told him what good was that as that would be no proof it was there when we checked in. I was furious to say the least by now and this desk clerk called that other one and luckily he was in the hotel at the time and told this one it was reported as damaged upon check in, otherwise if he hadn't been in the hotel at the time where was my proof I hadn't done it as no note had every been made on the file. I told this clerk I wanted in writing on my receipt that there was no damage done by me and it was there prior to check in and he was like "I cant put that in there as there is no way to do it!" I was unbelieving this, I told him to print the receipt off and HAND write it and sign it which he finally did, so I had written proof.
No where on the booking .com reservation or on the super 8 hotel site ,as I looked everywhere through both, is there anything that says they are going to take basically a damage deposit on your credit card upon check in and I bet most people are not even aware they are doing this as they don't tell you this upon check in unless questioned, as they say they are taking your credit card imprint for incidentals and most people I'm sure think as I do, that this is JUST an imprint not an actual deposit for damage, not like room service or local ,long distance calls like other hotels and there is absolutely no record of this deposit on your receipt when you get it upon checking out, which it should be as in any other charge by hotel.This tells me the hotel does not want people to know they are doing this on the sly. If people are not aware of this damage deposit charge they normally wouldn't even think about reporting damage in their room upon check in as they would think the hotel was aware of it and lo and behold when you check out, three days later you get a 75.00 charge extra to your credit card for something you didn't do.I'm wondering is this some sort of scam by this hotel! The two clerks I dealt with so rude but I would like to give kudos to another one who was very helpful and nice when the tv remote wouldn't work in the room didn't catch his name but had reddish blonde hair and glasses and the housekeeping staff and restaurant staff maybe they should be put in to positions at front desk instead! Stayed at this place Nov 28 - Dec 1 2013 suggest you DON'T do the same

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Monica S, General Manager at Super 8 Calgary Shawnessy Area, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Ms 710Tami,
Thank you for reviewing our property and I am so glad that I have the opportunity to respond. Thank you for letting us know about the front desk. As I sent to you in an email, took the opportunity to review the interaction between our front desk and yourself. I have worked with the front desk so that they are able to "word" policies a bit better, I know that when one is being yelled at , the inexperienced front desk clerks will react out of shock and fear rather than logical. As they can more experience, then I agree, they should and will be able to handle upset guests smoother. It was not their intention to appear rude but try to answer the questions as they were coming at them.

As noted, you booked with booking.com, on a non refundable non cancellable booking. The rate and agreement you made is with the website booking.com. The hotel followed the policies and agreement that you made when you booked the room. I am unclear of why you were not aware of the agreement that you entered into and I am following up with booking.com how we can make it clearer.

As with most Super 8 and other chains worldwide, it is standard practice to require a credit card at check in . This is clearly noted on the website and on booking.com as well. Incidentals is a nice way to include all types of charges outside of the room rate including phone calls, movies, damage, late check outs and noise. At Super 8 Shawnessy, we pride ourselves on being professional and handling all guests fairly. IN order to ensure that with today's issue of fraudlent credit cards, all hotels (not just us) need to take a preauthorization on the card. This is not a charge, but a temporay hold on the card. At this property , we only hold a very very very small amount of $75 rather than other hotels and/or car rental companies that will place much larger holds on.

Thank you again for giving us this chance to clear up any misunderstandings and we are truely sorry that we were unable to make it clearer when you were here