“A weekend in Calgary”

Super 8 Calgary Shawnessy Area
Ranked #73 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
GreenLeadersBronze level

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Saskatoon, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

I booked this hotel through booking .com for its location price and as I had stayed in super 8 hotels before and always had a positive experience was expecting the same.
When I booked with booking.com it said that this was a non refundable and no cancellation policy to this booking and that my credit card would be charged previous which I didn't have a problem with as this happens a lot.
When we were checking in the desk clerk asked for a credit card IMPRINT for incidentals, which also is expected but I asked for which incidentals as the local calls and wireless were to be free and as I had already paid for the room was curious as to what incidentals could be charged to my credit card. The desk clerk, Iris his name, said for damage to hotel like a wall being punched in or something and I thought well okay but then my travelling companion asked if there was an actual charge for this he stated yes 75.00 would be put on the credit card right then as a hold.
I was shocked by this as I have never heard of such as thing and I've stayed at many hotels in all price ranges all over the world including other super 8's and I told him this and he was extremely rude saying he didn't care where I had stayed before and if I wanted to check in that I would have to pay this as this was the hotel policy. I asked to see this policy in writing and he was digging through all these papers and couldn't find it and then gave me this one sheet that was titled Credit card authorization form and he had stroked out the top line which had said this was to be used if a third party wants to pay for the actual guest staying, not by actual staying guest and basically it said the guest would have to leave a credit card IMPRINT which makes sense ,no where did it say anything about taking a 75.00 fee. I wanted to talk to the manager and he said she wasn't there and wouldn't be until Monday and pointed to her card on the desk but said "Don't call her on the weekend" . He was so rude we asked for his name and he stuck out his chest and pointed to his name badge not even saying his name, and his whole attitude was pay the deposit or leave and as I had already been charged my credit card, I was basically blackmailed into staying there by either agreeing to the 75.00 deposit or losing my 337.00 hotel cost.
So by this point we are tired and just want to go to sleep so we go to our room and one of us goes to use the bathroom and closes the door and notices a baseball sized hole punched in the back of the bathroom door!!! I call down to Iris and say there is this big hole in the door and I want him to come up to see it so I am not charged for this upon check out and he sounds like his is unaware there is a hole in the door and I him to come up immediately to have proof in front of witness and him that this was already here when we checked in so he says okay. We wait for him to come up and instead of coming to the room he calls the room and says he talked to the manager and she is aware of it. I told him I thought the manager wasn't in and available so how did he talk to her and he said he didn't talk to her but everyone at the hotel was aware of it.Lie after lie. I still wanted him to come up personally as his credibility was zero with me and he wouldn't but said he would make a note on my file about the damage already being there.
I went to check out of the hotel a day early as a blizzard was coming into alberta on Monday and didn't want to get stuck in Calgary and when I went to check out the front desk person said I couldn't until I contacted booking .com and they contacted the hotel to cancel and to confirm because of any cancellation refund or something and I said it was already paid to Monday and was told it was non refundable so why couldn't I check out? He was saying it was booking .com policy of no refund and it was actually the hotels I later found out which was another lie by the employees there. I said I didn't care about the refund I just wanted to get out of this hotel by this point and I told the clerk I wanted it on my receipt that I had not damaged the room so I wouldn't be later charged for that and he says "What you Damaged the room?" So obviously Iris had not put anything on the file regarding this and the whole hotel as he claimed was not aware of this as this clerk was unaware of any of this and he said he was going to go up and check the room out. I told him what good was that as that would be no proof it was there when we checked in. I was furious to say the least by now and this desk clerk called that other one and luckily he was in the hotel at the time and told this one it was reported as damaged upon check in, otherwise if he hadn't been in the hotel at the time where was my proof I hadn't done it as no note had every been made on the file. I told this clerk I wanted in writing on my receipt that there was no damage done by me and it was there prior to check in and he was like "I cant put that in there as there is no way to do it!" I was unbelieving this, I told him to print the receipt off and HAND write it and sign it which he finally did, so I had written proof.
No where on the booking .com reservation or on the super 8 hotel site ,as I looked everywhere through both, is there anything that says they are going to take basically a damage deposit on your credit card upon check in and I bet most people are not even aware they are doing this as they don't tell you this upon check in unless questioned, as they say they are taking your credit card imprint for incidentals and most people I'm sure think as I do, that this is JUST an imprint not an actual deposit for damage, not like room service or local ,long distance calls like other hotels and there is absolutely no record of this deposit on your receipt when you get it upon checking out, which it should be as in any other charge by hotel.This tells me the hotel does not want people to know they are doing this on the sly. If people are not aware of this damage deposit charge they normally wouldn't even think about reporting damage in their room upon check in as they would think the hotel was aware of it and lo and behold when you check out, three days later you get a 75.00 charge extra to your credit card for something you didn't do.I'm wondering is this some sort of scam by this hotel! The two clerks I dealt with so rude but I would like to give kudos to another one who was very helpful and nice when the tv remote wouldn't work in the room didn't catch his name but had reddish blonde hair and glasses and the housekeeping staff and restaurant staff maybe they should be put in to positions at front desk instead! Stayed at this place Nov 28 - Dec 1 2013 suggest you DON'T do the same

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Monica S, General Manager at Super 8 Calgary Shawnessy Area, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Ms 710Tami,
Thank you for reviewing our property and I am so glad that I have the opportunity to respond. Thank you for letting us know about the front desk. As I sent to you in an email, took the opportunity to review the interaction between our front desk and yourself. I have worked with the front desk so that they are able to "word" policies a bit better, I know that when one is being yelled at , the inexperienced front desk clerks will react out of shock and fear rather than logical. As they can more experience, then I agree, they should and will be able to handle upset guests smoother. It was not their intention to appear rude but try to answer the questions as they were coming at them.

As noted, you booked with booking.com, on a non refundable non cancellable booking. The rate and agreement you made is with the website booking.com. The hotel followed the policies and agreement that you made when you booked the room. I am unclear of why you were not aware of the agreement that you entered into and I am following up with booking.com how we can make it clearer.

As with most Super 8 and other chains worldwide, it is standard practice to require a credit card at check in . This is clearly noted on the website and on booking.com as well. Incidentals is a nice way to include all types of charges outside of the room rate including phone calls, movies, damage, late check outs and noise. At Super 8 Shawnessy, we pride ourselves on being professional and handling all guests fairly. IN order to ensure that with today's issue of fraudlent credit cards, all hotels (not just us) need to take a preauthorization on the card. This is not a charge, but a temporay hold on the card. At this property , we only hold a very very very small amount of $75 rather than other hotels and/or car rental companies that will place much larger holds on.

Thank you again for giving us this chance to clear up any misunderstandings and we are truely sorry that we were unable to make it clearer when you were here
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

The room was fairly clean and though there was a burning smell in the elevator that was kind of scary, it was average enough. Breakfast was more than I expected, never really had a breakfast at a hotel so was expecting toast and coffee, but there were bagels, cereal, eggs, sausage, bacon. It really made my stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Monica S, General Manager at Super 8 Calgary Shawnessy Area, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Thank you for your response , We are truely sorry that you had to experience the burning smell of our elevator, but we are happy to say that it has been fully repaired.

We hope that you will try us again and we look forward to seeing you again
Whaley Bridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

We spent the last 3 nights of our Canada trip in this hotel and found it clean and convenient. The front desk staff were very pleasant and helpful, always cheerful too which really makes a difference. Our room was spacious and the bed was comfortable. We found it easy to walk to the C-Train from the hotel and it was a pleasant 30 minute ride for just $3 to downtown Calgary - a lovely city to explore. There are plenty of eating options close to the hotel and a liquor store just a short walk away with a great choice of beers!
Breakfast was plentiful and the staff taking care of the breakfast room kept the items topped up and the place clean and tidy. A pleasant stay and good value for the price we paid.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments, and we are excited to see you had a super stay

We strive to ensure that we deliver on customer service and the best product that we can. The team in every area from front desk, to housekeeping to maintenance, want to give a personal touch to the stay.

Thank you again and you are so welcome back, we are awaiting your next trip
Edmonton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

It's what you expect from a Super 8. Clean and very basic. No frills. Only reason why we booked here was it was close to business meetings at Spruce Meadows. Beds were comfortable (surprised) but pillows aren't the best. Stayed in a "king suite" which really has a bit more room and a chair. Not really what you'd call a real king suite.

A lot of amenities around in the Shawnessy area so that's a plus.

Again very basic.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your response and we are happy that you found our location to be clean

We are happy to announce that we are planning to start a few renovations in the new year and we are confident that you will see an improvement on our product

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in October 2013 and was greeted with a great smile upon checkin. Was curious of dining options in the area and the staff were able to provide a good close recommendation. Room was very spacious and clean. Ask for a king size room if you like lots of space!! Checking out in the morning was seamless and I had the receipt emailed to me instantaneously. Lots of shopping and dining nice and close to the hotel will make this my choice going forward.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Monica S, General Manager at Super 8 Calgary Shawnessy Area, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thank you for the SUPER review, Our team was happy to see that you had a great stay and we are looking forward to seeing you again