“Awful” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #76 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
UK
“Awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2009

Stayed for one night as we required somewhere close to a wedding reception we were attending. I stay in a lot of hotels / motels through business and I have to say, this is perhaps one of the worst that I have ever experienced. The rate quoted for a motel located in Calgary and booked online whilst in Calgary was, oddly enough, in USD. It was booked in a rush so I didn't notice until afterwards that it was over $100 Cdn until afterwards. Ah well, my fault, but a little underhand I feel. However, I can live with that. What I did not like was the reception and subsequent service. The receptionist was working hard to achieve a reasonable level of customer service but only managed to reach 'disinterested'. He later thawed but only after I complained about the state of the room.
The room was cold, it was grubby in general appearance and appeared to be an ex-smoking room as it smelled horribly of stale tobacco. I am a smoker and hate this smell. I made a quick check of room and here is the list of faults. The bedding looked like it had not been changed, the sheets were all creased like someone had already used them, the cover had a large cigarette burn in it, the bath was FILTHY and ewwww, there was a dirty sock on the floor!! I reported this to front desk and in all fairness, he was receptive to my complaint. He apologised stating that the room had not yet been refurbished and it was old bedding and furniture. (Ok, good 'fess up, but is that a fair state to rent a room out in? Should we be taking pot luck on getting newer bedding and decor yet paying the same rate?) However, he did offer to move rooms for us but as we had literally stopped off to check in and go to the reception, we had no time so he assured us he would inform the night duty receptionist who would facilitate this.
So, we get back at gone midnight and find the lobby full of old drunks bouncing off the walls. The new receptionist was initially very arrogant and disinterested and insisted on seeing the room for himself as he did not believe what I was telling him. He then lept up and ran up the stairs to 'check for myself'. I followed him and caught up with him at the door telling him that it was innapropriate to barge off and let himself into our room without us as our stuff was in there. He then said that we shouldn't have used the room and anyway he had none of the same rate to move us to and hadn't reserved one as the day guy had not told him anything about this. I explained that it hadn't been used, yadda yadda, etc and despite assuring me that it had been cleaned, could not explain the errant sock! He agreed to move us and took us to the next floor making a point of telling us that this was an upgrade but we wouldn't be billed and guess what, EXACTLY the same room but with new furniture and bedding and wow, CLEAN! So guys, if you want to stay here, don't, but if you really do, bear in mind that you should go for the higher rate so that you get a clean room which apparently is the exec suite.

Sorry to ramble on but it really was that awful!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NigelOgden

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Edmonton, AB
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2009

The hotel looks a bit dated based on the exterior and lobby, but the room itself was surprisingly comfortable - and no horrible polyester bedspreads, these were thick and comfortable! The furniture in the rooms I stayed in (multiple rooms over 3 weeks) was fairly new and well maintained, much better than I had expected. I stayed a night at the Travellodge as well and actually moved back to the Super 8 for the remainder of my stay. Staff were really friendly and helpful. Really convenient location - tons of restaurants and shopping on Barlow Trail /' 32 Ave / and Sunridge shopping area all within blocks.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Surrey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2009

My first impression was by phone and by what I read on here and it wasn't good...BUT I have to say being there was a different story. The front desk staff were very kind, funny and very helpful. We stayed for 3 days and the rooms were made up everyday and it was really clean.

Breakfast is what it is. Juice, coffee, packaged waffles, muffins, and cereal but it saves you money from having to go a restaurant, so it is more than sufficient. It was difficult for me to find as my GPS didn't recognize the address. You have to turn right on 32 avenue and then right on 26th Street to get in through the back. Lots of amenities in the area including a liquor store, restaurants etc. I will be back again when we go back next year!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
halifax
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2009

Customer service at this hotel is the worst we have ever received. We would not advise anyone stay at this hotel.

To describe our experience: We booked a room at this hotel weeks in advance for our son, a student, to have accommodations upon arriving in Calgary for work. Thinking of him the evening before his arrival, we made a confirmatory phone call to ensure the room would still be booked. We received confirmation of the booking, however they informed us he would not be able to check in based on the fact that the credit card used was in our name. We asked to be billed over the phone and they were not able to do this. Since our reservation required our credit card number and we would be billed should he not show up, we did not understand why our son would not be let in to his reservation and we asked for assistance. We received no assistance or guidance on how to proceed. We asked to speak to a manager who could provide assistance and we were told he was unavailable. We asked to speak to a customer service representative or to see privacy policies so that we could understand how we might be able to resolve the issue, and we were told no. In order to save our son from being stranded, we were forced to make reservations through another hotel.

Based on previous experiences of other customers as posted on this review site, and our experience, we would strongly recommend another hotel. Should any of these experiences happen to you, customer service may not be available.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2009

Tolerable hotel for the price and location near airport- quiet rooms, and reasonably helpful front desk staff. Much cheaper than nearby motels. Breakfast really only cereal and juice- adequate but that's all. Wireless internet excellent

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Vancouver
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2008

my husband and I stayed at this hotel for a weekend and it is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. The service at the front desk was horrible, they were rude and had no intentions on making us comfortable. They would not let us talk to a manager and the front desk clerk pretended that he was the manager. The rooms were cleaned very poorly, but I do have to say the bathtubs were freshly refinished which at least we knew we could have a shower without catching something. Can't say much about the rest of the room.

Stayed November 2008
Regina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2008

Required a one night stop over in Calgary and chose this hotel because of price and free shuttle service. Be aware that the shuttle service operates from 6:30 AM to 11:00 PM only. Also be aware that it picks up and departs on it's schedule once an hour only. You should check with them regarding shuttle times before you book.

The rooms are heated by an in wall air conditioner / heater unit. When we arrived ours was turned off and the room was near freezing. I had to chink the cold air drafts around the unit with toilet paper to keep the -30 C draft out and it took most of the night to heat the room up. The fan had only one very loud speed which ran continuously when you had the heat on.

Upon checkout, we discovered a $2.50 misc. charge which was explained as a safety deposit box charge - which we didn't use. We made them reverse the charge, but other guests catching the same shuttle commented on the same charge appearing on their bill.

What I wanted was an inexpensive place to grab some sleep on a layover. Between the shuttle hassle, cold and the heating unit noise, I would have been better to sleep in the airport.

Pick another hotel.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)