“Just Terrible!!!”

Ranked #91 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Kelowna
“Just Terrible!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

Huge mistake trying to stay here! We originally booked for four nights, but we ended up only staying for two because we couldn't handle it any more.

First of all, they couldn't find any card keys that would work for us. In the end, we had temporary card keys made for us that we had to change the next morning. However, the worst aspect of this hotel was the smoking that was going on EVERYWHERE. I guess non-smoking room means hang out of the door and blow the smoke into your neighbour's face. Actually, when I was trying to deal with the card key issue, another person staying in the hotel asked to be moved away from the smokers. The fellow at the front desk couldn't move the guest, but offered to ask the smokers to stop. The guest declined the offer because she was afraid of the people smoking.

Anyway, the non-smoking room we had smelled of smoke that was leaking in through the overhead vents and through the air conditioner.

Also, the breakfast is nothing to speak of. It would be better if they didn't even offer it.

Finally, there were many noisy guests at this hotel as well . . . honking horns, yelling from balconies.

My recommendation . . . spend a bit more money and stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Only go here if you love smoking
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Kelowna T
, General Manager at Super 8 Village Calgary AB, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
Dear Kelowna T,

First, we would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at the Super 8 Motel Village in Calgary.

We feel sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at our property and we sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experience on your stay. We at the Super 8 Motel Village strive to provide the best possible service to all of our guests and we try to accomodate special requests as much as we can. However, for that specific case that you have mentioned, the request to be moved happened on a night when the hotel was full and we have nowhere else to move the guest so the best possible solution we could provide is to ask our smoking guests to refrain from smoking by the corridors in respect to our non-smoking guests. About the keycards, we have changed all the old cards to eliminate the occurence of keycard malfunction.

Our complimentary breakfast which runs from 6:30 to 9:30 in the morning is consists of the basic stuff you need for a continental breakfast: three choices of cereals, oatmeal, muffins, danish, toast, butter and jams, hard boiled eggs, fruits, coffee, milk, tea, and juice.

With regards to the noisy guests, we are sorry that we were unable to immediately correct the situation. It is understandable that you were unhappy with this situation and we sincerely apologize.

Again we thank you for sharing your concern and we hope that we can again serve you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Alberta, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2012

Rooms are large mine had a kitchenette but there are quite few things that need to be updated or upgraded.
Both my card keys didnot work so I had to go back to reception and of the 2 new cards I got only 1 card key worked! The bathroom door would not close and the tv was very old and TSN had a snowy picture.
However the room was very clean the staff very friendly. I only booked 6 days inadvance but the price of $119 was a little high, I would go back to the Travelodge before I returned here because the price is under $100 and although the rooms are a little smaller everything worked and didn't need upgrading

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Mitchrj1
super8calgaryvillage, General Manager at Super 8 Village Calgary AB, responded to this review, June 16, 2012
Dear Robert M,

We would like to thank you for taking time to write a review about us and for noticing the large size of our motel rooms.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experience with the faulty keycards. We will be removing all the old key cards from the inventory and replace it with new ones to avoid this incident from happening again. Thank you for alerting us about the bathroom door on that kitchenette room which you've stayed in, our maintainance guy have it fixed already. Fortunately, the motel is in the process of being refurbished and the old TV you described will soon be obsolete.

Again, thank you for writing, as it is by your comments that we can continue to improve our service for our guests. We are truly sorry for the inconvenience and we look forward to you staying with us again.
Alberta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

You should be getting a cheap rate when you stay here. This is not a classy place, and there are lots of sketchy people just hanging around the parking lot. If you are there for a pit stop with like 15 of your buddies, this is perfect! Every hotel meets a certain need. You need to be in a bad way to want to stay here a long time. It is just plain old with worn out rooms - the price reflects this condition. Be happy there is a place like this for times in need, but look elsewhere if you can afford it.

Room Tip: ask for one with new paint
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
8 Thank travelleteacher
Dear travelleteacher,

We would like to thank you for your recent stay at the Super 8 Motel Village Calgary.

We thank you for taking time to write a review about us. Reviews like this are very helpful to us and help us look at our performance. We feel sorry to know that you did not like our property. The Super 8 Motel Village in Calgary credit its success in the lodging industry to providing good service and accommodations at affordable prices. Currently, we are on a slow process of renovation and we have recently installed new wallpapers, furniture and floor carpets in all the motel rooms. With regards to safety, the motel village is a safe and secured place and there is security that patrols the whole village 24/7 to secure safety of the motel village guests.

Again we thank you and we hope that we can again serve you in the future.
Yellowknife, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012

This is a cheap motel, but it is clean and quiet. The fridge in the room was broken and the office staff replaced it right away. The room is a bit dank if you don't leave the A/C fan on while you're away. And a note about the A/C: only the units on the north side (south-facing) have A/C. The south side units only get windows that open.

The complimentary breakfast was pretty sparse, and the coffee was very very weak.

I would stay here again if I was looking to travel on a budget in Calgary.

Room Tip: If you want air conditioner, choose the units on the north side (south-facing.) And the complimentar...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Anson C
super8calgaryvillage, General Manager at Super 8 Village Calgary AB, responded to this review, June 9, 2012
Dear ansonchappell,

We appreciate your business and thank you for taking time to let us know where improvement is needed so that we may continue to maintain the Super 8 standards.

With regards to the A/C, all of the motel rooms have A/C units except that those A/Cs on the south side are installed in such a way that you would not notice them at first glance. We are also working on our breakfast to accommodate the different tastes of our guests and we thank you for bringing the coffee matter to our attention.

Thank you and we hope to see you again on your next visit to Calgary.
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

I stayed here twice for a total of 12 days. I had family members at a hospital in the vicintiy. My first stay was Easter 2012 weekend. I arraived late at night, and waited to check in. The fellow in front was complaining about the state of the room and generally not satisfied. With trepadation I checked in; At this stage all I wanted to do was sleep. Alex was professional and polite. Check in was easy. I went back to my car and proceeded to park. Alex came running out, advised had given wrong room number. I went to the correct room, and was pleasantly surprised. The room was very clean, smelled fresh. It fit my needs perfectly. I stayed through the weekend. I had no issues with noise, felt totally secure and was welcomed by staff.
I came back the following weekend and stayed for the week. I brought my dog with me on this occasion. We stayed on the main floor. Again I was warmly checked in by Matt, and given my key. The room was very clean, and totally met my expecataions. Charley, not so much. Overall it was quiet, easy access. I was overwhelmed by housekeeping and the front desk staff by this experinece: I was walking to the hospital, about halfway there I received a call stating that my dog had opened the door and escaped. Last thing I needed. I ran back and found him safe and sound in the room, but he had escaped and been caught by housekeeping four times in a 15 minute span. Needless to say I was overwhelmed and grafeful. The only thing that was said was that they are all care about their pets, and could understand. Apparently this was a first. And even though i had signed an agreement stating my pet would not be left alone, they were more concerned about his well being and safety.
The only downside was minor, internet access was sporadic and tended to drop. Othewise I highly recommend this hotel. A clean basic hotel was friendly and accomdating staff. What more can you ask for.
Thank you Super 8 Village Calgary for your kindness and understanding.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Roger_Jehle
super8calgaryvillage, General Manager at Super 8 Village Calgary AB, responded to this review, May 24, 2012
Dear Roger_Jehle,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience on your recent stay at the Super 8 Motel Village -Calgary.

We are very pleased to know that we have met your expectations. Our number one goal at the Super 8 is to maintain super cleanliness and convenience, and provide super service to our guests.

With regards to the internet connection, we are currently upgrading our computer network to speed up connection and improve the web experience of our guests.

Again, thank you for your inputs and we hope to see you again on your next visit to Calgary.
Calgary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2012

I have stayed a few times over the years, even when it was known by another name. It is dated and basic. But it is all you really need when you have all things around you. Great location. Close to many restaurants, McMahon Stadium, the LRT and buses. Never have a problem getting a cab here. This place is clean and the staff friendly. It is priced right and the pool is more than sufficient. It is amazingly quiet considering where it is located. Good parking. GIve it a try you will like it. Not much difference between rooms. All good as far as I can tell.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Icandyman
super8calgaryvillage, General Manager at Super 8 Village Calgary AB, responded to this review, April 27, 2012
Dear Icandyman,

Please accept our most sincere thanks for your recent review regarding your pleasant experience with our hotel.

We are most grateful for your continued patronage and we will do our very best to continue to meet your expectations.

See you next time.
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2012

My husband and I have been working together in the seismic industry for over three years. We have researched many motels and know from experience that the Super 8 Village with their management and staff are the best Calgary has to offer. Pareen and all staff have made us feel at home on every visit. A very special thank-you to each and everyone!
Tim and Cherie

Room Tip: Rooms are available for smoking and non-smoking as well as pet friendly
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Cherie T
super8calgaryvillage, General Manager at Super 8 Village Calgary AB, responded to this review, March 18, 2012
Dear Ms Cherie T,

The Super 8 Village Calgary Management and staff want to say Thank you for your kind remarks.

We are always pleased to hear from our guests, especially when we have succeeded in making their experience a pleasant one. It is our goal to give our guests the best possible service. Our employees are our most valuable asset and we are proud of their accomplishments. We are particularly pleased when they succeed in making a valued guest, such as yourself, feel welcome.

We hope to have the pleasure of doing business with you for many years to come.