“Hotel Hell”

Ramada Limited Calgary Northwest
Ranked #97 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed August 20, 2007

We were so deceived by the website photos. We thought we found a reasonably priced, clean hotel. We should have known what we were getting into when we arrived and the sign was offering "Beds for Sale". There were mattresses propped up in the hallways and our non-smoking room was peppered with cigarette burns. The TV did not work and neither did some of the lights. The neighbours partied loudly in their room and on their deck from 5 to 7 AM. When we tried to call the front desk to complain, we discovered that our phone was only cosmetic and not operational. By far this was one of the worst places I have ever stayed. Needless to say, we checked out early.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank random_canadian

Reviewed July 8, 2007

Four of my friends and I ended up staying one night here (during the Calgary Stampede) and i will never consider staying here again. Unfortunately this was one of the only places left with vacancy as the Stampede is probably the busiest time of the year for tourists to the city.

Here are a bunch of random things I can mention: The lights that were supposed to illuminate the outside hallways were turned off and it was the evening. The inital whiff of smell coming from the room once we opened the door was pretty bad- it was musty and reeked like cigarettes- in fact, upon awakening, I felt like I was sick- my head was congested and I swear I had a sore throat coming on as well- which ultimately didn't come on. There was A/C but it was loud and on a couple occasions I heard something fall from it- almost like ice (which i'm pretty sure it wasn't) but the room was too hot and smelly without the a/c so i decided to open the window instead- there are no screens so needless to say we had a family of mosquitos in our room in no time. I never took my shoes off other than climbing into bed- which by the way had stains on the sheets. The bathtub floor looked dirty (it was brown) and stained so needless to say i kept my flip flops on. There was no radio or alarm clock in the room so we had to rely on cell phones to check the time. Nor was there a fridge, hair dryer, or iron.

One night cost $200- expensive due to the Stampede.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
4  Thank honeydrop
Reviewed March 7, 2007

I stayed at the Ramada Limited in Calgary for one week in February 2007, from the 19th to the 26th, and it was a positive surprise. Having read a number of sub-standard review of the place ("worst place I ever stayed at", and stuff like that), I did not expect much. But what I experienced was quite frankly an average experience for a reasonable price. It is true that the place seems to have had its best days and that it could need some brushing up. However, the service was ok and the bed was good, so all in all I was quite satisfied.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed December 7, 2006

Unbelieveable. When we arrived, the hotel was not busy at all (it was 12:30 at night), and when I tried to ask the front desk agent a few questions, he was extremely rude. When we got to our room, it looked as though someone had tried to break in with a crowbar, and the lock was broken. When we asked for a new room, we got an even worse attitude. We then proceeded to our new room where the heating did not work. We could actually hear the guy next to us sneezing through the night. I would pay twice as much to stay at the hotel next door, because I have never stayed in such a poorly cared for hotel in my life.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank nicole_2525
Reviewed November 5, 2006

This was our first hotel stay during a week long visit to Alberta. It was very disappointing. When we arrived there was a car full of young people who appeared to be doing something illegal and made us feel somewhat unsafe. In the evening there were young people in the parking lot (our room overlooked the parking lot, unfortunately) making lots of noise and skateboarding. The room seemed clean but was obviously very old and musty. My partner wanted to leave but we had pre-paid through Hotels.com. Since we weren't spending alot of time in the room it was somewhat ok to lay our heads but I would certainly recommend that you find another hotel rather than this one. It takes alot to make me complain about something but this did it.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Acadia80
Reviewed June 10, 2006

We recebtly spend two nights at the Ramada Ltd., in the motel village area of NW Calgary. I was very disappointed in the hotel. The rooms were very run down and neglected. The staff was ok. The free breakfast is very limited and the breakfast area is very, very small. The tile floor under the breakfast counter was black from lack of cleaning when the rest of the tile on the floor was cream. We were looking for a cheap place to stay for 2 nights that was close to the U of C. While it was cheap in comparison to others, we got what we paid for. We'll definatley pay a little more for something better next time we're back.

1  Thank KimmyWinnipeg_Canada
Reviewed June 3, 2006

Stayed in this hotel in October 2005 for a one night stay as was in Calgary on business and the location was extremely close to where I needed to go for a conference.
I had booked the room on line and upon arrival at the hotel was treated well by the hotel staff. Although I had prepaid for the room via credit card online, I was asked to provide a copy of the credit card with the explanation that this would only be used in the case where I had additional charges applied to the room (ie; phone calls).
The room itself had a king bed, television, coffee maker, table and chairs. I had also booked a smoking room, which is what I had received, so was fine. Upon arrival, the room was perfectly clean and smelled as such. There was no garbage or "remains" from previous guests, and the supplies were adequately stocked.
I will agree that the hotel has seen better days; the room is that of a very "average" room, the bedding is older, the carpets are older, and the overall appearance is that of "older".
I will say that I did NOT see or hear any bugs, did not get any bites of any kind, and my bedding on the bed was again, average but intact with no holes or worn areas.
The area itself is pretty good if you need to be near the hospital, the stadium, or the university, and the rail transit is a quick walk down the street.
My biggest complaint was this. After checking out and returning home, I was checking my credit card info and hugely annoyed about a $400 + charge placed on my card by the hotel-over and above the charge for the room. I immediately called the hotel and spoke with the night clerk there who after numerous checks and several calls back and forth, advised that the staff who checked me in put the charge on as a "deposit". The staff I spoke with was very apologetic and indicated that this was over and above the amount usually placed on a card for deposit-which he indicated is usually $50. He also assured me that the charge would have been released upon my checking out.....it was not. After all was said and done, it took almost a week for the charge to be credited to my card.
Despite that, if I needed a quick overnight stay in this area again, I would probably use the hotel again, however, for a longer period, there are a few hotels in the area that are more upscale if you are looking, including the Holiday Inn and Hampton Inn down the street.

• Stayed: October 2005, traveled on business