Ramada Limited Calgary Northwest
Hotel Elan
  • Breakfast included
$116
$89
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed August 21, 2008

My car developed problems in Canmore AB. The closest authorized dealer certified to work on my vehicle under warranty was in Calgary, (wrong direction as I'm from the BC coast) so I got a tow back here. I put my two teenagers on a greyhound bus back to BC, for which I am now very grateful.
I came to Motel Row I believe it is called, not knowing this town or the area at all and the Ramada looked okay from the front and even after I came in it looked passable, although it smelled of cigarette smoke. A shuttle service from the car dealership was dropping me off and was running short on time and I didn't want to keep him any longer, so I booked the room.
I am not a complainer and am extremely uncomfortable with criticizing others, but I actually went to the front desk and pointed out the first three problems I noted; the carpet was not vacuumed at all that I could tell, the bathroom floor had sandy dirt and bits not only in the corners, but all over, and the fridge was absolutely disgusting, not fresh dirt, but accumulated grime.
I went out for something to eat and while I was out I bought some household cleaning cloths and air freshener.
The room was so dirty I did not want to touch anything; the only things that looked relatively clean were the bathroom sink, toilet and tub. The light switches, door handles, table and counter tops, even the remote control was just sticky with grime. The carpets and walls were worn,damaged and filthy. I took a peek in the cupboards and was appalled.
There were blood stains, (I work in the health care field so I know) that showed up on the underside of the bedspreads and one of the blankets had cigarette burns in it. The box spring was visible once I removed the bedspread and it was frayed and ripped and liberally stained with I don't know what. I was too afraid to look under the mattress cover at the mattress because I still had to sleep on it. The sheets did look clean at least and I put sheets on the top and bottom of the cleanest looking blanket and hoped for the best. I could go on I'm sure but this is already long winded as it is.
I was quite thoroughly disgusted with this motel and would have left even after paying if my children had been with me. Don't stay here. Inexpensive should not equal filthy.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled solo
5  Thank onthesea
Reviewed May 28, 2008

Nice clean room, king bed had 6 pillows. Free continental breakfast in the morning was a little small but had apples, oranges, fresh waffles, and yogurt. Paid 95.00 for the king bed and the hotel next door was 120.00, this hotel was a very good value for the money paid

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed March 24, 2008

I have to say that when I am on vacation, my destination is not the hotel, but rather the town/city I came to visit. I need a clean room, clean beds and a clean washroom.
Grad week was on when I was there and there were partiers in the building. I did not hear them at all. Also, the manager working was extremely helpful with directions, food, bars, entertainment, whatever we needed. I myself am a manager in the hospitality industry in Winnipeg. I understand the market that the hotel is geared towards and feel that it more than adequately fills that role. They did everything to make sure we had everything we needed, and thats all. People who go on vacation to have the hotel as their focus are missing out on living their vacation in the first place. Go, Stay. Sleep. Explore.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2008

We have lived overseas since 1986 and have stayed at some very basic accommodation in places like Tibet, Thailand, and a border town in Malaysia where we had to padlock ourselves in, yet never had we had anywhere such an unbelievable experience as we did in Calgary. It was Stampede Week and it seemed the entire city was booked. We felt lucky having found the Ramada Inn in Motel Village- it had a pool, nice location in the suburbs, and was only about $120/night. The morning after the first night I thought the reason I was itching was because the housekeepers must have left the windows open while they cleaned the day before, allowing mosquitoes to enter. I tried to find the mosquitoes in the morning, but there were none. I woke up the third day very early to notice an insect about the size of a small ladybug crawling slowly on the sheets just below my face. I caught it in the sheets and found it was full of blood. I wondered if it was a tick. I'd never seen anything like it. I then noticed on the sheets what had to have been old blood stains in small drip patterns, now of course wahed out, but indicative of a long-time infestation. I was able to catch several more bedbugs, in view of the motel manager. I had insisted that he come to the room to see what we were seeing. He consequently did get permission to 'comp' our stay. But it was already too late for me. The second night, the bedbugs must have swarmed me. One pinky finger had ten bites. I estimated I was covered in literally hundreds of bites that itched with a fireceness I can't hope anyone to understand. I bought and applied topical antihistimines, but they didn't help much. At one point I had the not-so irrational thought to put my feet in fire to get relief. It probably would have worked! But I did write a letter to the Calgary Board of Health as well as to Ramada Inn HQ, only to ask them in light of my extreme suffering to follow-up eradication measures the motel manager said he'd take. I asked Ramada HQ to write back and detail to me their next steps. They responded only by saying their obligation to us was fulfilled at the time they'd 'comped' our stay! As if I had written to get a voucher or something. As if we'd ever think of staying at Ramada again!

• Stayed: July 2005, traveled with family
18  Thank DanielBBudapest
Reviewed February 1, 2008

This was possibly the worst hotel, that I have ever stayed.

Rooms , was dirty, carpet filthy, smelled of smoke, room was old and worn out and was badly in need of upgrading

cost was $111.00 for a single, note that I would not have
brought a wife into this motel.

Stayed: August 2006