“Very Disappointed - Didn't think Ramada would go so low”

Ramada Limited Calgary Northwest
Ranked #96 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We were having trouble finding a hotel close to the University as there was a special event going on that weekend in Calgary. In desperation we booked this Hotel??? Motel in spite of the reviews. We booked 5 nights through bookings.com and had to pay the full cost upfront which was not a problem.
When we arrived at the motel at about 8:30pm after flying in from Toronto we were told we would not get our room keys unless we paid $250 as a security deposit which was not mentioned anywhere in our confirmation. Then on our way to the room the hallways stank of Indian spices and cooking. We asked a staff member later about this and they told us that the owners were Indian and they had a lot of guests from that part of the world who brought hot plates and did their own cooking in their room. I thought that was a fire hazard!!! The room itself was basically ok. It was clean and had, what appeared to be, some newer furnishings although the bathroom had mold on the walls and ceiling. The breakfast they advertise as included in the extortionate room rate was basically some cereal, toast and muffins. Although the Waffles which you made yourself were good. Over the 5 days they ran out of basically everything at one time or another. Staff indicated they could not do anything about it as the owner would not order any more. I will seriously have to consider if I will ever stay at a Ramada again after this experience. Suggestion - take pictures of the room condition when you arrive and, with a staff member present, at the time you leave otherwise you leave yourself open to be charged for damages. Needless to say we would never stay here again and are very surprised that Ramada would allow their name to be associated with such a poor establishment.

Room Tip: Don't stay there
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank chance111

Reviewed May 27, 2013

This hotel is part of a bunch of hotels known as Motel Village" some distance out of the Calgary city center, close to the stadium and university. It was not my choice to stay here, as part of a business trip. Staff overall were courteous and helpful. The hotel has seen better days - overall the room (in the building at the back of the hotel on the upper floor) was shabby, badly in need of deep cleaning; entrance hall and stairs in this building seemed constantly dirty and with stains on carpet. smell of smoke in corridors even though there were "no smoking" signs. The fan in the bathroom was very noisy and looked as if it was about to fall out. Internet was free and stable - one redeeming feature. Breakfast was the usual muffins, bagels, and breads for toasting; some fruit sometimes was available, although it seemed a hit and miss affair. The are some average food outlets around - 10 minute walk. There is a train / tram stop very close (100 metres away) - very easy and convenient access to downtown Calgary.

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank WorldTraveller08901
Reviewed May 12, 2013

After a long road trip with my girlfriend we stop in calgary hoping to get a good nights sleep for one last night on our way home. We had previously stayed at a ramada in montana. This one came no where close to the same standards. DO NOT GO HERE! The floors had all kinds of stains and chunks of qho knows what stuck on it. Everything was filthy. When we decided we had seen enough we asked for our money back they wanted to see the room. Fine. We show them. At this point we may get our money back but we decide to leave anyway. My girlfriend has one last look around while i find somewhere else to stay. She found two dirty diapers under the bed. Writing this from the very near by super 8.

• Stayed: May 2013
6  Thank davestraves
Reviewed May 6, 2013

The staff were pleasant, but it seemed like this is the most run down place I've ever stayed in. Everything in the room was either broken or not clean. We had to ask for clean towels when the maid took the dirty ones away. We stayed for 5 nights and the sheets were not changed once. The bathroom wasn't touched. The only thing the maid did was make the bed and take out the garbage. The tv remote had tape keeping the batteries in. The hair dryer was broken. Some lights were burnt out. The security lock on the door was broken. The only reason we stayed was because we were having a package fed-exed to us. The toaster in the breakfast "lounge" was broken. Brutal.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Brooklyn L
Reviewed April 28, 2013

The bathroom was dirty. The rugs were not vacuumed or clean. I did not use the coffee maker and always wore socks around the room after seeing the standard of cleaning that was taken with the obvious areas of the room. We were charged $200 as it was late and Calgary was very busy that night. We tried to go somewhere else but there was nothing available. I should have slept in my car instead of spending a night here.

Room Tip: I had no desire to visit he pool or hot tub after experiencing the terrible condition of the room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Jack154921
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Well, at first I thought it would be all that bad....I read the reviews and thought well I guess we will find out for our selves!! And we did!! First off the staff that greeted us were super friendly so that was a good start. When arriving first thought that entered my mind was, old & out dated, my husband said.."this place is a dive"....but like one view had commented, finding a cheap hotel in Calgary is a "challenge"....It is in deed not the cleanest place we've stayed, although I will be fare and say we HAVE stayed in worse!! There was a "stale" smell to the entire place, and the carpets in the main lobby and leading up the stairs to our room were very dirty, looked like they had not been vacuumed in a very long time. The place definately needs a face lift with some new paint, new carpets and so on. Our room was actually "clean" as that was the first thing I checked for. The only thing that bothered me is the cigaret burn in the top comforter, so ya they need to replace those old blankets, seeing how this is a "non-smoking" facility!! The security latch on our door was busted, so that was a wee bit unsettling and I wasn't too pleased with the door that went out to the so called balcony either as the next few rooms had access as well. Bed was okay comfortable but the room was so uncomfortably hot that we barely slept. We would have keep the door to the balcony open had it been cut off from the rest of them but we couldn't!! And as for the breakfast that is served, the only thing I can say is that the waffles were okay....coffee was terrible, but honestly it was not worth the prep time it took to set this up, we ended up going to Tim Horton's for breakfast in the end!! So if you are looking for cheap this is the place for you!

Room Tip: When booking ANY hotel/motel...check out the reviews first...oh and I forgot to mention that this mo...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kara A
Reviewed April 13, 2013

So I have spend much time at this ramada and sunk over 5g into this hotel. Here's my review from the last two weeks of my stay: the rooms, definitely old. A lot of the plugs in the wall do not have covers even shocked myself, black mold in room 105 behind toilet even after complaining. Beds old and sunk in. Stained with tobacco on walls lamps exc. housekeeping doesn't even vaccuum rooms! House keepers have ignored my DND sign and walked in five times on me named or sleeping. I seen a broken glass in the hall for thre days, I found a dirty needle in my room, ill attach a photo even. People smoking dope in the building staff doesn't even do anything about this. So after numerous problems I got two nights free. They won't even refund me money for a safe I paid for that doesn't even work. Oh and these people didn't even offer me a new room when I found this dirty needle in my room, didn't even offer to refund me the night so I could go elsewhere!!!!!!! I got twenty dollars off DISGUSTING!!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2013