“A Good Surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Calaway Park

Calaway Park
Ranked #22 of 294 things to do in Calgary
More attraction details
Owner description: An Old West Theme park.
edmonton
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“A Good Surprise”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I do not like amusement parks. I worked at one in my youth and they are gross, full of surly staff and the patrons of amusement parks are not the sharpest sticks on the planet!! Well I was so pleasantly surprised by Calaway! Even though most of the the ridestaff were quite young they were friendly and professional, and eager to make the guests feel welcome and important. As a former amusement park ride operator myself I liked that they adhered to height restrictions, watched their rides when in motion, and had a good grasp on safety rules.
The rides did not look run down and were cheerfully painted! The park itself was very family oriented and not so much like a teenage meet market as other amusement parks are. I liked the large variety of rides my children (ages 4 and 8) could ride on. Even the little one had about 15 rides for her size!!
I also liked that the pricing was so reasonable. Park entry was fair and the little extras such as mini golf and the shooting range were only a few extra bucks.
The food was. . .OK. . .amusement park food. Burgers, fries, chicken strips etc.
I also was slightly disappointed by the train. It drives you around a field. I wish there was more to see on that train ride!
Overall great value for family fun! Far superior the rides of K days or the Stampede and at a better price! And the staff are so great!!!

2 Thank mrsspexx

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Horrible!”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

This place is a dump, they are over priced, rides are boring, and it obvious the staff hate their jobs, its old and run down, no curb appeal, the food is cold and gross, and OVER priced, never take your family here! The zoo and heritage park are by far better optioms

Visited August 2012
3 Thank Amilia39
Madison, South Dakota
200 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 318 helpful votes
“Nice-sized family park with fun rides”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

This park is not going to compete with the big "Six Flags" types of parks, but it has more than enough fun rides to keep the ~3-14 yr-old set happy. We were there in mid-week and it seemed as if virtually everyone at the park was with their family; it was a very pleasant atmosphere. We used the online special ticket price of ~$21/person which was a great value. One thing that surprised us compared to the US amusement parks we are accustomed to is that people were permitted to bring in coolers of food and drink which can help to keep the overall cost down considerably. We did purchase an online pizza special in addition to our tickets. It's worth noting that the park closes promptly at 7pm which is early by what we are used to. As for comments that the park needs a paint job; that is true of quite a few of the rides and buildings, but it does appear that money is being well-spent to keep the grounds clean. We were very impressed that the young people who ran the rides very very strict with respect to enforcing ride-height restrictions; it showed they were well trained.

2 Thank docj9000
Edmonton, Canada
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“As long as you don't eat there, it was a wonderful experience for the whole family”
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

We purchased season tickets for just a little more than the price of one admission before the park opened for the season, and recommend to do that as its a great value. We enjoyed a full week at the park. My children are 3 & 4 and they had I think 21 and 27 rides available respectively for their size. I don't think we could take in every ride in one day if we tried. Most of the parks attendant seem to really love their jobs which really makes it so much more fun for the kids. We loved the performance shows they had at the outdoor theatre, including an illusionist show, fairy show & a show featuring Jack & Jill bunnies. My 4 year olds highlight of the week was when she was called up onto the stage to play a one-eyed purple people eater. I loved how there were many washrooms available that we're relatively clean so we didn't have to leave whatever area we were in to find a washroom for the kids. The only thing I didn't appreciate was the food. We tried almost every food outlet hoping that one of them might actually serve hot food without any luck. The worst was we went to Calaway Cafe expecting since it was a full facility building that maybe they would have hot food that didn't taste like cardboard but were poorly mistaken. My mother ordered an order of freshly cooked French fries, the employees seemed taken aback from the request, told her she'd have to wait, which she was anticipating, but after 15 Mom's when my mom went back up to see what's going on with the fries she was told they forgot and now had to wait again. I asked to speak with the manager which is apparently the "team leader". He seemed to be in a room oblivious to how disgusting the restaurant was, apologized but didn't offer any compensation. As I approached the condiment table one of the employees was organizing the ketchup packets meticulously in the container right in the middle of the table in my way. I said "excuse me" but he didn't attempt to move out of my way to allow me access. I've worked in the food industry all my life and wherever I've worked it's
been general common sense that organizing condiments is the job you do once everything else is done, making clean tables being a priority. Apparently we don't share this belief because we had to ask to get a cloth to clean our table since every table in the place was disgusting. I would not go back to that cafe if I was paid to. The next day we tried the burger hut hoping that would be a better experience. I waited 45 mins for an order of chicken fingers and a hamburger, and everything was cold. The wait wasn't because of the amount of people in line it was because all of the workers walked around at a snails pace, with not enough staff to accommodate a lunch rush. I waited in front of the till ready to order with no employee there to take my order for over 10 mins. And we spent over $20 for the garbage they served us.
I would love to take my kids back to the park as it seemed very family orientated and my kids enjoyed it very much. I just would NEVER attempt to buy what they call 'food' if I was to go back.

1 Thank Jewlesmiller
Calgary
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Getting Run down”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We were there this weekend first time in 2 years.. We had a great time for our Grand daughters Birthday. We expected a long line for the log ride but we had fun anyway....while waiting we had time to really look around...the park is pretty run down...lots of peeling paint and worn out paint grounds need mowing and trimming ..it looks as though it hasn't been done well for some time. I mention these things because I think that this park represents Calgary to families who visit it it...they will have fun ,but it should be fresh and clean and tidy.We are a big wealthy city and the park should reflect this..Just my opinion

2 Thank Buzzycalgary