“Too yummy for words!”

Charcut Roast House
Reserve with OpenTable
Charcut Roast House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 3,529 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: American, Canadian, Contemporary
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 9th Avenue SW
Description: "Top Chef" season 1 finalist, Connie DeSousa Co-Chef / Owner of this new restaurant located in Downtown Calgary. Featuring urban-rustic cuisine with a custom-built rotisserie and charbroiler, vintage-style slicer and hand-crafted charcuterie eating bar. A contemporary and inviting gathering place, CHARCUT combines local chef-driven cuisine with Italian and Country French accents. Ingredients are sourced from small, local artisan farmers and ranchers, with herbs harvested daily from its own garden, minimizing the miles food travels. Open late night with a full menu.
Calgary, Canada
“Too yummy for words!”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

It was our 6th anniversary celebration and we wanted something special with food to remember. We got it at Charcut! :)
Reserving at Charcut is incredibly easy with opentable. I made the first reservation with the click of a button, but we couldn't get there that early so I had to change it the day before the reservation with no issues. I just found my confirmation email and changed the time to another available. So easy!!
When we arrived we were seated right away at one of the few booths (I had requested a booth and they delivered). I could see the fresh herbs growing in the kitchen and the cured meat hanging in the curer from where I was sitting. They do so many things themselves there and you can taste the freshness. As soon as we were seated, they started us off with a complimentary amuse bouche of pork rillette on a brioche crustini. Then they gave us a complimentary champagne. I should have put on the reservation that I was pregnant... Unfortunately I had to decline the champagne, but they were so great and made me a special virgin drink! :)
They change the menu daily, so we examined the menu for a little while and then decided on the pretzel with cheese dip for the hubby and the summer melon and cucumber salad for me to start. I had always wanted to try a melon and cucumber salad after seeing it on Food Network so many times. It was as good as I was expecting! Yummy yummy! The balsamic reduction along with the seasoning on the fruit and veggies was just divine! My husband ordered the quarter chicken and the smashed potatoes loaded with sour cream and pancetta. He was in love! I ordered the whole fish and the spicy zucchini with pumpkin seeds. Neither of us finished it. I guess the starters really filled us up. We should have shared! I am a veggie person and my husband is not, so we don't tend to order the same things. I would suggest ordering things to share here if you can. The sides are separate from the entree and big enough to share between 2-4 people. I had one piece of zucchini and took the rest home. The fish was so fabulous! The broth was like a flavour explosion in my mouth! The acid from the roasted potatoes along with the fat from the fish (really can't remember what the fish was, it was a very small white fish with the texture in between bass and halibut) and the sweetness of whatever else they put in there made me have a foodgasm! Oh my goodness was this ever good! The fennel and apple salad on my husband's plate was really quite excellent as well! :p

The service was fabulous! We had the manager come around quite a few times to check on us in a really chilled laid back way. I don't like it when they come and really expect to hear your life story. He was so chill and let us be while helping his servers with the task of bringing my husband another wine. At least the hubby could drink! haha... All of the other servers and food runners were exceptional as well.
We loved the atmosphere. Some said it wasn't romantic in reviews... Well, I guess they weren't playing jazz or classical music, so perhaps not by some standards it wasn't? We thought it was just fine. The lighting was great and we loved the decor.

My favourite meal used to be at the River Cafe, but now I would say it has to be Charcut. :)

• Korean first
Toronto, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Birthday Dinner”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Service was excellent, everyone knew their menu and didn't hesitate to tell us how it was prepared. Great appetizers and entrees.

Visited August 2013
Kitchener, Canada
“Odd result”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We had one the strangest experiences we have ever had. Every single item we ordered was delicious but after the meal was over we all agreed that in total, the meal was just average. The whole was less than the sum of its parts. The reason, it was too much of the same. Every dish was full of flavour but many were quite rich. We desperately wanted relief from from the flavour of animal fat. Maybe we ordered wrong but the menu we had to choose from had very few options for such relief. We all love meat but we like other things too. Unfortunately, every dish came with animal fat.

The service was quite good and overall we were glad we went but at almost $100 per person, there are just too many other options for us to want to return.

I do think 3 stars are too few but 3-1/2 was not an option. The food is delicious but too one-note to get more than 3 stars.

“Outstanding”
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Amazing down-to-earth food in a great modern environment. Very unpretentious and realistic. Love this place !

Lincoln, Nebraska
“I Love it When This Happens!”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I love it when this happens!

We walked in blind to Charcut Roast House in Calgary. The concierge at our hotel recommended it to us. We didn't know we were in for a unique treat for our 17th anniversary....

We ended up eating at the bar by the kitchen. We didn't have reservations, so we thought we were sitting in a bad spot...WRONG! We had so much fun watching the chef (John) and his Sous Chef cook our meal. They were working hard, but took time to get to know us. The service was 5 star.

We ordered the prime rib because my husband loves it. It was the most amazing prime we've ever had and that counts a lot coming from a Nebraskan. Come to find out, the Albertan people are just as proud of their beef as Nebraskans! It was succulent. The beef and all the other meats are butchered, smoked and cooked right on the premises. It can't get much fresher than that! If I could go back, I'd order the board that comes out with about 4 or 5 of their sausages.

The sides were delectable. Afterwards, we wish we would've ordered the poutine, but we didn't know what it was. Everyone in Canada raves about it. This was special, though, because it was fried in duck fat (?!!!). It's fries, covered in gravy with a cheese curd. YUM!

The huge surprise was the dessert! We had mentioned our anniversary and had been watching them being assembled all evening. We ordered the strawberry shortcake...which is an understatement, by the way. When our dessert came there were 3 DESSERTS!!! It was NIRVANA, especially to my husband's sweet tooth. There was the shortcake, a caramel-dark chocolate parfait and 2 to die for chocolate chip cookies.

Not knowing this restaurant has been rated one of the top 10 in Canada and that one of the chefs-Connie DeSousa- was runner up on Top Chef Canada on the Food Network made this experience extremely memorable. I promised Chef John and Chef Connie we'd send them a ceramic pig from Nebraska to add to their collection (It's on the way soon but I have to find exactly the right one).

1 Thank TheStarksinNE