“I Love it When This Happens!”

Charcut Roast House
Reserve with OpenTable
Charcut Roast House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 3,512 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: American, Canadian, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 9th Avenue SW
Description: "Top Chef" season 1 finalist, Connie DeSousa Co-Chef / Owner of this new restaurant located in Downtown Calgary. Featuring urban-rustic cuisine with a custom-built rotisserie and charbroiler, vintage-style slicer and hand-crafted charcuterie eating bar. A contemporary and inviting gathering place, CHARCUT combines local chef-driven cuisine with Italian and Country French accents. Ingredients are sourced from small, local artisan farmers and ranchers, with herbs harvested daily from its own garden, minimizing the miles food travels. Open late night with a full menu.
Lincoln, Nebraska
“I Love it When This Happens!”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I love it when this happens!

We walked in blind to Charcut Roast House in Calgary. The concierge at our hotel recommended it to us. We didn't know we were in for a unique treat for our 17th anniversary....

We ended up eating at the bar by the kitchen. We didn't have reservations, so we thought we were sitting in a bad spot...WRONG! We had so much fun watching the chef (John) and his Sous Chef cook our meal. They were working hard, but took time to get to know us. The service was 5 star.

We ordered the prime rib because my husband loves it. It was the most amazing prime we've ever had and that counts a lot coming from a Nebraskan. Come to find out, the Albertan people are just as proud of their beef as Nebraskans! It was succulent. The beef and all the other meats are butchered, smoked and cooked right on the premises. It can't get much fresher than that! If I could go back, I'd order the board that comes out with about 4 or 5 of their sausages.

The sides were delectable. Afterwards, we wish we would've ordered the poutine, but we didn't know what it was. Everyone in Canada raves about it. This was special, though, because it was fried in duck fat (?!!!). It's fries, covered in gravy with a cheese curd. YUM!

The huge surprise was the dessert! We had mentioned our anniversary and had been watching them being assembled all evening. We ordered the strawberry shortcake...which is an understatement, by the way. When our dessert came there were 3 DESSERTS!!! It was NIRVANA, especially to my husband's sweet tooth. There was the shortcake, a caramel-dark chocolate parfait and 2 to die for chocolate chip cookies.

Not knowing this restaurant has been rated one of the top 10 in Canada and that one of the chefs-Connie DeSousa- was runner up on Top Chef Canada on the Food Network made this experience extremely memorable. I promised Chef John and Chef Connie we'd send them a ceramic pig from Nebraska to add to their collection (It's on the way soon but I have to find exactly the right one).

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank TheStarksinNE

• Korean first
Javea, Spain
“Steak ... and shared burgers!”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Loved it ... it was our last dinner in Canada before returning to Spain ... and it had come highly recommended by family in Regina. Even had our favourite new starter on it ... roasted beet root and goat cheese salad as well as the escargot in bone marrow!

Visited August 2013
Calgary
“Meat Lover's Dream”
Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

We took my mother-in-law for her birthday. The food was absolutely delicious. I had the smoked prime rib, which was not too smoky and allowed that lovely traditional flavor to shine through. A popular choice around us was the roast chicken which was absolutely succulent. The Whole Fish on the menu was a surprise in landlocked Calgary - I overhear several people asking if it came with the head and when they were told it does, no one went for it.
The sides were all scrumptious - we made sure the 5 of us each had something different for sharesies.
The service was perfectly knowledgeable and attentive.
The atmosphere was very businessman's dinner - not sure if I would go as a family again but for a date night it would be good. We will go back.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank AlyssaSaturley
Akron, Ohio
“Very good food, Perfect Service, First Class place”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I hosted a business dinner party of 24 here last month. The service was absolutely perfect. Our server, Christina - i believe her name was , absolutely perfect. I don't think any of the 24 people ever had an empty glass. Everything was timely, every dirty dish was quickly removed. Her personality, and presence was excellent. And I'll just say it - now only was she an excellent server, but she's absolutely stunning - like a supermodel. I only say that to reinforce, that this feels like a first class establishment. The people that work her look, and work the part. The food was very good. Everyone at the table seemed to enjoy all the courses. The large party manager, Donavan i think it was - very helpful with the planning and execution of such a large party - for not a very large venue. Great Job all around.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank RockyP95
Calgary, Canada
“Great food and service”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Definitely a "cut" above the rest, this is definitely not a chain restaurant experience. Relatively centrally located in downtown Calgary (we walked from the Sheraton Eau Claire), the staff are knowledgeable and genuine with the clientele. Everything we ordered was an excellent experience, from the house sausage to the prime rib, and the menu does change daily. We'll definitely be back!

Visited August 2013