“Big disappointment”

Charcut Roast House
Reserve with OpenTable
Charcut Roast House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 3,725 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 9th Avenue SW
Description: "Top Chef" season 1 finalist, Connie DeSousa Co-Chef / Owner of this new restaurant located in Downtown Calgary. Featuring urban-rustic cuisine with a custom-built rotisserie and charbroiler, vintage-style slicer and hand-crafted charcuterie eating bar. A contemporary and inviting gathering place, CHARCUT combines local chef-driven cuisine with Italian and Country French accents. Ingredients are sourced from small, local artisan farmers and ranchers, with herbs harvested daily from its own garden, minimizing the miles food travels. Open late night with a full menu.
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I had read a review of this restaurant and was looking forward to eating there when I went to Calgary on business.
It is a loud busy place with loud background music, sort of what you would expect at Earl's.
The server on taking our orders advised us that we would get our food in 12 minutes. This was suspicious. The food when it arrived was quite bland with very little spice or flavour. The half chicken we ordered was an adequate size; the "leg of lamb" consisted of appetizer sized slices of meat (for $29). It was citrus flavoured but otherwise quite bland.
In their defense the server did take the lamb off our bill when we complained.
They do have a carcuterie platter that might be good for a large group, but I don't think I'll be going back there.

1  Thank 612Brian612

Reviewed December 8, 2012

Dining in Charcut is always a treat. The changing menu always keeps us interested and their support for local farmers and suppliers are admirable - you taste it in the food they serve! In our last jaunt last October, we were given a complimentary appy (which was a great touch) and the food we had (I had lamb and hubby had steak) were great! Love, love, love the pumpkin brulee we had - which we thought we can't bring out but they made sure it will be 'safe to travel with' - so we're very happy! Thank you, Charcut for making our stay-cation memorable. ;)

1  Thank flowerdrumsong
Reviewed December 2, 2012

See and be seen.
Service is a bit rough.
They always seem to be training new staff and I always seem to get the new girl. Food is very good and interesting but often a bit salty for my palate. Must go new place in town. For now.

1  Thank PickyBrat
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I have heard many great reviews about Charcut and would vote their food truck, Alley Burger, as the best food truck in town. The Charcut board was almost enough for a meal for two and the crispy brussel sprouts are to die for. Anyone who complains about $50 per person for a meal obviously doesn't eat downtown in Calgary very often. You can go to the Keg or one of many other over rated restaurants and pay far more than $50 for way less in quantity and quality. The meats are all made and cut in house and Charcut is definitely worth a try. The Chef's bar is really fun to sit at too watching the cooks work their magic.

1  Thank CalgaryRed17
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Not too sure what the hype is really about. The only thing we truly loved was the duck confit poutine (a side dish, I might add)-->I thought they were famous for their meats?! We ordered one of each of the mains (fish (Arctic Char), butcher steak, Roasted Pork Belly, chicken, and a pasta dish) each costing 20-30 dollars each. Funny enough, the mains do not come with a side. You have to pay more to get the side depending on what it is, they range from $8-12 per side. Again, we ordered one each of the sides. Now you're lookin' at nearly 30-40 dollars per dish. The mains and sides were ok, not the most amazing I have ever had. We could have had better tasting chicken at regular places like Safeway's roasted chicken or Swiss Chalet. Serious!

The roasted pork belly tasted mighty familiar... and for those of you who have had Chinese Roasted pork, it tasted EXACTLY like it (except done a bit rarer). The same texture, the same spice mix and the way the skin looked. I can bet you that they walked down the street a few blocks to Chinatown and picked up a roasted pig from one of the Chinese BBQ places. Really, Charcut? Could you be a little more original? I'm shocked MacLean's lists it as one of the top 50 restaurants in Canada. Give me a break.

Oh, the Charcut Board which consisted of House-Made sausage and cured meats was ok but to me, definitely not worth the $36 for 5 morsels of meat.

After $500 later between the 8 of us including food, drinks and tip, I was so disappointed. Never again!

Stay away from this place, your money is better spent else where!

3  Thank cale_corn