“Rude staff”

Hilton Garden Inn Calgary Airport
Ranked #18 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Paid the high price expecting a nice, welcoming stay after a long and tiring drive from Banff. However, this lady on the check in counter behaved as if she has a problem with her job. Was curt, rude and mechanical. Ordered me to sign here, there and there... when I jokingly asked if she was not making me sign off all my property to break the ice... she was even more curt and rude in her response!

Then she gave me a room at the end of the corridor... far from the elevators.

I came back again and requested for a smoking room, if available, as I will have to otherwise travel all the way up and down for a smoke. As expected, I was curtly told that no smoking rooms were available.

I then requested her to please give me a room closer to the elevators if possible. Which was also refused.

Looking at her attitude, I then demanded to see the Duty Manager. To my surprise, SHE was the Duty Manager. Her nameplate said: Amanda (--), Duty Manager. She then handed me over to another Duty Manager, who was very co-operative and agreed to give me a room closer to the elevators.

And nobody came forward to help me carry my bags to my room.

And nobody returned a smile when I did come in and out after a smoke.

Worst, the room keys stopped working when I came back a couple of time... surprisingly?.... or was it all orchesrtered from the reception, I wonder!

Probably, the lady does not like her job... or maybe she's not used to dealing with people from other parts of the world who do not look like her. In any case, she did spoil my stay there so much so that I was scared that she might scratch my car while I am in my room. Yes, she was so aggressive!

Stay at your own risk at this hotel... I am a member of the Hilton Honours program and if I can be subjected to this kind of treatment, God help the rest of us!

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the elevators... and be mindful of the rude staff
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank naved22
There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Calgary Airport

Reviewed August 15, 2012

Everything about this hotel was perfect. Our pickup at airport was prompt and courteious.
Steven checked us in and did it very professionally. When assistance or questions asked they couldn't do enough for you.
Mike in the restaurant did more than serve. He was our informal tour guide. Thanks Hilton.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank mistergLongIsland
Reviewed August 12, 2012

My honey and I stayed here for the last weekend of the Stampede. It was a great hotel for us! I'm a hilton honors member and there were chocolate cowboy hats waiting in our room for us when we checked in. The room was great. The beds were excellent - very comfortable. Also we could see the Stampede's last night fireworks show from the hotel. We got a rental car so we didn't need to use the shuttle service so it was easy to get to the hotel for us.
The exercise room is small, but each piece of equipment has a TV on it. There were weights and one elliptical, and two treadmills. I also found the room to be very warm for an exercise room. It would have been nice to have a fan to at least move the air around.
The pool was nice, but while we were there - there were a bunch of kids being kids so it was kind of loud for my taste. But it's a family hotel so that's to be expected.
Our breakfast was good and complimentary with my hilton honors. We made sure we tipped the waiter each day for his great service. He brought a coffee pot to our table and served us our juice. We placed our orders and the food was good - just home style food. I'm sure there are much better restaurants but it's good for a free breakfast. Although my honey said the coffee was kind of weak. I don't drink coffee, but he's a coffee aficionado. His favorite coffee is Peet's Kona. So compared to that... their coffee wasn't great.
I think the hotel was a very good value for the price.

Room Tip: Our room faced the City and was great to be able to see the fireworks.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SharonT2011
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I was disappointed with this Garden Inn. First of all, although the area in which the "airport" hotels are located is generally charmless, this hotel stood apart from the others in its particularly cheerless setting on an industrial avenue close to nothing. You can't walk to get dinner here unless you like the supper options at Tim Horton's. My room was clean and adequate although the dial on my adjustible bed was broken, but the decor in the public spaces is pretty 1980s. The restaurant has the feel of a Denny's (hence my attempt to go elsewhere). The hotel's shuttle service is inconvenient: to get there you need to call from a phone at the terminal and then wait for the shuttle to arrive (which took over 30 minutes for me.) On the return, the shuttle leaves ever 45 minutes. The two shuttles nearest to my preferred arrival time were full, so a $30 taxi was my only option.
I am a Hilton Gold member, I have stayed at many many Hilton Garden Inns and if I were transiting through Calgary again I would stay with the competition.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Chula_Banana
Reviewed August 7, 2012

stayed here during a stopover in Calgary, our flight was early next morning so we wanted to be near the airport. The Hilton was 10 minutes away from the rental car drop of at the terminal next morning so very convenient.

Our room was lovely and had everything we needed. The hotel had a restaurant, which we didn't use but seemed decent as it was quite busy. It also had a gym, swimming pool and business centre. There were also a washing machine and tumble dryer for guests to use. As we were on a longer trip it was a great opportunity for us to get some washing done. It was 1.50 $ for a wash (took 30 minutes for the washing and another 30 minutes for the tumble dryer) and 1.50 $ for a dry, reception also sold washing detergent. Room had iron and ironing board and was very well isolated, could not hear any noice from the planes even it was so close to the airport. Would definitely stay there again if we had to catch a early morning flight !!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank blondieandginger43
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Ok, constructive criticism or truthful tell it like is experience?

I stayed for four days at this hotel during the last week of Calgary's famous Stampede. So I chose it because it was a Hilton that had a shuttle service. When I arrived late at night, I walked to the shuttle bus area to watch the HGI bus disappear just as I go there. No worries I ought, he'll be back in 20 minutes or so right? After 45 minutes of waiting, I thought I'd call the hotel. I tried twice and they never answered the phone.

So, Taxi to the HGI for the princely fee of $27 plus tip to find the HGI bus parked in front of the hotel. Wen I asked why they hadn't been around to the airport they said because no one called. Come on people. Really?

Ok so let's get beyond that. The rooms and public areas were fine. Average. So thats a relief right? Try getting breakfast. I waited 30 minutes for the coffee to arrive and finally got up and walked to the waiter and insisted he take my order. Wen my omelette came, it was wrong, but what are you going to do? Off day? By the way guess where the HGi shuttle bus is? Parked under the overhang where it was my whole stay. The drive read to keep the bus nice and dry so that when clients arrived by car they had to get wet - because the bus was garaged under the overhang. Wow! Really?

Well, it goes on and on with room service delivering cold fish and chips - actual ice people!

So service, Service, SERVICE! It's not here.

So, here's what I'd say. Avoid the place like the plague. I love the Hilton brand, I'm a diamond member. Stay somewhere else. Really!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Paul W
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We really like the Hilton Garden Inn brand and was not disappointed with this location in Calgary. The few glitches were interesting. We arrived about 12noon after 6+ hours of flying in hopes to get into our room early. At first the front desk could not find our reservation! Fortunately I had a hard copy, which they looked at and still could not find our confirmation. After a few minutes they were able to free up a room, but it was on the second floor, above the restaurant and next to the housekeeping break room so the hallway was noisy and filled with horrible cooking smells from the microwave used by the housekeepers. Some of the noise and smells were evident in our room. Fortunately most of this disappeared by the evening. The staff was kind and the breakfast very good.

Room Tip: Higher floor totally away from the housekeeping break room!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple