“Really?”

Hilton Garden Inn Calgary Airport
Ranked #18 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Ok, constructive criticism or truthful tell it like is experience?

I stayed for four days at this hotel during the last week of Calgary's famous Stampede. So I chose it because it was a Hilton that had a shuttle service. When I arrived late at night, I walked to the shuttle bus area to watch the HGI bus disappear just as I go there. No worries I ought, he'll be back in 20 minutes or so right? After 45 minutes of waiting, I thought I'd call the hotel. I tried twice and they never answered the phone.

So, Taxi to the HGI for the princely fee of $27 plus tip to find the HGI bus parked in front of the hotel. Wen I asked why they hadn't been around to the airport they said because no one called. Come on people. Really?

Ok so let's get beyond that. The rooms and public areas were fine. Average. So thats a relief right? Try getting breakfast. I waited 30 minutes for the coffee to arrive and finally got up and walked to the waiter and insisted he take my order. Wen my omelette came, it was wrong, but what are you going to do? Off day? By the way guess where the HGi shuttle bus is? Parked under the overhang where it was my whole stay. The drive read to keep the bus nice and dry so that when clients arrived by car they had to get wet - because the bus was garaged under the overhang. Wow! Really?

Well, it goes on and on with room service delivering cold fish and chips - actual ice people!

So service, Service, SERVICE! It's not here.

So, here's what I'd say. Avoid the place like the plague. I love the Hilton brand, I'm a diamond member. Stay somewhere else. Really!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Paul W
There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Calgary Airport

Reviewed July 15, 2012

We really like the Hilton Garden Inn brand and was not disappointed with this location in Calgary. The few glitches were interesting. We arrived about 12noon after 6+ hours of flying in hopes to get into our room early. At first the front desk could not find our reservation! Fortunately I had a hard copy, which they looked at and still could not find our confirmation. After a few minutes they were able to free up a room, but it was on the second floor, above the restaurant and next to the housekeeping break room so the hallway was noisy and filled with horrible cooking smells from the microwave used by the housekeepers. Some of the noise and smells were evident in our room. Fortunately most of this disappeared by the evening. The staff was kind and the breakfast very good.

Room Tip: Higher floor totally away from the housekeeping break room!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank travelagentnancy
Reviewed July 13, 2012

We went three nights here this July. Room was clean and well maintained. Did not care for the pillows , had I thought of it I would have requested down substitutes. Kids enjoyed the pool and always had it to themselves. We did find the restaurant a little lacking. It was a bit pricey for what you got. The menu we were given we're also smaller than those that were in the rooms, with and entire page of entrees missing.

I would not hesitate to stay here again, the coffee and tea in the lobby was great to grab as we went up or down...kids wished there would have been hot chocolate though. Wi-FI was very reliable.

Room Tip: Our view was of a parking lot out back, I would request a view from the front.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Magic07
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We arrived during the first day of the Stampede which was crazy. It look a long time for the shuttle to pick us up at the airport. However, hotel staff was so accommodating when we arrived and quick to answer any questions. The hotel was also crowded with two tour groups, but they hotel managed to service everyone's needs very well.

Room Tip: They are all good at Hilton Garden Inn's. Quiet and consistently good value.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Jersbikr
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Stayed two nights in this hotel. The hotel is smart and has a welcoming reception and bar area. All of the staff we dealt with were extremely friendly and helpful. As well as coffee making facilities in our room, there was coffee and hot water in flasks with a wide variety of teas available at all times, day or night just by the lift area - free for guests. I twice needed to ask for hot water refill and it was brought without delay. The breakfasts each day were terrific. A wide range of hot and cold, with a large variety of soft fruits. The beds were extremely comfortable and the rooms contained all you would want, as well as a safe. Wi fi was free in the hotel.
The only downside was that it was a bit off the beaten track, but public transport into Calgery was a bus and train ride away.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Denise1981
Reviewed June 26, 2012

I was here for two nights. The airport is very close to the hotel but, due to all the construction that is happening to the Calgary highways, it took about 20 minutes to get there from the airport. Just an FYI so you can plan accordingly.

The beds have dials on them so that you can control the firmness and softness of the mattress. I also loved the Bath and Body Works care products in the bathrooms.
There is a restaurant on site. I had dinner one night (Alberta steak) and it was fabulous. I also thought it was reasonably priced. Breakfast was included with our two-night stay. One day, items were constantly almost gone (including plates for the scrambled eggs, potatoes and ham) but I'm sure that had something to do with the boys' hockey team that was staying there. The next day, it was fine but I was still sad that ordering an omelet cost extra.

This hotel was very clean and the staff couldn't have been any more friendly. This was my very first time staying at a Hilton Garden Inn and, given the experience that I had at this one, I would definitely stay at this chain again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the front part of the hotel and then you can see the mountains!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank citygalSTL
Reviewed June 25, 2012

This was the beginning and ending of a canadian rocky tour. Because of weather, we were on the tarmac for 4 hours, then customs, then finally to hotel. You have to go outside of terminal and across the drive for post #10 for the phone to call for hotel. That was not explained clearly, but after that was found the shuttle came very quickly. Check in was quick and easy. Our dinner was very good. The hotel is very nice and clean. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Because the hotel is close to the airport, there is not anything within walking distance. But, you pick and choose.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple