“A great end to our trip”
Review of Along River Ridge

and 1 more site!
Along River Ridge
Ranked #6 of 58 Calgary B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 11, 2010

We stayed at Along River Ridge on the last night of our holiday before we flew back and we couldnt have asked for a better place to spend our last night.

There were so many facilties provided for us - a lounge area with books, films and games, a pool table, a kitchen stocked with all of different teas and coffees plus sweets and pretzels to nibble on, a beautiful garden overlooking the river with lots of places to sit and relax - more facilities than I've ever had in a B&B before. Plus extra nice touches like chocolates on the pillow, water in the bedrooms, a photo souvenir....the list goes on.

Breakfast was fantastic and made all the better by chatting to our host Merril, who couldnt have been any more friendly.

It was easy to find off Highway One on our way back from the Rockies and there was plenty of free parking. We caught the bus into downtown Calgary, the stop was just 5 minutes away and the journey to downtown was 15 minutes maximum. Much nicer staying here than staying downtown in my opinion.

I'd definitely recommend this as a place to stay in Calgary.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank caz726

Reviewed May 30, 2010

Along River Ridge is a Bed & Breakfast that was recommended to me by my grandparents. At first, I was a little skeptical on the whole idea since I have never actually stayed in one before; mainly I stay in hotel chains. When we entered the drive way it seemed as though the place was under going some kind of renovation, there were some boards that lay along the outside of the house and it didn’t really seem all that welcoming. When the door opened a very friendly man greeted us at the entrance. I was quite surprised at the amount of knick-knacks and décor, which filled the room. It felt like a home, even more importantly, you felt relaxed and at ease, A kind of relaxation that you feel when you are treated as a human being, rather than just a number.

After being shown my room on the top floor, a light smile etched across my face. My room had a small desk and a bench, which was right up against the window. The room also included a full functioning sink, toilet and shower. At first I expected that there wouldn’t be an Internet connection, but as I investigated the room further, there lay the name of their connection and a password in order to utilize it.
After a night sleep I woke up at 8:30 am (the time I had given the hosts for breakfast) and made my way to the tables. Not long after a hearty breakfast of eggs, toast, fruit and jams with fresh orange juice arrived, along with much needed coffee.

In conclusion all I can say is this place served good food, company and a memorable location. “Along River Ridge” may sound a little hokey at first, but until you take a look in the back yard and enjoy a late night tea in the gazebo, you just won’t understand the significance of its name.

• Stayed: May 2010
1  Thank James_Yas
Reviewed May 17, 2010

Delightful place to stay--much more than just a bedroom and breakfast. Has a commons area with fireplace, seating area, dining area, hot tub and kitchenette; can sit on the ridge overlooking the river in a number of chairs, tables or sun. GREAT stay!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ValLaHart
Reviewed February 19, 2010

For us it was ideal. We had total privacy with the equivalent of a suit complete with a jacuzzi and pool table. The rooms were clean and quite. The only down fall was space in the bathroom and that was a very minor inconvenience.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank btheozz
Reviewed January 21, 2010

We had a whole basement to ourselves including a spa and a pool table. A very clean place. No matter where you look, there will always be something new to notice in the decoration: a painting, a doll, a lamp, etc. Being located by a river makes it an ideal nature destination right in the city.

And what can I say about Merril and Diane? They are the most pleasant people you can meet. You will be greeted with a smile, served breakfast with a smile and having your questions answered with a smile. Breakfast will impress by it's originality, size and quality. They are warm, genuin people and their personalities makes you happy to be in their company. The place might not be located downtown but Merril was happy to give us a lift to the train station.

This is more than a usual bed & breakfast, the bed is comfortable and you get a private bathroom. If you chose not to go there, you will miss out on a great experience.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Remster6
Reviewed November 3, 2009

Great luck...coming across this B&B in Calgary. The location is very convenient (for me) for business meetings in the NW part of town. Aside from that, have to say that this is the best B&B I've stayed at....experience is about 20 across Canada.

Everyday is like Sunday...with tasty homemade meals..very comfortable room, bed and guest lounge. Merril and Diane are tremendous hosts and extend very warm hospitality to all their guests (those that were there when I was there) and sometimes grumpy business travelers (that'd be me).

The only downside to this B&B might be the location. It's in a lovely spot on the river in Bowness. Could be less than ideal locale if your travelling without a car as I was...did learn to use Calgary Transit...which was quite nice.

Highly recommend this B&B.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank AmbassadorSteve
Reviewed August 23, 2008

We stayed at Along River Ridge from 8th - 10th August this year. It was the start of our two week honeymoon touring Western Canada. Although our room was a little small, we could not fault this property. The breakfasts are wonderful and the location is idyllic. It was wonderful sitting out on the deck or in the garden , which overlooks the Bow River, after a long days sightseeing. Our hosts Merrill and Dianne couldn't be more helpful and we would not hesitate in recommending this B+B to our friends.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank hollysmith