“A Slice of quality”

Ranked #21 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Northern Ireland
“A Slice of quality”
Reviewed July 21, 2007

We seemed to stay in a very different hotel for two nights in early July than many of the posted reports suggest. We arrived by hire car, found parking and access to the hotel easy and were greeted by friendly helpful staff. Our room was excellent, spacious bright and clean, with the usual ensuite spotless. It was the week prior to the Stampeed and already the atmosphere was building in the town. We ate in the Oakroom at the hotel one evening and were pleased with both quality and price not to mention the ambience - Its hard to find quality surroundings in the Grab and Go culture of Canada but here it still survives and all for a price of £90prpn GBP

• Liked — The quiet ambience
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ballybrick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Canada
Reviewed July 16, 2007

Room was dated - needed new carpets, new furniture, new bathtub, new toilet.

Service? It was okay. But this hotel badly needs a revamp!

Avoid, no value for dollar at this hotel. Will not stay at this hotel again; will go back to my regular hotel (Hyatt).

• Disliked — dated rooms
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank rlrlrl
Prince Rupert, B.C.
Reviewed July 14, 2007

My husband and I have stayed at the Palliser many, many times. In fact we were just there at the end of February/07. At that time we have a very enjoyable stay. This time it was not good. I would have to agree with another review, the place is a dump. In all fairness we did not make our own arrangements this time as we were on a business conference. The rooms were booked for the Canada Japan Coal Conference by a committee in charge of accomodation. Our room was falling apart, literally, plaster missing and cracked around the tub, the shower curtain rod cracked, the line for drying some hand washing, FILTHY. The room although large was in need of an update. Since our conference was at the same time as the Calgary Stampede, the hotel was extremely busy. They did not have enough staff to handle all of the patrons. We could not get help with our bags upon check out so we managed in two trips by ourselves. When we first checked in I asked one of the Bellmen if he ever read reviews on Trip Advisor because it just might interest the staff. I told him the reviews were not all that favorable from a number of guests. He dismissed it, "Trip Advisor is just another way to slander hotels." "Not so," I informed him,"I read all of the reviews about hotels before I leave for another destination and listen to what Trip Advisor has to say. If the hotel has three or more bad reviews I do not book that hotel. This has worked very well for me and we are always happy with our choice." He rolled his eyes. The food in the restaurant was very good. The hotel lobby is exquisite, the check in was good but overall it is too much to pay for mediocre.

• Liked — The lobby.
  • Disliked — The room.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank Joyceline
Calgary
Reviewed July 11, 2007

I stay at the Fairmont Palliser often, and it is one of my favorite hotels. I do agree that some of the rooms are dated (I stayed in the Royal Suite and even it was dated) but having stayed there numerous times, and staying in numerous rooms, I found that rooms are updated gradually. I also found that the Private lounge (Eighth floor guests) was very nice. Every evening I received cocktails and drinks. I also received a delicious breakfast, all of which amenities where complimentary. You do pay a higher price to stay on the eight floor, but I found a higher standard of service. The eighth floor is the concierge floor, and they were very helpful when showing me my room. They spent about 20 minutes telling me about the celebrities who stayed in the room, and the history of the hotel (I was very excited to discover that The Queen, Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Elton John and other celebrities had stayed in the same hotel suite as me). Overall my stays at The Fairmont Palliser have been pleasant, and I would recommend the hotel to people who are willing to pay more for a room.

• Liked — Great Service
  • Disliked — Dated Rooms
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank jordansean
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2007

We stayed 2 days here - our last hotel at end of 2 week holiday Hotel has lots of character & our suite was beautiful. Unfortunately the standard of service at reception was poor. There was a delay checking in; when we eventually reached a receptionist she told us there was welcome pack ready for us. The receptionist was then unable to find it & said she would look for it & give it to us later-it never materialized. At 6pm the following day, I found that housekeeping had not replenished the cream & milk cartons in our room. I personally went to reception to ask if I could have a couple of cartons for my coffee & was told that the receptionist could not do that, but that he would have some sent up to our room immediately. When we checked out at noon the following day, the milk had still not arrived. On checking out the receptionist asked if we had been satisfied with the hotel & we told her of our complaints. She said that as there really wasn't anything worth having in the welcome pack, we hadn't missed anything & that it was housekeepings fault the milk hadn't been delivered to our room. The service provided in the bar & by the concierge was faultless. I think the reception desk really needs to get its act together.

• Liked — Room
  • Disliked — Service from reception
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank saf51
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed June 23, 2007

We stayed at the Palliser for one night as a special treat after a wedding reception in Calgary where we live. Check in was great and the staff were pleasant and helpful. The lobby area is beautiful and the restaurants are fantastic, but definitely expensive. Our room was large but dated and tired looking. The bed was comfortable and clean and the towels smelled clean. The haire dryer worked great, water pressure was fine, and on the 5th floor it was nice and quiet. The review before mine about the crime in the downtown is definitely true, Calgary is booming and the city has a dark side that is getting out of control quickly. If you are going to stay at any hotel I would recommend somewhere outside of the downtown because it will be newer, a good price, and getting into the downtown is easy.

• Liked — The history
  • Disliked — Not all that fancy for the price
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Catty96
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 19, 2007

We got a nice deal through Expedia, so decided to visit the in-laws and have a nice brunch with them. The decent price was the last good thing that occured that weekend. We arrived in the evening and the first thing we saw was a young guy being handcuffed on a police car.
The whole block seemed populated by junkies and lowlifes. We were directed to park our car in the Palliser parking lot. Up to the 5th floor, into a dodgy lift, and through a deserted shopping centre to reach the lobby...not good. Check in. No room ready. Can we wait? No offer of a free drink or anything. A half hour later, shown to a very
tired looking room. Spacious, but shabby. Definitely not four star quality. I've seen YMCAs looking better.

Ice machine not working. Opened a window and almost choked on the dust. Hadn't been cleaned in years. Next morning went to get the car to fetch in-laws for brunch. Surprise! Smashed window, blood all over
the car, cell phone gone...nice. Notified the desk. Nothing to do with them. The Palliser parking lot is just a name, apparently. They bear no responsibility for what occurs there. Other cars had also been broken into. Called the police. They arrived after an interminable wait. Discovered they were only there in response to an earlier complaint made hours before...lucky us. Persuaded the hotel to tape some cardboard to the window and vacuum the glass off the seats and floor. They did a great job...not! My daughter cut her hand on one of the slivers the left behind.

Against our better judgement, stayed for brunch. Not a bad spread. We
had eaten there 8 years earlier. The bill then was reasonable. I made
the mistake of not asking the price in advance this time. Got the bill. $196!!! 2 adults, one child, one senior. Work it out. Can you say "Rip off"? The senior discount was $5. An eighty seven year old woman. How much is she going to eat? It's just insulting.

This hotel has no respect for you or your property. Our weekend was a
nightmare from start to finish. May I recommend The Grand Hyatt, just
down the road. A far superior experience in every respect. Stay at this relic at your own risk!

• Liked — Very little.
  • Disliked — Old and in a bad area
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family