“Good stay.”

Ranked #21 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Recently stayed at the Palliser for a wedding. Service was excellent, and the usual perks of being a President's Club member were evident. :) Was upgraded to the King Suite room, which was awesome. Had a chance to try out the lounge on the main floor and also tried out the Fairmont gold Floor, and everything surpassed my expectations. Its proximity to shopping and to the Calgary tower was an added bonus as well. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
TheFairmontPalliser, Manager at The Fairmont Palliser, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Hello Rehan!

So happy to hear you loved the proximity of our hotel to the downtown shopping district and the Calgary Tower!

We look foward to have you be our guest again soon!

There are newer reviews for The Fairmont Palliser

Reviewed February 15, 2014

In 2012 the Palliser was my "home away from home", having stayed there several times for two week periods. Although I hadn't submitted a review at the time, I've recently spent a few more nights at this lovely hotel and wanted to finally leave my praise.

First of all, the building itself is gorgeous; an authentic, beautiful, old Canadian railway hotel with loads of character. The lobby is grand and stunning, with soaring ceilings and chandeliers... it really transports you back to a glamorous time in Calgary's history. No other hotel in the area has the same presence, in my opinion... and that's why I love the Palliser.

I have to admit that I was well taken care of, so always had very large rooms on the renovated floors (in fact, most stays I was allocated exactly the same room). However, some of the rooms are very small, and definitely avoid the floors that have not been updated. The rooms I've had were very well furnished and appointed, with two large beds and seating/ working areas. The beds are outrageously comfortable, with soft down pillows and luxurious sheets. The bathrooms are rather compact - this is, after all, an old hotel - but nicely finished and feature excellent amenities (La Labo... although I prefer the Miller Harris they used to have). One thing I'd say that seems "out of character" are the hallways; they've been updated, but in a ghastly 90s style that is not in keeping with the rest of the hotel. Still, I imagine keeping a large and historical property like this 'up to date' is a never-ending task!

The service at the front desk is professional but I wouldn't say outstanding. Although I am a platinum member of their loyalty program, I never felt valued when checking in or checking out... in fact, I was often not even thanked for staying. Definitely room for improvement there. However, the service in every other area of the hotel was excellent. Upon arrival in my room there was always a welcome letter and personalized gift. Calling to the very friendly 'Royal Service' line you can request additional amenities or items for the room, and they are brought up promptly and with a smile... nothing was ever too much. The housekeeping staff were great, and especially the evening turn-down service... extremely friendly and helpful.

My favourite aspect of the hotel - by far - is the Oak Room lounge. A wonderful place to spend an evening, and I often opted to eat my dinner there as well. I was particularly impressed with the personable and professional service from Anna; she is a real character, and we've shared many laughs together!

Other highlights of the hotel are the swimming pool - which is a subterranean gem - and of course the great location, close to everything that downtown Calgary has to offer.

The Fairmont brand really resonates with me, and the Palliser is fabulous, so I look forward to my next stay!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank AR_Cox_

Hello there,

A "Home Away from Home!" we are so happy to hear this. Thank you kindly for your feedback of your recent stay with us - we'll take your feedback back to our team and especially let Anna know about your great experience in the Oak Room Lounge!

Look forward to have you back!

Reviewed February 9, 2014

My husband and I were surprised that such a classic hotel had one of the cheapest rates for our 2 night stay. You can't help but feel like royalty amidst such architecture, although it is true that the age of the hotel has the issue of smaller rooms. Beware that if parking before 6 PM in the parkade that you will get charged high rates. I liked that the breakfast menu had gluten-free options. I had an awful cold and when my husband asked at the front desk about the nearest drugstore they sent up a complimentary tray with tea, lemon slices, and tiny jars of honey. That is impressive and very much appreciated customer service!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Donna K

Hello Donna!

We're so happy to hear you found value in our guestroom rate and that you enjoyed your recent stay as so. We hope you were feeling better soon after the tea and honey.

We look forward to have you be our guests again soon!

Reviewed February 2, 2014

I spent two nights in the Fairmont on business in Calgary. The hotel is a beautiful classic with a great lobby in a location convenient to the central business district. The hotel upgraded me to a junior suite, which was fabulous. The only drawback is the size of the bathroom, which seemed too small especially if two people are trying to get ready at the same time. Breakfast in the hotel was very good whether the buffet or ordering off the menu.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank eethomaswfnc

Thank you for your review - happy to hear you were able to experience a surprise in a larger guest room. We look forward to continue to delight upon your next visit with us.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

We stayed here recently for one night as a stopover between the Fairmont Royal York, Toronto and The Fairmont Banff Springs. We had a lovely evening in this grand Victorian hotel from the heydays of the railway age. We were looked after very well indeed, our room was a decent size and the breakfast, served buffet style was plentiful in choice and quantity. Many thanks to all the staff at The Palliser for looking after us so well during our brief visit

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Hello there!

We are so happy to hear your stop at our property was a perfect stay in between your visits to our other sister properties.

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed January 27, 2014

My wife and I recently stayed at the Palliser for a company holiday party and were blown away by how nice this hotel is. Staff are friendly, the rooms are fairly nice - but the hotel main areas are second to none. Do not miss the Sunday brunch - best I have ever seen.

Room Tip: We stayed in the King Junior Suite - which was a large room with small bathroom. Very good rooms ov...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Adam M

Dearest Adam,

Thank you for your kind words! We love to hear that you enjoyed the Sunday brunch - our culinary team has worked hard to increase the experience and are happy to hear you appreciated the details of it and our hotel's offerings.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

Stayed here to participare in a business workshop. Nice old hotel, with a rather stately faded grandeur about the place. Room was fine, with a very comfortable king sized bed. Shower excellent, but a bit prone to flooding the floor. Rather overheated, but I was able to open the window. There's a Starbucks on site, and also an ATM.

Conference facilities worked well - free wi fi, excellent catering, and the room was well-appointed and a good location. Staff friendly and chatty - and the reception desk helped me check in on-line for my flight as I was checking out of the hotel, which was a nice touch.

I will stay here again on my next visit to Calgary.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Hello Andrew,

It's nice of you to review our property as so outlinging all of our amenities including our recently opened Starbucks on the boulevard level of the hotel.

We sincerly appreciate your loyalty and that we'll be your destination of choice upon your next visit to our city.

Thank you.