“Disappointing for the price you pay”

The Fairmont Palliser
Ranked #21 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

For the price that you pay to stay in this over-priced hotel, I would expect nicer rooms and a peaceful sleep.
The room was outdated, the bathroom was tiny and crammed. The toilet barely fit in and you had to squeeze between the seat and the sink to fit in. The bathtub was quite small, not very comfy and kinda of difficult to take a nice soak. I expected a nice large tub for the money that we paid for our room.
The room service menu was ridiculously expensive. $10.00 for one egg!! I kid you not. Plus add on another $4.00 for the delivery charge and that's one mighty expensive breakfast!
The food I had for supper was presented nicely, but honestly was not tasty, I thought it would be gourmet food but the chicken tasted like it had been boiled. I make better tasting chicken and I am by no means a chef. I think for the food you get there, you are paying for it looking nice but little else.
And the absolute worst thing- the constant banging and rumbling of not 1 train going by all night, but TWO all night long!!!! That's right, trains right outside our window, 2 tracks side by side. If I jumped out my window (believe me, I was contemplating it at 4:00 am after very little sleep!) I would have landed smack on top of a train. The constant noise of these trains ALL NIGHT LONG and the stench of their fumes made for a terrible sleep.
No, not worth the money to stay here. The plus was a large room and a comfy bed but because of the trains, that comfy bed was wasted.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Figglewiggle43
TheFairmontPalliser, Fairmont President's Club Manager at The Fairmont Palliser, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent visit to The Fairmont Palliser on TripAdvisor. We regret to learn that your experience was less than exceptional and we greatly appreciate your comments and feedback. We apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced during your stay. We encourage you to join our Fairmont President’s Club, whereby guests are able to highlight their desired guest room preferences in a personalized profile. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back, in hopes of restoring your confidence in our hotel.

Jaryd Manastyrski
Fairmont President's Club Manager

There are newer reviews for The Fairmont Palliser

Reviewed August 25, 2012

I booked this hotel in downtown Calgary for my boyfriend's birthday weekend. This hotel is amazing, they even had chocolate covered strawberries for us when we arrived in the room. All the staff are friendly and accommodating and seem to really want to help you out.

We also spent sometime at the spa in the basement of the Palliser which was a great experience. The couples massage was very romantic and relaxing. The steam room is amazing, but hot and co-ed.

The Oak Room is a great place to get a drink before heading out for a night on the town. You can relax and people watch with live music and complimentary spiced nuts as soon as you sit down.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a romantic weekend in the city.

Room Tip: We picked a room that was right next to the Calgary tower - lunchtime chimes everyday. I guess you h...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank thisbrogan
TheFairmontPalliser, Director of Operations at The Fairmont Palliser, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a wonderful review on TripAdvisor. We are so pleased that you found our colleagues to be friendly and accommodating and that you chose to spend your boyfriend’s birthday at our property. It is wonderful that you had the opportunity to enjoy a Couples Massage at RnR Wellness THE SPA and we truly appreciate your wonderful feedback on our Oak Room Lounge. It is great that you enjoyed our Live Music and complimentary snacks! We sincerely look forward to welcoming you back on your next romantic city escape.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

Recent updates resulting in first class, crisp, modern room decor. We had a spacious room with nice big comfy, plushy bed and huge, beautiful bathroom. Lots of closet space and room to spread out. Attentive and knowledgeable bell staff and reception desk. Remnants of old time luxury in the lobby with beautiful chandeliers and carpeting - not stuffy at all but very enjoyable and relaxing. Walk one block to the promenade with tons of outdoor drinks and dining, and unique boutiques, nice Hudson Bay department store and top quality hiking and outdoor type stores. Following a long drive to Calgary we ordered In Room dining - it was wonderful and on a par with dining room service and presentation. We stayed on the Gold Floor and the evening appetizers and the morning hot breakfast were incredible with wide variety of goodies to choose from. We were traveling with Fido and my only teeny tiny complaint is that we had to walk all the way to the Westin to find good grass - we do not have an urban dog so to speak - so that could possibly send us back to the Westin. Hotels that advertise themselves as big time Pet Friendly need some good grass nearby. Very minor point in the scheme of things but it would have been a big deal had the weather not been so good to us. Otherwise the Palliser is a top class, enjoyable and relaxing experience.

2  Thank ClaireDeLune2009
TheFairmontPalliser, Director of Operations at The Fairmont Palliser, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are so pleased that you enjoyed our beautiful guest room renovations and found our colleagues to be knowledgeable and attentive. We are thrilled that you had a lovely stay on Fairmont Gold and that you had the opportunity to enjoy our In-Room Dining. We do apologize for any inconvenience that our location may have caused you or Fido. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome you back to The Fairmont Palliser again in the future.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

I stayed at the The Fairmont Palliser in Calgary for three nights in a Fairmont King room. My overall impression was that the hotel delivered what I expected, but did nothing special. The things I liked include the efficient room layout, very soft bathrobes and comfortable beds.

Among the points I didn't care for I would include: The big flat-screen TV didn't have a button to adjust the aspect ratio, resulting in all programs being artificially stretched to the wide-screen format. In addition, there was no digital signal. The design of the rooms is definitely on the dated side, and the bathroom door in room 652 definitely needs a lick of paint. Oddly I was told I got one of the refurbished rooms. The pool in the basement of the hotel was too small for any real swimming, and overrun by kids anyway. When I asked if I can use a locker the spa attendant replied "We are not associated to the hotel, I don't know what the hotel does" - I believe they should know. Finally, travelers should be aware that the downtown area where the Palliser is located is completely dead during the weekends.

I would recommend the Fairmont Palliser to anyone looking for an classic-style luxury hotel away from the noise of nightlife.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Kanaman

We thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. It is unfortunate to hear that your visit did not far exceed your expectations, but we appreciate your comments regarding your stay. Please know that your valuable feedback has been communicated to the appropriate teams. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the room layout of our guest accommodation and that you found our bathrobes and beds to be soft and comfortable. We sincerely hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

My wife and I stayed here on our special holiday to celebrate our 23rd wedding anniversary and my 60th birthday. As a result of an e-mail from my daughter, much to our surprise, we were upgraded to a suite. It was a truly great room. The staff were great and this was a luxury experience for a very fair price.

1  Thank 186Steve
TheFairmontPalliser, General Manager at The Fairmont Palliser, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Fairmont Palliser for such a special occasion! Congratulations on your 23rd Wedding Anniversary and Happy Birthday to you as well! It is our pleasure to take superb care of our guests and we are delighted to hear how memorable your experience was. We sincerely appreciate your wonderful comments and look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed August 22, 2012

My husband surprised me with a night at the Fairmont Palliser on the Gold Level for our 3rd Anniversary on August 8th. We had such a great time! They upgraded our room and when we entered there were chocolate covered strawberries waiting to welcome us. We loved the Gold Level lounge and the manager there was fantastic! She went out of her way to make our night there memorable.

We went to the Rimrock restaurant in the hotel for dinner and we highly recommend the Oysters. OMG there were amazing!! We were about to order our dinner then we saw all the yummy food they were sending into the lounge. We ended up ordering a burger and pizza which were so yummy. They were really sweet about letting us order the lounge food in the restaurant.

The room itself was really pretty and we loved all the added space with the upgrade. The appetizers and breakfast that was included in the lounge was great. We spent a lot of time just unwinding up there.

Thanks for a great anniversary!

1  Thank Meeters
TheFairmontPalliser, General Manager at The Fairmont Palliser, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! We are so pleased that you had such a memorable stay on Fairmont Gold and thank you for choosing to spend such a special occasion with us. We are delighted that you so thoroughly enjoyed your meal at The Rimrock and we appreciate you taking the time to review your experience. We sincerely hope to welcome you back for your Fourth Anniversary next year!

Reviewed August 21, 2012

My friends and I stayed at the Fairmont Palliser on the last night of our trip through Rocky Mountaineer. I guess it should have been a clue to us that our room wasnt going to be great when the lady at check in told us she could upgrade us to a newer room for 80 dollars more. We declined and checked into a room that was very outdated and had some of the dirtiest carpet I have seen in a hotel. We should have complained but we were all so tired from our week long trip that we didn't. Our room was a decent size but our friends room down the hallway was extremely tiny. Their carpet was very dirty also. I really dislike nasty carpet and hate that you have to wear shoes just to walk around in your room! When we asked at the front dest about shopping we were told that nothing downtown stays open after 6 pm and that the hotel does not even have a gift shop or area to buy snacks!!! What kind of place is this???? And they were right. No place anywhere near to buy anything unless you want a souvenier from the Calgary Lookout. And dining options are almost non existant. I had been excited to visit Calgary but that has changed and I will tell other to steer clear of this hotel and the town. Clean up this place if you want to be Fairmont.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank jbags39

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your recent stay at The Fairmont Palliser. We are grateful for your valued feedback and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience that these issues may have caused you. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the size of your guest room and have followed up with the appropriate teams regarding your comments. It is unfortunate that you did not have the opportunity to enjoy Calgary’s wonderful shopping due to the time of day. We are pleased to be located only one block away from Stephen Avenue Walk, which is home to beautiful shops, restaurants, lounges and bars. We thank you again for your review and hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Calgary once again.