“Excellent!”

Ranked #21 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Edmonton, AB, Canada
“Excellent!”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Stayed 2 nights at the Palliser on the 8th floor (Gold Floor). Staying on the Gold floor allows you to go up to the penthouse for appetizers in the late afternoon with honor bar and also for breakfast in the morning. We had the appetizers which were excellent, and the penthouse view was nice out of the many windows.
Had my suit drycleaned and it was promptly returned by the time they promised, the free shoe shine service was also trouble free. Our room had nice high ceilings, no real view, but it was quiet and warm. Valet parking was also prompt. Not really a kid friendly hotel with activities for kids like the Jasper Park Lodge or Banff Springs, but our son loved the pool and hot tub.

Room Tip: Try to get the Gold rooms.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank revwarfan
GMPalliser, Director of Operations at The Fairmont Palliser, responded to this review, November 3, 2011
We are so thrilled that you so thoroughly enjoyed our new Fairmont Gold floor and exclusive Fairmont Gold Lounge on the Penthouse Level. Guests of Fairmont Gold have the opportunity to enjoy enhanced amenities and personalized service that are truly incomparable. We are thrilled that you took pleasure in staying in one of our newly renovated Fairmont Gold guest rooms and that you had the opportunity to spend time with your family in our pool and hot tub.

We look forward to your next visit!

Frédéric Paré
Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Edmonton Alberta
Reviewed October 29, 2011

Hi I just spent two torturous nights at the Fairmont Palliser hotel in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I thought I should warn people.

First I'll say that the Interior design and architecture is absolutely beautiful and the girls at the front desk staff very professional and courteous. The hotel looks very well maintained and clean- well until I saw someone with a big stinky Dog, get off the elevator,( I am allergic to animals) and I feel that animals are better served staying in animal kennels and not supposedly four star hotels.

The hotel even offers free valet parking for customers whom drive a Hybrid Vehicle, So we saved a bit there. The first problem was a strong musty and dusty smell in the room. (Probably had a dog and cat staying there for a week. Next, after having a bath, the water would not drain out of the tub,(someone probably washed there dog and cat in it that week and plugged the drain). This incident took four hours to get fixed and they did not have another room available to change to. Next, we looked out the window just to see the back side of a hundred foot cement wall and a three track railway running between the two buildings. Little did I know that the trains barely run during the day but they do run all night long, and on all three train tracks stopped counting at 35 times the two and three engine trains clamored noisily, back and forth past our hotel room window, as they billowed up plums of toxic diesel exhaust that made its way in through the hotel bedroom windows,(so much for fresh air).

The room had an alarm clock but due to the trains it was not needed as you could not possibly sleep and I wondered if a room on the main street side would have been any better or less noisy. Next item worth mentioning is that the 27 inch flat panel TV in the room was positioned to the extreme left side of the bed and not across from the bed as in every other hotel in the world. So this meant that in order to watch television you must crank your head to the left as far as your neck would allow or sit in the chair in the room.

Anyway I started to wonder if this was all a nightmare, but I was now hungry and thought a nice breakfast would cheer me up. I looked at the room service menu and saw, that for one organic egg, the price was a meager $10.00 dollars plus compulsory $4.00 tip and the rest of the prices escalated up from there. No way, was I going for the room service. I headed down to the Rim rock restaurant where I ordered breakfast, two eggs "easy over" etc. at a price of $28.00 , However they arrived at my table as fried eggs and I sent them back, and then the lids on the cute little jam containers would not open. The waitress said they were having problems with them.
The room only had a thermostat for heat control in the bathroom. And other than the valet service taking forty minutes to get your car (not fifteen like they tell you) it was a great day.

The next day I ordered a steak sandwich that had a nice plate presentation, however the mushrooms were absent and I can't remember eating a tougher steak dinner. I guess I should have had the Clubhouse sandwich.

All In all, I would never stay at this hotel again and my advice to you is not to either. It is fit for Dogs however. Cheers.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank thetraveller_9
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed October 27, 2011

I stayed at the Fairmont with my friend for 3 days, and it was the worst experience I have ever had. Our first impression of the room was really good. It was big with high ceilings, looked like it had been updated and a large bathroom perfect for two girls. When we got there, we unpacked and had a quick nap. When we woke up we were freezing cold! It was -30 outside and it felt like someone had left a window open. We searched all the windows and everything was closed. We went downstairs to talk to front desk and the apologized and said they would switch our rooms. They seemed very nice so we weren't too upset. They gave us our room key and we went to our new room. The new room was TERRIBLE! It looked like it hadn't been updated since the 80's, the doors on the TV stand were broken and didn't shut properly, our room was at least half the size of old one, the bathroom door didn't have a proper lock and was maybe 1/3 the size of the original one and the beds were no where near the quality of the original room. It felt like we were in a totally different hotel. It was too late in the night to go downstairs and have to move again so we stayed in the room. When I got home I emailed the hotel to explain the problems that we had and see if they would do anything for us. I got a response back saying we are sorry for the problems, hope to see you soon. I will NEVER be back to the Fairmont again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank Courtney E
GMPalliser, General Manager at The Fairmont Palliser, responded to this review, November 3, 2011
Thank you for proving us with your feedback regarding your stay in December 2010. We apologize once again for your unfortunate experience during your time at The Fairmont Palliser last year. Since your stay, we have completed a significant renovation project that included five floors of guest rooms and the complete refurbishment our Fairmont Gold product. With these significant changes, we sincerely look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back, in hopes of restoring your confidence in us. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

Dan McGowan
South east, Ireland
Reviewed October 16, 2011

We were a party of four adults and we were travelling across Canada. We stayed two nights in the Fairmont and we really enjoyed our stay. The hotel is a mixture of Old world with all the mod cons of the present. The hotel is very clean and warm. It is very well located within walking distance of the city centre and within easy access other tourist destinations. We did not eat in this hotel as we found the prices very expensive but there are many restaurants within minutes walk from the Hotel. We would definately stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rhona123
GMPalliser, Communications Manager at The Fairmont Palliser, responded to this review, October 18, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive and thorough review. We are delighted that you had the opportunity to enjoy The Fairmont Palliser on your trip across Canada and the fabulous restaurants in our vicinity. We look forward to your next visit!

Best Regards,

Jessica Reynolds
Communications Manager
Fountain Valley CA
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Our short 5 day vacation began and ended at this marvelous hotel. The lobby decor reminded us of the Fairmont San Francisco. We opted for the Gold floor upgrade and were thrilled with all the amenities offered. The staff is second to none and not only accommodating but anticipated our every need.. Evening canapes were luxurious and generous as was the morning breakfast. The lounge was modern and well furnished. Our refurbished corner room was spotless and brought totally up to date. This was in contrast to some who found the hotel tired. We visited 3 Fairmonts on this trip including Banff and Lake Louise but this was our 'favorite hotel' by far. The others were great as well because of their location but the Palliser stands alone at the top.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the gold floor and ask for a corner room.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Traveldennis
GMPalliser, Communications Manager at The Fairmont Palliser, responded to this review, October 13, 2011
Thank you so much for your wonderful review! We are thrilled that you had the opportunity to experience our newly renovated Fairmont Gold Floor and that our colleagues truly enhanced your stay. We are also very pleased to hear that you found our evening canapés and executive continental breakfast, luxurious and generous. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and look forward to your return!

Best Regards,

Jessica Reynolds
Communications Manager
Reviewed October 8, 2011

Not comparable to other Fairmont properties. Needs a refresh, seems worn and dated.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank IveBeenEveryPlace
Edmonton
Reviewed October 6, 2011

I do quite a bit of business travelling and so speak from a good level of experience. The rooms I've stayed in here tired and frayed at the edges; albeit comfortable. One cannot fault the service, but the rooms do not warrant the rate. There are other, cheaper and better appointed hotels in downtown Calgary.

• Stayed October 2011
GMPalliser, Director of Operations at The Fairmont Palliser, responded to this review, October 13, 2011
We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with feedback on your recent stay at The Fairmont Palliser. We are pleased to learn that you found our guest rooms comfortable and enjoyed our colleagues’ guest service. In the past year we have undergone a significant renovation project that included the full refurbishment of floors 4, 5 and 6 and the expansion and renovation of our Fairmont Gold Floor. We sincerely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back as these updates are sure to impress.

Kind Regards,