“Just Okay . . . Nothing More”

Delta Hotels Calgary Airport In-Terminal
Ranked #37 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
USA
“Just Okay . . . Nothing More”
Reviewed July 21, 2007

No real surprises here, really: the pluses that other reviews bring up (i.e., convenience to terminal and rental car services) and the negatives raised as well (price, in light of small, not-particularly-modern rooms with no frills) have all been discussed. The staff at the desk were friendly, the gym is alright at best, and that's about all one can say.

If management either reduces prices (almost unimaginable) or puts some money into updating the rooms that would be a great improvement . . . short of that, one needs to determine whether such convenience is worth the extra cost (relative to other airport hotels that one needs a car/taxi/shuttle to access): it was for us . . . but only just barely.

• Liked — Convenience to YYC (Calgary's Airport)
  • Disliked — Price paid, given no frills whatsoever
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Duberto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Korean first
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2007

Main consideration was being on site of airport for early morning flight. Though the room was not large the facilities were good and the staff and swimming pool were great.
Did not like the smell of aviation fuel in the corridors but the room and other public areas did not smell.
The beds were very comfortable and we heard no noise from the airport.

• Liked — Proximity to airport
  • Disliked — Smell in corridor
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 10, 2007

This hotel partly shows its heritage as a former member of the Canadian Pacific chain; it's nicely decorated (especially for an airport hotel) and some of the old CP silverware is still around, a nice touch. There's nothing really remarkable about this building, but its location--the only hotel connected to the terminals at Calgary International--is a big convenience. The rooms, while on the small side, are absolutely silent and very well appointed (the bedding was excellent and we slept very well), and there's a nice-sized pool and hot tub, strangely located in the atrium lobby. We had a decent lunch in the bar (a good alternative to the giant Sunday brunch buffet, the only other choice on a Sunday afternoon) and enjoyed a long chat with the very friendly bartender. The front desk staff is a mixed bag: some very friendly and helpful (one gave us very good tips on using public transit to get downtown, an alternative to the $40 cab ride), others extremely rude. I suppose this means some training is in order, but on the whole this is an above-average airport hotel, and I do recommend it.

• Liked — Pleasant room, very good bedding
  • Disliked — Smallish room, but that was no big deal
  • Stayed July 2007
1 Thank Lit-traveler
Cypress, Texas
Reviewed July 3, 2007

I actually stayed in two different rooms on consecutive nights as a one night visit turned into two thanks to a cancelled Air Canada Jazz flight.

I tremendously appreciate the convenience of this hotel to the airport. From front desk of the hotel to check in counter of the airport is as little as a one minute walk. You can't beat the convenience. You do pay for it. I paid $301 CDN one night and $279 CDN the second night. These are not $280 CDN rooms.

As noted by other reviewers, the rooms are small. The bathrooms are absolutely tiny. I could not tell if there was air conditioning in the rooms or not. There are no light switches by the door - they are over by the sink / bar - which by the way takes up space that could be better used by modernizing and expanding the bathroom. I felt like I was in the late 1970's, room wise.

As noted by other reviewers, in addition to the convenience, you cannot hear airport noise.

Also worth noting: rooms overlooking the courtyard can be viewed into by people in rooms on the adjoining U shaped wings.

One mechanical problem in the room I was in the second night: the alarm clock did not work.

I found the staff to be not consistently helpful. When I checked in at 12:55 am on the first night (due to storms in Calgary), the front desk clerk asked how I was doing. I think that question at that time of day transcends the line from cheerfulness to stupidity. More seriously, when I checked in the second night, I asked the "assistant manager" who was checking me in if there was a charge for 1-800 phone calls (answer: there is: $1.33 CDN per call). He said he did not know and then 30 seconds later went into his rote spiel about contacting him if I needed any help whatsoever. He did catch himself and got the answer for me before I left the desk.

I had two meals in the hotel restaurant. I did have one negative experience. The $301 rate included a free breakfast voucher - for a continental breakfast buffet. The voucher clearly states that. When I was served, the waiter picked up the voucher looked at me as if I had a communicable disease and said, "This is not good for a hot breakfast. You need to pay $5 more for that." A) I did not want a hot breakfast. B) I think he would sell more hot breakfasts if he pitched as asking if I would like to upgrade to a full, hot breakfast for only $5.

• Liked — Airport convenience
  • Disliked — Tiny bathrooms
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
aimee_nik
Reviewed June 11, 2007

I stayed at this hotel just over this weekend and was VERY impressed. I had to go to the Calgary airport to pick up my new puppy who was being shipped from missouri, and need a one night stay that was pet-friendly. When I arrived, I was greeted by a very nice man, and a very nice woman at the front desk. They were extreamly nice and when I told them I was picking up a puppy from the airport, they asked me to stop buy so they could play with him. I went upstairs and walked into a very warm, comfey room. Very clean and spacious. And I was also impressed that I did not even have to rent a smoakers room because I had a dog, ALL the rooms are pet friendley! And when I realized my breader did not ship my puppy with food, the front desk girl even offerd to run to the Shoppers Drugmart to pick some up. In the morning I just packed up my things and made the 10 second walk over to the departures terminal. All in all I was very happy with this hotel.

• Liked — Convience, Great Staff
  • Disliked — Little pricey
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
Montreal
Reviewed May 18, 2007

What a rip off. After spending 10 days travelling in Alberta this was the most expensive and worst hotel on our trip. The room and the bath room were very small. The water was not hot and the airconditioning was not cold. We spent a hot sleepless night before catching our flight the next morning. This was the only place we had to pay extra for parking and also for internet. What a relief to walk out the front door. Our next visit to Calgary we will choose a better Hotel a little further from the airport.

• Liked — Close to airport
  • Disliked — extra charges
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Bridgebuildersmom
Alberta, Canada
Reviewed April 19, 2007

This is our second stay at this hotel for early morning flights. Overall we are not impressed. The convenience can't be beat, a short walk from your room to the departure areas. There is no airport noise in the rooms, however the rooms overlooking the courtyard and pool area get a lot of inside noise. Also the beds are not very comforatable and have overly stiff and noisy bedding. We also found, on both occassions, that the in-room, express checkout didn't work at 4:30 am. If you are a sound sleeper or by yourself, these items would probably not be a issue. After trying this option twice, next time we will opt for comfort over convenience and stay at one of the much less expensive offsite hotels. We feel that this hotel is very overpriced for what you get.

• Liked — convenience
  • Disliked — uncomforatable beds
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family