“Excellent business hotel”

Hyatt Regency Calgary
Ranked #16 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Excellent business hotel in the center of Calgary (great location!) - just off Stephen Avenue and with a C-Train station directly outside - for easy access to Downtown during the bitter cold winters!

The restaurant for breakfast has very good service and waiters also remember your choices! (I stayed here long stay on business for over 30 days last year).

The rooms are to be expected for a North American 4* - very large, clean and modern. (I'm from Europe where a lot of hotels are very dated and shabby in comparison to the new North American hotels!) I was pleased with the size of the rooms, but a little disappointed that the maids didn't always seem to restock the mini-toiletries.

Gym and Spa in the hotel were good - on the 18th Floor so had a decent view of the city.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't face the C-Train, otherwise you'll hear the train roll past earl...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed April 15, 2014

The Hyatt and attached convention center hosted a recent conference that I attended. The rooms were great and quiet. The hotel was within easy walking distance of restaurants and shops. The breakfast buffet was excellent and the coffee shop was good for grabbing a quick bite to eat. The catering for the events had enough food and drink for everyone (which seems to always run out at these conferences). They were quick to respond with a few convenience items.

My only issue was with internet access. It worked very well in my room but if I was in the conference areas, still within the Hyatt, it was spotty at best. This made it sometimes difficult to work outside of the room which was essential between conference events.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 7, 2014

This has to be the best location! It is so easy to find, near everything and an easy to use parking garage.
The rooms are nice, but nothing fancy. It is a lot of money for what you get, but most Hotels in Calgary are over-priced.
Great restaurants on site (although Brunch began a bit late for me and one staff member was very rude to me) and many restaurants within walking distance.
Located on Stephen Ave walk, close to two casinos, lots of shopping and a large mall nearby. Stampede Park is not even far away!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 7, 2014

My husband and I stayed two nights in this hotel and were satisfied with our stay. The hotel itself is beautiful, the staff were friendly and efficient. Our room was clean, although more attention could be paid to cleaning around the desk plug-ins, they were a bit grimy. The bathroom is dated, especially the bathtub/shower, basic shower head and tub, good water pressure though. They do give you a very nice selection of complimentary toiletries, everything from your shampoo/conditioner to nail files and makeup remover wipes. They also have a regular hair dryer which is something I always like to see as I absolutely can't stand those ones that are attached to the wall. The bed was very comfortable, good pillows and bedding was soft and a nice weight. Did not use the coffee maker, but took a good look and was dissapointed that it was just a regular coffee maker, a Keurig or Nespresso machine would have been a nice touch for a hotel of this standard. The location of this hotel is great, good for walking Stephen ave, lots of restaurants and bars close by, the LRT/Ctrain is close and so is the Glenbow museum, Telus convention center and library. Parking is expensive, $29 a night, and although Calgary downtown does have some of the most expensive parking in North America, you'd think that the hotel could offer slightly better rates. We got the CAA rate per night and it came with a buffet breakfast, which included a made to order omelet station, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, waffles, danishes, muffins, fruit, yogurt, cereal, oatmeal coffee, tea juice etc. I do wish however that you could just help yourself to drinks instead of being served, because a complimentary breakfast should not make you feel obligated to tip the server....sorry! Would I stay at this hotel again, I don't think so, mainly because of the cost of parking, if they reduced their rate I'd highly consider it!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 27, 2014

I stayed here in mid-2013, and though it has taken me a very long time to write a review, I nonetheless post my commentary because of the great experience I had.

Calgary is certainly not a global city, and from what I gather, the number of available hotel rooms is quite limited, meaning individual properties don’t have to go out of their way to attract customers in a tight market. The lack of capacity is why room prices are so expensive in the city. Price notwithstanding, I spent a lot of time working from the hotel, and had the chance to explore all its features. My stay at this property was first rate.

I stayed on the club floor, and had access to the business lounge. The room itself is simple, neat, but well-appointed, a bit on the large side, but not by much. There is ample work space available. The bathroom was average, and compared to the bedroom, was styled much more like one would expect from a run-of-the-mill chain hotel. That’s not the end of the world, but I would strongly suggest management upgrade the shower amenaties from generic Hyatt brand to a higher quality class of product. On the bright side, the hotel provides a “forgot it at home bag” with a whole bunch of goodies, some of which I still use today.

The business lounge is fantastic. Though not large at all, the food provided throughout the day is very very good. Breakfast has a large selection of cereals, fruit, fish, and bread, while evening cocktail hour has great variety of vegetables, cheeses, and other food to nibble on. A wide selection of tea, coffee, drinks, and sweets is provided throughout the day. The only downside is that one has to pay for alcohol, but unlike Europe and Asia, that seems to be the standard practice at North American hotels.

The exercise center is well equipped and not crowded. I would guess the swimming pool is around 7 meters, which is nice and large, and the room it’s in has windows which afford views over the entire city. The steam room (a much sought-after facility by myself) is really great. A small point regarding the hot pool: get some stronger bubbles and a faster current to make it truly enjoyable.

The concierge was helpful in answering my queries, and followed up after to make sure that my needs were met. Cleaning staff always said hello when seeing me, and one even addressed me by name. I was very impressed with the high quality of soft and hard product, and rate my experience as fantastic. I think with a few small tweaks, the Calgary Hyatt could easily stand up to some of the premier hotels in main global cities. I don’t know when I’ll be back in Calgary, but it’s quite clear to me where I’ll stay if I ever do return.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 22, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a work conference. I didn't have to pay for the room, so have no gripes about that. Everything was adequate, clean and in line with expectations for a Hyatt Regency. Check-in was seamless, and check-out was simple and straightforward. Wireless worked well, and I enjoyed meeting up with friends in the lobby lounge; drinks cost about $12-15/glass. Since I was there for work, I didn't have the opportunity to enjoy the fitness centre, but everything was top-notch. I actually splurged on room service for breakfast, and got the smoothie with one of the kids meals. I was really happy to see the smaller portioned children's meals on the menu, because none of the other items appealed to me. Although the smoothie was pretty expensive ($7-8), it was definitely fresh and delicious. No complaints, and it came right on time. Would definitely come back to this hotel, especially on work's dime. However, if I were paying personally, I would stay somewhere else (then again, I don't think I would be in Calgary for vacation) at a more affordable price point. This is more of a business hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 20, 2014

I was appalled at how expensive this hotel is. I guess it must be the market price, since I am told that Calgary is expensive, but still, I was stunned that a regular hotel room would cost $350 dollars a night and that doesn't even include breakfast. Fortunately, internet was included.

The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. The bed was very comfortable and I slept quite well, although the pillows were a bit big, but I am picky about pillows and many times wind up rolling a towel and placing it under my neck if the pillows are too large.

To be honest, I would have expected a couple of bottles of water in the room for the price paid, but I had to drink tap water. Also, the toiletries could have been better quality and a scale would have been nice.

The gym was well equipped, complete with towels and wet towels in a fridge.

All in all, no complaints, but for the price I guess I would have expected a little more "premium".

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business