“Good experience - recommended”

Hyatt Regency Calgary
Ranked #16 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed December 5, 2013

The Hyatt in Calgary keeps up the high standard usually expected from Hyatt - I have yet to stay at a bad one. It's not cheap but they do deliver what they promise. We stayed overnight and had a meal and breakfast in Thompson'd restaurant. The room and the bed were very good. The only minor problem occurred when the valet forgot about getting our car.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 26, 2013

I had the pleasure of spending 3 nights here on a conference. Excellent hotel with large, luxurious rooms, good views, great service and great proximity to restaurants, shopping and other attractions. Food in the hotel was excellent as well. Great workout facilities overlooking the city on the 18th floor. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay at this hotel.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Had a wonderful experience at the hotel all over.
The location was great and accessible easily.
the wifi was the only problem I had,
wish they had better wifi.
staff very accomodating and graceful
will be back

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Stayed for three days, the service was excellent and staff go above and beyond to be helpful. Food at the Thompson restaurant was amazing, we ate there at least four times. The room was very comfortable although I did not spend much time in the room. There is so much to do close by to the hotel and in walking distance, it is in the core of downtown and in the winter the shopping can be accessed without going outside. It is an excellent venue to host a conference, everything ran smoothly and the meals provided were all very good. There is a Starbucks on the ground floor of the Hotel which was a bonus. I did not get chance to use the spa however my colleagues informed me it was excellent.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

We were guests of the hotel for 2 nights while on business. Our impressions are mixed.

The location of the hotel can’t be beat. it’s proximate to many good restaurants, the Glenbow Museum, and some excellent shopping.(Holt Renfrew and Harry Rosen.) Stephens Avenue is only steps away.

Customer service and hospitality are noteworthy. Although this hotel’s physical amenities are far from 5 star, the service and courtesy we experienced were top notch.

We booked an upgraded room on the 17th floor. City views were wonderful. The room was a good size. The room appeared to be recently redecorated, but it felt dated. The dark colours of gold and greens are part of the hotel’s Alberta western rugged aesthetic. Think of it as an extension of the Calgary airport but in better taste. Beds were very comfortable. We, too, experienced problems with the TV reception. The picture would either freeze or stutter. Coffee is provided but the maker is cheap and the coffee poor. Locating an outlet to plug in the machine was difficult. We couldn’t locate an outlet on the credenza in which the machine was located and were obliged to prepare it in the bathroom. It took an excruciating long time for the coffee to drip down. Come on Hyatt- time for a Kuerig or, even better, a Nespresso

The bathroom was a good size but the shower looked cheap. It was spotless, however. There was no magnification mirror. Toiletries were nice. We noted what appeared to be makeup stains on the bathroom wallpaper near the vanity that wiped off with a damp tissue. Housekeeping was otherwise good.

I used the hotel gym on one occasion on a Monday morning. It was empty. There are several ellipticals, treadmills, and bikes. I also recall a stepper. There were a few weight machines, balls, mats, and free weights. The pool is incredibly small.

There are two better restaurants in the hotel - Thomson and Catch. We ate at the former and a review will be posted soon.

In the end, the benefits outweighed the deficiencies and we would stay again.

Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

The Hyatt Regency is by far my favourite hotel in Calgary. The staff live and breathe excellent customer service - from the front desk staff who checked us in, to the nice man who delivered our room service. Everything was wonderful. My husband and I were made to feel special all weekend. Our room was magnificent. We were upgraded to a conference suite on the 17th floor. I highly recommend that you get the Regency package. The evening turndown service and bottles of water and chocolates were a nice touch too. Everything about it our stay was wonderful. Thank you Hyatt! We shall return.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 8, 2013

You don't want to stay here for a dream vacation unless you like nightmares.
I recently had the pleasure of attending a 3 day convention (31 October- 02 November) in Calgary; a beautiful friendly city. But, unfortunately my hotel left much to be desired;
1. The TV picture breaks up constantly into little squares. When it does come back on the sound and lips are not synchronised. This very disconcerting during a news program,
2. The shower does not have a grab-bar inside or outside the shower enclosure. This is a safety item that is unacceptable,
3. There is a non-refundable deposit equal to one night's room rental plus applicable taxes due 30 days prior to arrival ($279). YIKES,
4. The radio's light is enough to read a book by so I put a pillow over it,
My reservation for a King sized bed was changed to 2 Queen sized beds. On arrival in room what did I find - a KING,
5. The staff were very pleasant and could not do enough for you at all times, and
6. There are 2 dining areas I attended, Thomsons and Catch (seafood) - both were excellent.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
ManagementHRC, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Dear John A,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback regarding your stay. I was disappointed to hear that you encountered several issues during your stay, but I can certainly understand your frustrations. I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced. Rest assured, I have shared your comments with our management team and will ensure we follow up appropriately.

Please let me know if you would like to discuss further or if I may be of any assistance.

Herb Rackliff