“Pleasantly surprised”

Ranked #57 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Calgary, Canada
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed November 11, 2008

Had to stay here due to a workshop location and booked with trepidation due to reviews here, I stay in hotels a lot and use Tripadvisor to advise me and its not usually wrong ......... except this time

This is a good quality and cheap business hotel and provided treated as such it delivers in spades

Check in - friendy and efficient
Room - bit dated but clean and fresh, fast free internet
Rate - cheap as chips
Room service - good quality and quick
Breakfast - nice buffet with a couple of bucks off with the vouchers they give you

Can't really fault it - more than can be said for Hampton Inn and Suites.

I checked out of here to go there based on reviews and moved straight back the next day and still here now

Can we please have some more balanced reviews of this hotel from business travellers it deserves better ratings than it currently gets.

Rob

• Liked — Good quality cheap hotel
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank OmanRob

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Calgary
Reviewed August 26, 2008

My Fiancee and I booked a romance package at this hotel and when we first arrived everything was all smooth sailing. We were treated nicely at the front desk and the room was fairly nice. We stayed in the Presidential Suite for two nights and after the first few hours things started to go south....VERY SOUTH! We ordered room service and were told it would be 20 minutes. They have a policy written on there menus about 'We deliver in 30 minutes or its free' so just for fun, we timed them. Well our food was not delivered in 20 minutes, it was almost twice that long and well over their 30 minute policy, when we brought it up to the girl who delivered the food, she said that she had it there on time and to talk to the Food and Beverage Manager the next day. So I did. I have never been treated so rudely by someone. I have been in alot of hotels and we have always got exceptional service, but not here! The Manager, Steve, was very rude and said that it hasn't happened in 7 years so there is no way it happened to us. Well it did, and I was angry about the way Steve treated me because he was very short very rude, and didn't even suggest an alternative place to talk, so there we are discussing this in the main lobby of the hotel... VERY UNPROFESSIONAL! I had enough of him so I said that I was going to talk to the General Manager, we left 2 voice mails and a note at checkout with the front desk for him to call me as soon as he could. It has been 3 days and I am still waiting. The service was horrible, the food was disgusting and I would NEVER go there again, nor would I ever recommend anyone else to go there. We went to the breakfast buffet the next day because we had vouchers, we were hoping service in-restuarant would be better. We were wrong. Half the trays at the buffet were empty and they had no juice left, and there was still over an hour before the buffet closed. It was horrible. I have recieved much better service at a Holiday Inn or even Super 8. When you are paying over 300 dollars a night, you should at least get service, and we did not.
The best thing about this hotel was the fact that there was a Dennys across the street and McDonalds right beside it. It is pretty bad when McDonalds (which I dont like) has better food than the in-hotel Restaurant! Do Not Go To This Hotel, it is horrible!

• Liked — It was close to Dennys, because the resturant food sucked!
  • Disliked — Everything, the service was horrible and no one cared when we had a problem. $700 later, I am just appaled!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank AvidHoteler
Alberta, Canada
Reviewed August 22, 2008

When you walked into the lobby, we noticed that it had been redone. This created high hopes. We got our room (which had a GREAT view of COP [Canada Olympic Park]) and walked in and it smells old. That wasn't a big issue at all as we would be spending only nights here. The room was really basic and quite small with a little balcony backing onto a busy road. The only other thing was the noisy air conditioner but again, that didn't matter much.

• Liked — Convinient Location
  • Disliked — Dated Area
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
british columbia
Reviewed May 6, 2008

Please let me share our Friday night dining experience with you.
Reservations were made at the Calgary COP location over a week ago.
We had such a great experience there on Valentines with a Server named Mary, that it has brought us back 6 more times. Last night was the 7th visit.

Our horrendous experience started when we walked in.

Here were our highlights:

We showed up on time and I think we surprised the staff by requesting the fireplace table as they already had it included in another tour group reservation. After 10 minutes of discussing our reservation amongst themselves, our table was set up.

We noticed that the linen napkins had been replaced with paper serviettes. Very tacky when serving entrees at $27 and $29 per.

When asked for the regular bread basket we were advised that this was no longer available. This was called streamlining the menu.

We noticed that the menu had changed over the past week and is now a lunch / dinner style menu. Very limited but that is your decision.

Two of the place settings were missing one or more utensils.

Choices of 4 appetizers are now listed.
One being the baked Brie in a filo pastry. Served with bread???
When wrapped in Philo I don't assume anyone will be trying to spread it.

No wine menu brought to the table.

Salads were crisp with your choice of Italian or Italian bottled dressing.

Entrees were brought out accordingly and one meal was returned. Took approximately 5 minutes to get a servers attention. You see the tour group had now arrived. After several minutes I informed one of the wait staff to cancel that meal – my fellow dining companions were now finishing.

The menu stated that entrees came with a selection of roast potatoes or mashed potatoes. Actually it was roasted or roasted.??

Silverware was not changed between courses.

Although only 2 people ordered steaks, all four were brought out huge steak knives. When asked for regular knives it took so long that it was just easier to take them from another table.

We were trying to be polite when the co-manager Andy asked how the meals were.
We said fine.

So I will now not be as polite and answer the question accurately.
One steak over done
One steak not cooked enough
Brie cheese had no flavour – must have been purchased at M and M.
Salads were good – no choice of dressing and bad
Cutlery should have been changed.

He should have asked us how our ding experience was.
That we could of summed up as unbelievably disgusting!

Should I have been ecstatic when the co-manager advised that the returned meal was going to be removed from the bill? I would hope so… it was returned. It was not eaten.

We gave him every opportunity to attempt to please us but he stood at our table for minutes on end with a deer in the headlights glaze. After no suggestion of any type of compensation, I then suggested taking care of our bill.
That was out of the question, and that one meal had already been removed. Im sorry, but his lack of management skills were noticed by all. We asked to see Steve the manager but had to wait 15 minutes to find out that “he could not be found”.

To ice the cake, the two young girls kept coming over to the table to ask us how our evening was going.

Mary, the eldest server came over in tears apologizing for such a poor night. This is from someone that was not even serving us.

So there, I have vented how a fun going away party turned into a disaster.

I don't ask for much, but I must stand by my principals.
This was not Earls or Moxies. This is a Sheraton Property!

I would request that you contact your franchisee and have the credit card reversed in the amount of $130.38 Check 338581-1. This is for the entrees only, we will pay for all drinks, apps etc.

Again, its not the money but the principal of leaving money behind for poor service, poor food and an unbelievable co-manager with no people skills.

This was truly a dining nightmare.

Respectfully submitted,

PS - after a lengthy cooling down period I decided to publish my letter. The response was - we are sorry and we were offered a $25 certificate to go back. No thanks!
PSS - Anyone needing a $25 cert can use my name and claim it!
PSSS - Anyone wanting a great meal (not burgers) should not eat here!

Stayed May 2007
3 Thank shuswapcruisers
Kamloops, BC
Reviewed December 17, 2007

The hotel is very nice, the room was clean and very spacious. There were a lot of parties booked at the hotel during our weekend stay, there was some noise, but I can see where it would not be a normal happening if it had been during a different holiday Season. The staff were very helpful.
The Restaurant attached to the hotel was HORRIBLE. our food came over cooked, a request for no onions on the burger did not happen, easy enough to remove, but they made the burgers with Onion soup mix!!!!. The waitress was very apologetic, but the reality is that we would never eat there again, no matter how good the service was.

• Liked — size of the room and the location
  • Disliked — the restaurant attached to the hotel Embers
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
Alton, UK
Reviewed July 27, 2007

Having been driven away from Banff by a plague of mosquitos thisn was a last minute reservation, literally! The staff could not have been more helpful and welcoming. Room & facilities were of a high standard and the food was good too.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank Womblebeak
Scandia, Minnesota
Reviewed April 24, 2007

I had to move out of my downtown hovel because of overbooking. Found this, which was literally the last room in town. I hadn't been out to this part of Calgary before. I really enjoyed the scenery.

Beautiful public areas. Room was immaculate. Wonderful staff who were almost too enthusiastic and helpful.

The food? Pretty gross. But there are four restaurants within walking distance. The furthest one away, Wendy's was FOUR MINUTES walking from the lobby. I timed it.

I will not stay anywhere BUT this hotel again.

Stayed April 2007