“Great atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Econo Lodge South

You added Econo Lodge South to your Saves list
Econo Lodge South
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7505 Macleod Trail South, Calgary, Alberta T2H 0L8, Canada (Southwest Calgary)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #83 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Edmonton, Canada
“Great atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

This hotel/motel was quite clean with some great ammenities. The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. There was a nice pool and excercise room. A continential breakfast was offered every morning. In terms of location, very conveniently located to transit and access to downtown Calgary is quick. It's right on Macleod trail so there are lots of restaurants within walking distance. It looked like it had been recently renovated with some renovations to the roof and exterior ongoing.

Room Tip: smoking rooms are available. There are also rooms with doors that open on ground level in addition t...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
EconoLodgeCalgary, General Manager at Econo Lodge South, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind response and praise for our friendly staff. Comments such as yours help to keep our staff motivated to go the extra mile. And thank you for staying with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

Spent 3 weeks here last year and couldn't fault the place. It was immaculate, bed was fresh every day and the towels. Everything was clean and just a really great place to stay!
Staff were friendly and loads of great places locally to visit, including the Chinook shopping mall. Limericks was a fab pub within crawling distance! Loved it

• Stayed October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you staying at our hotel. It was a pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and everything was perfect for your stay. We look forward to serving you again with same high standard that you have come to expect of us.

Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I would have only rated the hotel itself 3 but the front desk staff was so nice I have no hesitation bumping up a star just because of them.
The hotel itself is a very ordinary motel type establishment. It is the kind of place we stay at if we are blowing through a town or city in North America and we need a bed for the night. Calgary was crowded this Saturday night, the Spruce Meadows horse jumping was on and this was the first hotel we came upon that had any non-smoking rooms available what so ever. We were in town for another big event, The Tour of Alberta, a world class bicycle race but I do not think it had a big impact on the room availablily in Calgary. If you are interested in The Tour of Alberta or other worldly destinations check out our NON commercial blog at http://havecarryonwilltravel.com.
The hotel has a pool that we did not use, free internet, and free breakfast.
The room was clean, and the beds were comfortable but the bathroom could use some work. There was a bit of black mold around the tub in the silicone. Nothing that bothers me but if you are fussy about that sort of thing check the room before you commit.
I did have trouble with the TV, someone had messed with the set up channel and I drew a blank. Again the fellow at the front desk had the answer and as soon as I set the box to channel 3 the pic appeared.
We had a completely noiseless night. There was no ruckus in the hotel and the highway noise was deflected by the strip mall between us and the road.
As I said the front desk staff was great. The fellow met me with a smile and made me laugh. He was light about his job but took it seriously. The lady that settled the bill in the morning was much the same. I went away from the desk both time with a smile and really astounded at how nice people are.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you so much for your wonderful praise for our staff and for staying with us. Your comments about our staff was very well received and encouraging for our staff at the desk to
strive even harder to please all our guests who stay with us. I am glad that the few minor problems that you experienced were resolved to your satisfaction. I am happy to let you and all our guests know that moulds no longer exist in any of our bathrooms. Thank you for pointing that out to us.

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

And yet, as someone said below, it got worse. Me and my friend aren't usually the type to complain or make an issue to a hotel about specific issues that bug us, but this has to be said. We were here from August 6-8 2013 and all we ask for any hotel is an internet connection and a hot tub indoors. This site provided both to us for a cheap price. I knew when we saw the price for this, we needed to lower our expectations and for me and my friend, it isn't hard to lower it when you have lived in Haiti or Zambia with nothing but a mattress and walls. So we knew this would be luxury to us. However, on the first day there, the hot tub was broken and we made an issue on this the first day, and their answer to me was "Well, there's nothing I can do about this". Ummmm, yeah, there is something you can do about this, GET SOMEONE DOWN THERE TO THE HOT TUB AND FIX IT. I've been in customer service rep positions for 6 years and NEVER would I say that to ANY customer. I felt that was downright rude and ignorant to say. Then we found the internet was shotty time and time again through our whole stay. Also, it was kind of suspicious to us when we saw old mattresses sitting outside the back of the hotel and new ones sitting at the front of the hotel, kinda makes you wonder if there is some bed bug issues...not that there was any (I checked our room, we were clean). I will not stay in a place where even my basic needs are not met and I will not recommend this place..

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank Matthew K
EconoLodgeCalgary, General Manager at Econo Lodge South, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
First and foremost I would like to sincerely apologise for the rudeness and poor comments made by any of our staff that offended you. I have discussed this with all our staff so that next time when something breaks down or does not work there will be a more appropriate response that does not sound so abrupt, rude or offensive to any of our guests in future.
Just for your information (and this is not an excuse) after regular office hours no company in Calgary services pools & Hot tubs. To make matters more worse, after the floods in June all businesses in Calgary that needed any kind of repair service electrical, mechanical or otherwise were being asked to wait for a technician for as many as 3 to 4 days right up to October.
I am so sorry that you had to experience that at our hotel.
As for the mattresses, that was a part of our renovation project in our new wing. To make it more efficient new mattresses were being brought in from the front and old ones were being carted out from the back..Just to assure you we do not have bug problems in our rooms.

Our pool and hot tub is now being monitored through out the day to ensure that they are operating at peak performance and all measures are being taken to ensure that it does not happen again.

Travelers are raving about these Calgary hotels

Belleville, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Would I go there again? ... if they cleaned better maybe.
I will agree with most reviewers that the cleanliness is not spectacular. I am sure the sheets are clean and they did an effort of cleaning.
When it came to detail to cleanliness it was obvious there was none.
Tub could use a good scrub and some Tilex to remove the mildew on the tiles.
There was a moldy piece of food between the bed and night table... not sure how long that's been there...

Breakfast was decent, waffles, toast, boiled egg, banana, OJ, Tea, etc.

Friendly staff..

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jennifer L
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

Even though we are non smokers we and our friends took the last two smoking rooms as that was all that was available. The carpet was heavily stained, walls, trim, lamps etc were all yellow smoke coated in need of a wash. Bed was very old and hammock like. NO air conditioning working. Window was screwed closed so couldn't even sleep with a window open. Bath fan didn't work either. The evening desk clerk was very nice at check in and even grabbed us some frebreeze and a table fan.cost was around $149 at a ' prefered' rate, after talking to the manager it was $99. Had to sleep in smoking rooms before with no problems but this place was terrible.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank ManimalChozenBreed
Gold Coast, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Everything about the EL was fantastic. I've stayed in budget accommodation and was sceptical about this one but my fears were put to rest when we walked into a clean room that didn't smell like cigarettes, even though the smoking rooms were 10 metres away. If I was running the hotel, I would have the smoking rooms at the end of the corridor so non-smokers and the pregnant don't have to walk past them on their way to breakfast, etc. The free continental breakfast was good. The hotel is close enough to everything, but far enough away. There is a massive shopping mall a mere 5 minute drive away and as we went for the Stampede, the train, which drops you right outside the front gates, was a 10 minute walk away! My only real concern was the fact that I could hear the room next door turn their shower on early in the morning.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple