“work at Stampede Park”

Comfort Inn & Suites South
Ranked #77 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed October 12, 2012

This is an average hotel all the way around. The room was clean and the service was fine. When I stepped out of the elevator to the second floor there was a "cover up" fragrance smell. Not too much within walking distance. There is a Mall, Chinook, I think, in very close driving distance.

Room Tip: Second floor has a convenient stairway to the lobby
1  Thank KYfryed
There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn & Suites South

Reviewed September 29, 2012

The hotel is average, room was clean and staff were friendly. On check out, I saw an additional daily charge for the room safe. I have not experienced this anywhere else in 30+ years of travelling. I am leaving for Europe tomorrow and there is no extra charge for in-room safes there. I questioned the charge and was stonewalled. I will never stay there or any other Comfort Inn again. We are being nickel and dimed with other small taxes, tourist levies, re-cycling charges etc. My buck will not stop there again. You got my last $6.00 dollars for an unused safe for 3 nights - enjoy it.

2  Thank PickingPal
Reviewed September 28, 2012

The absolute best thing about this spot is that it is very clean and they provide a complimentary breakfast. The surrounding area is terrible, unless you love Hooters (they are directly across the street) and there is no where to get a meal. There is no room service. I would not go there again.

1  Thank j2b2m2
Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights after moving from another hotel blocks away, as soon as you come to reception it smells and looks very clean, we were greeted by a lovely softly spoken lady, all staff are very informative and the c train is just 5 mins walk away, the c train is brilliant and your only 1 stop away from the Chinook centre and I think 6 stops away from Calgary centre, felt very comfortable and had a good nights sleep, breakfast area could possibly be a bit bigger as the tables are quite close to each other but hey they provided everything you could want, the pool and hot pool were fantastic and clean, overall a good hotel to stay in near the city centre.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Sarahjayned
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We were in Calgary to take my Granddaughter to the Zoo to see the new penquins. This hotel was clean, in a great location to get to the Zoo. The front desk people were friendly and very helpful. The pool was great for my granddaughter. Room was a bit dated but clean and comfortable.The full Free breakfast was an nice extra and was really welcomed when you are traveling with a 3 year old. We wil stay again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank shamin7
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights. Great location. Close to downtown, chinatown, Chinook Mall, and only 15 minutes drive to Ikea and Calgary Zoo.

It's located on a main street, you'd think it'll be noisy. Well, actually the room air conditioning is much noisier than the traffic noise. So I don't think it matters whether your room is street facing or not.

We had the King Suite, which has a king size bed and TV in a separate room, and a pull out sofabed and another TV in the living room. The bed inside the room is great, but the sofabed really sucks. I really advise not using it. The separate room is great for us since we travel with our son. He gets to nap in one room, while we watch tv in the other room.

There's laundry facility in the basement that I used. It's really convenient, especially if you've been travelling for days and needs some cleaner clothes to wear. Each machine costs $2, and you can buy detergent from the vending machine in the lobby. Feel free to bring your own detergents if you anticipated using the machines. The detergent from the vending cost $1.50 per load. There's also a pack of 2 dryer sheets for another $1.50.

Breakfast was typical breakfast in Comfort inns. There's waffle machine, toasts, bagels, english muffins, yogurts, hard boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, breakfast patties, cereals, coffee and tea.
I say avoid the scrambled eggs, they just don't taste good.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Mariatta W
Reviewed August 1, 2012

This hotel is just what I needed after so many nights at loud, disappointing hotels. From the second I walked in the door and was greeted by a smiling person at the front desk, to the second I saw the nice furnishings and cool, modern carpet in the hallway, to the second that I saw the room; I was hooked. Then it happened: I didn't hear anything. Not one sound. In fact, the entire two nights I spent there I literally didn't hear one door slam, one person talking / laughing / yelling in an ajacent room; nothing. It was THEE best, most-quiet hotel stay in quite a while for me.

The bathroom was nice and the towels were nice and thick and fresh. The bed was one of the best I've ever slept in. I literally dropped into a deep sleep from the shear comfort of the bed and pillows and the pin-drop-quiet of my room. It was thee best sleep I've had in weeks; no lie. The AC unit worked well as did the wireless; although, hotel wireless systems never seem to work as fast as they do at home or the office. The tv was great; a nice flat screen with plenty of channels.

The breakfast was excellent with scrambled eggs and sausage patties, hardboiled eggs, yogurt, waffles, toast and cereal, packets of oatmeal, juices and coffee. And, golden delicious apples! What a treat; they're my favorite variety and they were big and perfect. The pool and hot tub area was outstanding with a big water slide into the pool! That was cool, and even though I didn't have time to use it, I'm kicking myself now for not at least trying the pool and hot tub. I checked it out a couple of times and it was empty every time. What a waste, I won't pass that up next time. The work out room was nice, too.

The only thing that I wish this hotel would have had would be a stair all the way up to the 4th floor. I'd much rather take the stairs instead of waiting for the elevator, to get some exercise. There was plenty of parking and TONS of restaurant choices a short distance from the hotel. Calgary is one of my favorite cities on earth, I can't wait to go back again and when I do, I WILL stay at the Comfort Inn & Suites South! Very well done, Choice team.

Room Tip: This is one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in. Not the most fancy, not the newest, not the...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business