“Great new bedding”

Ranked #86 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Regina, Canada
“Great new bedding”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We found the newly renovated rooms nicely appointed and the bedding brand new. The staff were most accommodating. The hotel is easily accessible. We hope to stop again on our way through. Parking is great.

Room Tip: Ask for the newly furnished rooms
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Saddiq K, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, April 29, 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 14, 2014

We stayed there overnight and the manager and staff were extremely helpful and made several exceptions for us - they gave us a room upgrade and a late check out at no charge due to our work circumstances.
The hotel was very clean and in a great location.
Thank you so much for your hospitality and generous support.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Saddiq K, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, April 16, 2014

We very much appreciate and value your feedback and will share it with our team. Your survey responses will serve as encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services to provide an exceptional experience for our guests. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. Our renovations are in the final phase with new carpets, tiles and decor, the hotel will look absolutely stunning and can be comparred to any 5 star hotel in the city. You must come again and check out our new updated stunning look!!

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Renovations are improving the overall appearance of the rooms and hallways. More modern televisions are in the rooms now. Housekeeping still needs some improvement but much better than last year. Every complaint brought to management was dealt with immediately and the service is definitely better than last year. I use the hotel for business purpose because of proximity to LTR and convenience to office when I am in town. Sam takes a lot of pride in the improvements made over the last 4 months and treats me very well every time i come to town. Their breakfast is much better than a lot of hotels i have been to when travelling for work. Only major complaint is that wireless is sometimes slower than desired in the evenings.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Tobydad
Saddiq K, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, April 3, 2014

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2014

I stayed in the Comfort Inn for a week in February 2014. The housekeeping was absolutely the worst I have ever experienced in any hotel I have ever stayed in, including hotels in developing countries.

My bathroom was simply not cleaned at all for the entire week. I don't mean that it was poorly cleaned. I mean that it was not cleaned AT ALL, not a single swipe of a cloth on any surface. There were hairs in the sheets and towels. My towels were taken and not replaced, so I had to hunt down the housekeeping cart and take some for myself.

The only service provided was that my bed was made most days.

One day I came back to the room to find that the housekeeping staff had taken my bottle of champagne out of the fridge and left it on the counter. I don't know if they drank it, since I hadn't paid attention to how much I had left in the bottle. So weird.

Do yourself a favour and avoid this hotel!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank HappyCamper96
Saddiq K, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
First of all I must apologize for the issue with the housekeeping. We have more than adequate staff to take care of the daily housekeeping and on top of that we have a room checker as well as an executive housekeeper. The only way a room is left untouched if the guest puts a Do Not Disturb Card on the door. It may have been possible that when they came to service the room of this guest, there was a DND on the room. Nonetheless, we have staff available 24/7/365 at the front desk to take care of such small issues and if this was raised during their stay it would have been addressed accordingly and every effort would have been made by the staff and management to make their stay comfortable and enjoyable.

I am sorry for the frustration this guest felt but can assure you this is not at all the kind of standard our hotel provides.
Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

I was in Calgary for a week in June 2013. I spent one night here then checked out and moved to the Comfort Inn near the airport. What a difference! University location is below any reasonable housekeeping standards. The hallways and rooms have dirty, stained and smelly carpets. The room had hair all over the bathroom floor. The white sheets on both beds were an off white approaching yellow. I thought perhaps it may have improved in the past year so I reserved for this week. The only noticable changes since last year is that it is now worse. Again, I checked out after one night and moved again to the Comfort Inn airport location. It's like day and night.
Note how the general manager pastes the same reply after every review. He has obviously never visited his hotel. A must avoid hotel.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank CarmenfromOttawa
Saddiq K, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to complete our online survey regarding your recent stay at Comfort Inn & Suites University.

Allow me to apologize on behalf of our hotel for failing to meet your expectations regarding the bedding on your recent visit. I have shared your feedback with our hosekeeping manager to ensure we handle these types of situations differently in the future. We are implementing a new bedding program approved by Choice Hotels franchise and pretty soon all Choise Hotels will be changing to that new triple sheeting bedding program, which I am sure you will definately love.

Again, thank you for your time and valuable feedback. We sincerely appreciate it and hope you will give us another chance to provide you with superior service and accommodations on your next visit to Calgary.
Edmonton
Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights in March. This hotel is very run down and is nowhere near worth the $160-$180/night that they charge.

Our room was smelly, the quilts stained, there were pubes on the top of the toilet lid (!!!???) and when the sheets had pulled up, we saw the filthy mattress underneath.

Our coffee pot didn't work, toilets didn't flush properly, and there is an unfinished area near the front desk.

The location may be good, but there were other hotels nearby that we will most definitely stay at when we come back.

When we complained about the high rate on check out, the front desk staff looked disinterested and did not offer any kind of a discount.

If we paid $50 a night I would have been OK with the room because you generally get what you pay for. But in this case we definitely got ripped off.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank calagirl
Saddiq K, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, March 6, 2014

We are undergoing renovations and I hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience. All the renovations on the guest floors have been completed and all the rooms are now equipped with flat screen LED TVs with digital boxes, brand new carpets and a fresh new design and look.

Our breakfast is a full hot buffet breakfast which includes, scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, sausages, muffins, waffles, cereals, tea, coffee, juices, oatmeal, etc. Our breakfast in fact is quite popular as it is not just coffee and toast as offered by other hotels. In addition to the above, we have a 2 story high water slide with an indoor heated water park and a Jacuzzi.

I do hope you will give us another opportunity to serve your hospitality needs and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back to our hotel.
St. Albert, Canada
Reviewed February 28, 2014

When we called to book our room, we requested a fridge and a microwave. We were told that may or may not happen, but they would see what the could to accommodate us. We arrived and checked in and were told all those standard rooms with microwaves were full, but we could upgrade to a suite for only and additional $30/night so we could have a microwave. Decided not worry about it.

When we arrived at our room, we found neither our heater or thermostat were working in our room - hard to fall asleep when you are chattering. When we went downstairs to find a maintenance person to help us out, was told the front desk clerk was the only person on staff and no one else could help us - the manager was in Toronto, and the maintenance person was done for the day. She offered to switch our rooms - by this time I had two 12-year old boys trying to sleep for the next day, so my initial response was no; however, as the temperature was to dip to -35, I choose heat and a late night sleep. I fail to understand how a hotel that is "sold out" has only one staff person on shift. How much should you expect when you are playing close to $200/night?

What a gong show - should at minimum heaters be checked? BTW, we moved all our stuff to our new room, we found a microwave....

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Michelle W

Your reservation was made under a group reservation for a standard room. All standard rooms are equipped with flat screen LCD TVs, digital boxes, coffee makers and mini refrigeators. Only the suites have microwaves in them in addition to the other equipment. Upon arrival she complained that the heat in the room was not working. When the management checked the room, the heat was working fine only the temp had to be turned up. Nonetheless, the guest was offered an upgrade to the suite which was not accpetable to the guest. Finally the guest was moved to the executive floor at no additional charge which did have a microwave.

Not only that, after check out the managment as a gesture of goodwill posted a refund for the guest in order to satisfy her.

We are proud of our facilities at our hotel which featurs a full hot buffet breakfast which includes, scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, sausages, muffins, waffles, cereals, tea, coffee, juices, oatmeal, etc. Our breakfast in fact is quite popular as it is not just coffee and toast as offered by other hotels. In addition to the above, we have a 2 story high water slide with an indoor heated water park and a Jacuzzi.